Red Sox Weirdos

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Red Sox Weirdos

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:12 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
gallopingghost {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I also think this trade and willingness to chance losing Lester (or more so the lack of a legit offer in the first place) says a lot about what the Sox think of their farm. Tons of potential front line starters (De La Rosa, Webster, Owens, Renaudo, Escobar, Barnes), decent infielders (Cecchini, Marrerro), catchers (Vasquez and Swihart) and light-hitting OFs (Bradley, Betts), but other than Bogaerts, there isn't a power hitting OF or corner IF in the entire system. Given what is available, trading for a major league ready power hitter was almost a necessity.

Owens is 14-4, 2.44 ERA at Portland. He needs to start moving up. The next Randy Johnson. He is 22, Lester is 30.

Owens needs to move up to AAA but his weak fastball and decent but unspectacular control are giving me Michael Bowden 2.0 visions.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:34 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Now hearing Miller to Os for Pedro

BEER AND WINGZ FOR ME!
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BearTerritory on Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:55 pm

Cespedes has home run derby power, .3 OBP, and a great arm which comes in handy when he muffs a single and throws the guy out at third. I don't think he fit into the A's plans after next year. Still, only his third year in MLB all at the majors and a lot more interesting for the Sox than some prospect.

Is Craig this year's James Loney?
BearTerritory
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:55 am

BearTerritory {l Wrote}:Cespedes has home run derby power, .3 OBP, and a great arm which comes in handy when he muffs a single and throws the guy out at third. I don't think he fit into the A's plans after next year. Still, only his third year in MLB all at the majors and a lot more interesting for the Sox than some prospect.

Cespedes costs too much for the As - he is the exact opposite of their type of player. Red Sox have no such concerns and his ceiling is unlimited. Great deal for the Sox, but gives the As a shot to win this year in exchange for a player they were never going to sign after next season,

Yes. Don't see a spot for Craig in the lineup. He's not replacing Napoli, Ortiz, Cespedes or Victorino. I suppose if you give up on Bradley, he can play left with Victorino in center and Cespedes in RF. Or if you give up on Middlebrooks and Marerro and Cechinni, he can play 3B. Don't think that will happen short of moving a few of those guys for pitching this offseason.

Figure the Sox to add two pitchers (Shields and Lester?) and pencil in De la Rosa and Webster with Buchholz.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby gallopingghost on Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:06 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BearTerritory {l Wrote}:Cespedes has home run derby power, .3 OBP, and a great arm which comes in handy when he muffs a single and throws the guy out at third. I don't think he fit into the A's plans after next year. Still, only his third year in MLB all at the majors and a lot more interesting for the Sox than some prospect.

Cespedes costs too much for the As - he is the exact opposite of their type of player. Red Sox have no such concerns and his ceiling is unlimited. Great deal for the Sox, but gives the As a shot to win this year in exchange for a player they were never going to sign after next season,

Yes. Don't see a spot for Craig in the lineup. He's not replacing Napoli, Ortiz, Cespedes or Victorino. I suppose if you give up on Bradley, he can play left with Victorino in center and Cespedes in RF. Or if you give up on Middlebrooks and Marerro and Cechinni, he can play 3B. Don't think that will happen short of moving a few of those guys for pitching this offseason.

Figure the Sox to add two pitchers (Shields and Lester?) and pencil in De la Rosa and Webster with Buchholz.

Renaudo is pitching tonight. Let's see how he does.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:24 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I can't believe I am going to have to root for Craig, who I crapped on incessantly to piss off Hansen

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:25 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I can't believe I am going to have to root for Craig, who I crapped on incessantly to piss off Hansen

If Allen Craig could hit, the Cardinals would not have been impotent against any generic lefty.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:26 am

If craig regains his hitting form the last two seasons, then the Sox probably win this trade as Kelly is a solid 3-4 guy.
If not, the cards make out like bandits dumping Craigs big contract and picking up 1.5 seasons of Lackey who is a solid postseason guy.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:28 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Edes is reporting the Cardinals are close to a deal for Lackey.

