Red Sox Weirdos

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Red Sox Weirdos

Postby bignick33 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:45 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Sox have to figure out the pitching, but damn they have a ton of good young offensive talent. This Middlebrooks is going to be a superstar, and Kalish has all the tools. Salty is finally getting it. Add in Ellsbury, Pedroia, Gonzo and I guess Crawford, and Lavarnway at DH and all you need is Iglesias to start hitting and they are in good shape for a long time.

Now they need a couple of arms.

I agree that Middlebrooks is that good. He is pretty much a prototypical 3B with his combination of size, power, and athleticism. His upside is Scott Rolen. That said, I'm wondering when opposing teams will begin to realize that he's very aggressive at the plate and absolutely destroys fastballs. When they do, he'll have a considerable adjustment period, not unlike a lot of promising young hitters.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:46 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Sox have to figure out the pitching, but damn they have a ton of good young offensive talent. This Middlebrooks is going to be a superstar, and Kalish has all the tools. Salty is finally getting it. Add in Ellsbury, Pedroia, Gonzo and I guess Crawford, and Lavarnway at DH and all you need is Iglesias to start hitting and they are in good shape for a long time.

Now they need a couple of arms.

I agree that Middlebrooks is that good. He is pretty much a prototypical 3B with his combination of size, power, and athleticism. His upside is Scott Rolen. That said, I'm wondering when opposing teams will begin to realize that he's very aggressive at the plate and absolutely destroys fastballs. When they do, he'll have a considerable adjustment period, not unlike a lot of promising young hitters.

This is true, he will struggle with guys that can pound the zone with off speed. But (a) there aren't many pitchers with that kind of command of the off speed stuff, and (b) he'll do what Harper is doing and start sitting on it. Harper was starting to struggle with that, but then I saw him against the Yankees this weekend tee off on a couple of first pitch, get-me-over curve balls from Nova.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:06 pm

NESN is reporting that Youkilis was traded to the White Sox.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby bignick33 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:09 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:NESN is reporting that Youkilis was traded to the White Sox.

I just got an alert from CBS Boston Sports on my phone. Any word what the (red) sox get in return?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby branchinator on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:17 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:NESN is reporting that Youkilis was traded to the White Sox.

I just got an alert from CBS Boston Sports on my phone. Any word what the (red) sox get in return?

A pile of shit. And they had to pay all but 1 million of his remaining salary.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby Shredder on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:20 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:

RHP Zach Stewart, who has options remaining, and utilityman Brent Lillibridge. Contributed $5.5M to the $7M remaining on Youk's salary. It was a move that had to be made and made the team better. Stewart provides pitching depth at AAA and Lillibridge gives the team some speed and defense. There'll be more moves coming.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:06 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

A pile of shit. And they had to pay all but 1 million of his remaining salary.

A pile of shit is what they traded too, so seems like a fair deal.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:33 pm

He came up in another thread...Crawford to Florida rumors are heating up today.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:34 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:He came up in another thread...Crawford to Florida rumors are heating up today.

For? The Sox appear to be beating the bushes on little Upton too.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:36 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:He came up in another thread...Crawford to Florida rumors are heating up today.

I just read:

USA Today {l Wrote}:the Marlins approached the Red Sox about sending them Hanley Ramirez and Heath Bell for CC
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:11 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I just read:

USA Today {l Wrote}:the Marlins approached the Red Sox about sending them Hanley Ramirez and Heath Bell for CC

Ummm, no way, I'm not biting.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:17 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/story/2012-07-18/carl-crawford-hanley-ramirez-trade/56309810/1

What would they do with Bell? For once the bullpen is fine. They need a starter.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:18 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I just read:

Ummm, no way, I'm not biting.

Bell's and Ramirez's contracts end well before Crawford's does. This will appeal to them as a get out of jail free card.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:18 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/story/2012-07-18/carl-crawford-hanley-ramirez-trade/56309810/1

What would they do with Bell? For once the bullpen is fine. They need a starter.

What were they supposed to do with Mike Lowell?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:14 pm

I'm all for that trade, I am just shocked that Miami would take on Crawford's contract to get a get out of jail free card.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:00 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'm all for that trade, I am just shocked that Miami would take on Crawford's contract to get a get out of jail free card.

