BC at Clemson

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

BC at Clemson

Postby bignick33 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:36 pm

BC got blown out yesterday, but came back and blew out Clemson 11-5 today behind their ace, Pat Dean. The rubber game is tomorrow afternoon. Clemson is very strong this year.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Re: BC at Clemson

Postby bignick33 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:18 am

BC blew several leads on Sunday, including a 8-5 lead in the 7th to lose the final game of the series. Taking one out of three at Clemson is what they likely were shooting for, but they missed a legitimate opportunity to take the series yesterday.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Dirtywater75 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:54 am

This season has been a huge disappointment as a result of abysmal pitching other than Dean. Its particularly frustrating in view of the solid hitting line up we seem to have wasted. What do you think happened to the pitching? Is it a coaching/preparation issue or did we just not evaluate the pitching talent sufficiently in the recruiting process? Can it be corrected or do we just need better horses? I agree - we had that game won yesterday and just choked. We also made some huge fielding errors.
Dirtywater75
Carney Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:36 am

I don't think there is a systematic issue here. Our pitching gradually improved leading up to last year, and even last year, it wasn't exactly spectacular. Certainly, even when things were going well last year for much of the season, the pitching depth was tenuous. This year, there has been a confluence of factors that has caused the current situation: 1) Loss of guys who pitched a lot of innings last year , 2) Injuries, 3) Freshman not stepping up. Additionally, Dennhardt and especially Moran have apparently regressed since last year.

I wouldn't call this season a failure yet (RPI is reasonably high at 45) because there is still a lot of time left in the season for things to sort themselves out. Making the ACC Tournament is still a reasonable and attainable goal. And the future is clearly bright offensively.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby weinerdog on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:16 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:I don't think there is a systematic issue here. Our pitching gradually improved leading up to last year, and even last year, it wasn't exactly spectacular. Certainly, even when things were going well last year for much of the season, the pitching depth was tenuous. This year, there has been a confluence of factors that has caused the current situation: 1) Loss of guys who pitched a lot of innings last year , 2) Injuries, 3) Freshman not stepping up. Additionally, Dennhardt and especially Moran have apparently regressed since last year.

I wouldn't call this season a failure yet (RPI is reasonably high at 45) because there is still a lot of time left in the season for things to sort themselves out. Making the ACC Tournament is still a reasonable and attainable goal. And the future is clearly bright offensively.

Sure, it’d be better to make the conference tournament than not make it… but it wouldn’t say much. We could accomplish it with about a 9-21 ACC record. We’ll know soon, though, whether this season’s going to be salvageable or not: the next two series are against the two Atlantic teams worse than us. It’s not inconceiveable that BC could start to roll. Of course, given the utter lack of reliable pitching, I’m not betting on that.

I’m very disappointed in the way the team is playing this year. But at least they’re not stuck wearing uniforms like VT’s. That’d just be insult on top of it all.
"...and, more importantly, me."
--Gene DeFilippo, January 7, 2009.
weinerdog
McGuinn Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:27 pm

With the news guys coming in this year and the guys we lost, everyone knew it was going to be an uphill battle all season. Clemson was a real test and 1 out of 3, granted on the road speaks volumes about our team this year. On a side note……..too bad the guys were playing @Clemson this weekend……70degrees here in early April if we only had a home weekend series…..I blame GDF :lame joking, or am I?
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:30 pm

weinerdog {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:I don't think there is a systematic issue here. Our pitching gradually improved leading up to last year, and even last year, it wasn't exactly spectacular. Certainly, even when things were going well last year for much of the season, the pitching depth was tenuous. This year, there has been a confluence of factors that has caused the current situation: 1) Loss of guys who pitched a lot of innings last year , 2) Injuries, 3) Freshman not stepping up. Additionally, Dennhardt and especially Moran have apparently regressed since last year.

Sure, it’d be better to make the conference tournament than not make it… but it wouldn’t say much. We could accomplish it with about a 9-21 ACC record. We’ll know soon, though, whether this season’s going to be salvageable or not: the next two series are against the two Atlantic teams worse than us. It’s not inconceiveable that BC could start to roll. Of course, given the utter lack of reliable pitching, I’m not betting on that.

I’m very disappointed in the way the team is playing this year. But at least they’re not stuck wearing uniforms like VT’s. That’d just be insult on top of it all.

I'm not saying that making the ACC Tournament is some sort of great accomplishment, but let's not forget that last year was the first time BC had ever made it.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Return to Shea Field