I'll be shocked if Lackey actually plays for $500k next year.

Joe Kelly and Allen Craig. Meh.

Lackey either must retire or play for 500K.
Either way, he confirmed to cards management as part of the trade that he's in for next year.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:29 am

hansen {l Wrote}:and picking up 1.5 seasons of Lackey

This part warrants a giant asterisk.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:31 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Edes is reporting the Cardinals are close to a deal for Lackey.

Either way, he confirmed to cards management as part of the trade that he's in for next year.

No way Lackey pitches for league minimum next year. You are an idiot for thinking that. Hence the reason that we only got two mediocre players.

Thinking Allen Craig has a big contract is a telltale sign you are a small market fan. He makes less than 10 million all but the last and club option years and only makes $5 million next season
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:03 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

No way Lackey pitches for league minimum next year. You are an idiot for thinking that. Hence the reason that we only got two mediocre players.

Thinking Allen Craig has a big contract is a telltale sign you are a small market fan. He makes less than 10 million all but the last and club option years and only makes $5 million next season

in fairness to hasren, that's a hefty amount to pay for a guy that can't hit a leftie
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BearTerritory on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:41 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Yeah, it's potentially a good deal for the Sox and if they resign Lester an Act of God. Also a good deal for the A's who can now face Detroit without a guy they brought up in mid season (Sonny Gray) as their ace; plus the A's score a lot of runs. Gomes will do his voodoo against lefties so Cespedes bat won't be missed that much. Billy is all in this year; don't know if he's retiring, buying a soccer team or looking for a movie sequel.

The Lackey deal is more puzzling. He's given them two good years in a row, gives you a lot of innings and I'm not sure the replacement cost is any less. I can't see the younger guys making that jump yet.
BearTerritory
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:55 pm

BearTerritory {l Wrote}:Also a good deal for the A's who can now face Detroit without a guy they brought up in mid season (Sonny Gray) as their ace

Based on current standings

Detroit at Baltimore
Winner of Toronto at LA would be at Oakland
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:57 pm

BearTerritory {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Yeah, it's potentially a good deal for the Sox and if they resign Lester an Act of God. Also a good deal for the A's who can now face Detroit without a guy they brought up in mid season (Sonny Gray) as their ace; plus the A's score a lot of runs. Gomes will do his voodoo against lefties so Cespedes bat won't be missed that much. Billy is all in this year; don't know if he's retiring, buying a soccer team or looking for a movie sequel.

The Lackey deal is more puzzling. He's given them two good years in a row, gives you a lot of innings and I'm not sure the replacement cost is any less. I can't see the younger guys making that jump yet.

People seem to think Lackey is going to play baseball for $500,000 next year. Not sure why.

And through 9 starts De la Rosa has been as good or better than Lackey for the most part. He's obviously an unproven commodity, but it is not like Lackey is Sandy Koufax these days
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:59 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BearTerritory {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

People seem to think Lackey is going to play baseball for $500,000 next year. Not sure why.

pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:07 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I don't get the idea that the Sox are going to resign Lester.

It's going to take what 6 for 120? 5 for 100? Think they're too smart to give that type of $ to a 31 year old starter + if you sawx weird0z are right they have enough arms on the farm to do that whereas a team like the Yankees that have nothing with Tanaka out for 2015 and CC shot need to pay whatever it takes to get an arm.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:14 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I don't get the idea that the Sox are going to resign Lester.

It's going to take what 6 for 120? 5 for 100? Think they're too smart to give that type of $ to a 31 year old starter + if you sawx weird0z are right they have enough arms on the farm to do that whereas a team like the Yankees that have nothing with Tanaka out for 2015 and CC shot need to pay whatever it takes to get an arm.

They have said they would make exceptions - it is not a hard and fast rule. And Lester is never hurt. And Lester wants to be back if the money is there. Not sure if I would sign him, but they might. Not saying it is a likelihood - earlier I put it at 50%. It's that optimistic because you know that the team he went to won't extend him before the contract is up (like the Sox are likely to do with Cespedes).
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:23 pm

I don't see the Sawx sniffing the type of $ the Yanks are going to throw around for a 31 year old SP.