Yeah if the Marlins will take Crawford for those two the Sox should take that deal yesterday.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:01 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/story/2012-07-18/carl-crawford-hanley-ramirez-trade/56309810/1

What were they supposed to do with Mike Lowell?

Meh, I don't see him being the surprise that Lowell was. I know you can never haven enough bullpen help but I'd rather get a starter. It sounds like they're shopping Josh Johnson too.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:03 pm

Not that I would be against it as it would handcuff a team in the NL East with limited revenue that is already falling way short on their attendance ideas even in teh 1st year of a stadium...

But there's no way in hell it happens.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:26 pm

Rumor has it that it is the Sox that will prevent it from happening, and not the Marlins. I would have thought the other way around. It is an absolute, 1000% no brainer for the Sox. Shit, I will throw in that overated nibbler Lester too.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:55 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Rumor has it that it is the Sox that will prevent it from happening, and not the Marlins. I would have thought the other way around. It is an absolute, 1000% no brainer for the Sox. Shit, I will throw in that overated nibbler Lester too.

if it's true that the Sox are holding this up they ought to make the trade but throw in Cherington.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:25 am

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Rumor has it that it is the Sox that will prevent it from happening, and not the Marlins. I would have thought the other way around. It is an absolute, 1000% no brainer for the Sox. Shit, I will throw in that overated nibbler Lester too.

if it's true that the Sox are holding this up they ought to make the trade but throw in Cherington.

Well they should do that anyway, he's an idiot.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:52 pm

So....Lester to the Braves?

One consolation to the Red Sox sucking is that WEEI and Sports Hub are infinitely more entertaining with all the yahoos calling in to vent/pitch their ridiculous trade ideas.

But seriously, Ellsbury is gone next year so they might as well shop him around.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:54 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:So....Lester to the Braves?

One consolation to the Red Sox sucking is that WEEI and Sports Hub are infinitely more entertaining with all the yahoos calling in to vent/pitch their ridiculous trade ideas.

But seriously, Ellsbury is gone next year so they might as well shop him around.

Ellsbury to the Angels for Mike Trout :chewbanka
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:59 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Ellsbury to the Angels for Mike Trout :chewbanka

Please call one of the stations with that. :koolaid
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:10 pm

There's a twitter account solely for idiotic trades proposed to WFAN (@WFANTrades)

A gem from Friday was: "Trade Bay for a couple of relievers"

Once informed that Bay is terrible and being paid a ton, the caller responds: Maybe we can find a GM that isn't playing attention...
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby EagleNYC on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:53 pm

Unless there is something wrong with Lester physically, he's the classic guy who may greatly benefit from a change of scenery. He's dominate the NL. Trade him to the Cardinals and he'd be a top 5 Cy Young candiate for the next 5 years.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:08 pm

Lester's problem is the same as it has always been. He nibbles, gets behind in counts, and throws 110 pitches in 4.2 innings pitched. The problem is exacerbated now because he used to throw nasty pitches in the inevitable 3-1 counts - now he is grooving it for some reason.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby EagleNYC on Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:13 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Lester's problem is the same as it has always been. He nibbles, gets behind in counts, and throws 110 pitches in 4.2 innings pitched. The problem is exacerbated now because he used to throw nasty pitches in the inevitable 3-1 counts - now he is grooving it for some reason.

He's also pitching in a brutal division and I think it's fair to say that he hasn't recovered from beer/chicken gate. If he's fine physically, new surroundings could set him straight very quickly. He's 28 years old and left-handed.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:35 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Lester's problem is the same as it has always been. He nibbles, gets behind in counts, and throws 110 pitches in 4.2 innings pitched. The problem is exacerbated now because he used to throw nasty pitches in the inevitable 3-1 counts - now he is grooving it for some reason.

He's also pitching in a brutal division and I think it's fair to say that he hasn't recovered from beer/chicken gate. If he's fine physically, new surroundings could set him straight very quickly. He's 28 years old and left-handed.

No doubt, he is a horse physically. I suspect that the muscle between his ears is his biggest problem. Guy's a major whining headcase.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:54 pm

The red sox turned down the idea of Crawford for Bell and Hanley?

Are they insane?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Shea Field