If he wants to take a severe discount to come back? Sure. Different to say vs when it's a difference of $20+ MM
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:36 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:I don't see the Sawx sniffing the type of $ the Yanks are going to throw around for a 31 year old SP.

If he wants to take a severe discount to come back? Sure. Different to say vs when it's a difference of $20+ MM

They won't even be in it at that size discount. It will be years, not cash, that makes the difference. I can see Yankees offering 6 and 150 and the Sox offering 4 and 100. Like I said, they may not get him, but they will be in it, and they will be high enough to raise the Yankees' price.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:50 pm

1. Brock Holt (L) RF
2. Dustin Pedroia (R) 2B
3. David Ortiz (L) DH
4. Mike Napoli (R) 1B
5. Allen Craig (R) LF
6. Xander Bogaerts (R) SS
7. Will Middlebrooks (R) 3B
8. David Ross (R) C
9. Mookie Betts (R) CF
SP Anthony Ranaudo (R) (0-0, - ERA)

Cespedes is arriving late, will be available.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby gallopingghost on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:44 am

It is time to pull the plug on Buchholz. He was never an overpowering pitcher to begin with. He has lost all his control for whatever reason. He has been good in 1 1/2 seasons out of 6. They have stuck with him for many years and he easily could have been trade bait, especially after he pitched a no hitter in his second game.

Who knows, he might do OK as a set up guy if he only has to pitch on or two innings.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:51 am

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:It is time to pull the plug on Buchholz. He was never an overpowering pitcher to begin with. He has lost all his control for whatever reason. He has been good in 1 1/2 seasons out of 6. They have stuck with him for many years and he easily could have been trade bait, especially after he pitched a no hitter in his second game.

Who knows, he might do OK as a set up guy if he only has to pitch on or two innings.

Not sure what you mean by "pull the plug." Your suggestion to move him to the bullpen might be worth a shot. But I don't think you'll get anything for him on the trade market, and I wouldn't cut him outright. If I had to guess right now, I think he's still part of the rotation coming out of spring training next year.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:44 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:I don't see the Sawx sniffing the type of $ the Yanks are going to throw around for a 31 year old SP.

They won't even be in it at that size discount. It will be years, not cash, that makes the difference. I can see Yankees offering 6 and 150 and the Sox offering 4 and 100. Like I said, they may not get him, but they will be in it, and they will be high enough to raise the Yankees' price.

i'm starting to think that paying big money for any player over 30 just is not worth it.
looking at how many bad contracts there are in baseball right now.
as much as i though the cards were going to resign pujols a few years ago, the cards lucked out big time... if they had been stuck with his contract, then there is no way they could even field a contending team. and pujols is just one of 20 or so mega contracts out there just like it.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:09 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

i'm starting to think that paying big money for any player over 30 just is not worth it.
as much as i though the cards were going to resign pujols a few years ago, the cards lucked out big time... if they had been stuck with his contract, then there is no way they could even field a contending team. and pujols is just one of 20 or so mega contracts out there just like it.

You can do it if it is short term and renewed annually like Ortiz.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:36 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

You can do it if it is short term and renewed annually like Ortiz.

Agreed

Interesting article about lackey's generosity...

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:56 am

Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:57 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Sox are expected to lock up Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval today.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24834591/red-sox-trying-tof-mega-free-agent-doube-play-panda-and-hanley

Well the lineup will be scary as shit, but the defense will blow and neither of these guys can pitch.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:10 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Sox are expected to lock up Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval today.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24834591/red-sox-trying-tof-mega-free-agent-doube-play-panda-and-hanley

Well the lineup will be scary as shit, but the defense will blow and neither of these guys can pitch.

Sandoval is a very good fielder. Ramirez is brutal
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:24 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Sandoval is a very good fielder. Ramirez is brutal

Ramirez is going to the OF. Don't have to be a good fielder in left there. Plus, he'll be the DH once Papi retires.

Hearing Lester is the next shoe to drop
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Shea Field