Red Sox Weirdos

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Red Sox Weirdos

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:30 pm

Well there is a stat but I don't see how somebody who pitches a max of like 60 innings, most of which is condensed in one inning per game, a year has the potential to swing a team from mid-90s wins to the high 80s.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:00 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Well there is a stat but I don't see how somebody who pitches a max of like 60 innings, most of which is condensed in one inning per game, a year has the potential to swing a team from mid-90s wins to the high 80s.

well the Red sox bullpen is 0 for 1 in 1 game. That's a shitty percentage.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:12 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Well there is a stat but I don't see how somebody who pitches a max of like 60 innings, most of which is condensed in one inning per game, a year has the potential to swing a team from mid-90s wins to the high 80s.

And Andrew Bailey's injury did not have an impact on the game. Melancon probably would've gotten the call regardless.

Edit: The only good that could come from this is a fire Bobby V movement so he has more time to build decks and make wraps and alert Stamford, CT residents of snow emergencies.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:13 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

And Andrew Bailey's injury did not have an impact on the game. Melancon probably would've gotten the call regardless.

Keep telling yourself that. Terry Francona puts Papelbon in there.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:14 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Edit: The only good that could come from this is a fire Bobby V movement so he has more time to build decks and make wraps and alert Stamford, CT residents of snow emergencies.

I was at the BC gamewatch with other nexus members at Bobby V's establishment, the clientele was as interesting as Bobby V
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:51 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

And therein lies your first fallacy.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:12 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

And therein lies your first fallacy.

Terry Francona was an idiot. This team just has a crappy bullpen that will easily cost them 10+ games. Don't really care to argue VORP.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:08 am

It's WAR, actually.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:14 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:It's WAR, actually.

Nah, it's not war, I don't care enough to fight.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:25 am

No. Wins Above Replacement. WAR. Not Value Over Replacement Player either.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:48 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:No. Wins Above Replacement. WAR. Not Value Over Replacement Player either.

EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:57 am

I'm not arguing, just clarifying.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:24 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:I'm not arguing, just clarifying.

No one cares, save your breath.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:42 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Whatever you say champ. You obviously seem to have some vested interest, so this little flirting game is cute in a sense.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:50 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Whatever you say champ. You obviously seem to have some vested interest, so this little flirting game is cute in a sense.

Something about war or something.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:02 pm

Fuck it, I'm bored, I already ruined the Bruins Weirdos thread so might as well do it with the Red Sox Weirdos one.

Why is gaining an understanding of advanced metrics stupid? I have never heard you say something to the contrary, just that you don't like them. Seeing as how you are a lawyer, I am curious if you are willing to let that stand. Usually if you want to form a decent counterargument you have to gain an understanding of what you are going against and you have basically resorted to the old sportswriter "Mom's Basement" argument, which falls flat on numerous legs, especially the most basic one of they have no idea what they are talking about when deriding these measures. I figure this bores you so I won't be surprised if you take your backpack and put it over one of your shoulder and go home to sit on your backward facing chair but, hell, at least humor me.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:07 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:I figure this bores you so I won't be surprised if you take your backpack and put it over one of your shoulder and go home to sit on your backward facing chair but, hell, at least humor me.

uh, WTF?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:10 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Fuck it, I'm bored, I already ruined the Bruins Weirdos thread so might as well do it with the Red Sox Weirdos one.

Why is gaining an understanding of advanced metrics stupid? I have never heard you say something to the contrary, just that you don't like them. Seeing as how you are a lawyer, I am curious if you are willing to let that stand. Usually if you want to form a decent counterargument you have to gain an understanding of what you are going against and you have basically resorted to the old sportswriter "Mom's Basement" argument, which falls flat on numerous legs, especially the most basic one of they have no idea what they are talking about when deriding these measures. I figure this bores you so I won't be surprised if you take your backpack and put it over one of your shoulder and go home to sit on your backward facing chair but, hell, at least humor me.

No, too busy humoring me. I have no problem with stats. I find correction of my knee jerk reaction to the shitty bullpen with predictable nerdness boring. But amusing nonetheless.

Frankly, I get the whole moneyball thing, and I get why it sort of works. It has ruined the game of baseball. Games take 5 hours and are unwatchable. And people that talk about WAR and VORP all the time are tiresome.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:38 pm

I'm glad this weirdos thread is finally getting weird. Took you guys long enough.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:21 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:I figure this bores you so I won't be surprised if you take your backpack and put it over one of your shoulder and go home to sit on your backward facing chair but, hell, at least humor me.

uh, WTF?

It's not cool to wear your backpack with both straps on your shoulders.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:32 pm

Tito just compared Nate Jones' (rookie White Sox reliever) stuff to that of Henry Rowengartner. :laugh
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:34 am

#NEXTREDSOXCLOSER was a funny follow last night
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:20 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Didn't Padilla briefly close for an NL team? I'm drawing a blank.

Now I remember. He saved 3 games as part of the Dodgers' committee when Broxton lost the job.

Was this a self fag-tag?

Not sure. I wanted to get the answer as soon as possible so if anyone else answered I could ask them to kindly check the timestamp.

What's a fag-tag?

If you have to ask what a fag-tag is, you can't afford it.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:53 pm

bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:47 pm

did ellsbury just separate his shoulder?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:51 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:did ellsbury just separate his shoulder?

My friend just flipped out because Ellsbury is on his fantasy team. I think Crawford will be back very soon, but this is still tough news for the Sox. And, it's tough news for Ellsbury, because this is his contract year (and he's coming off one of the best years any leadoff hitter has had in recent history).
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:18 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:

My friend just flipped out because Ellsbury is on his fantasy team. I think Crawford will be back very soon, but this is still tough news for the Sox. And, it's tough news for Ellsbury, because this is his contract year (and he's coming off one of the best years any leadoff hitter has had in recent history).

You want to post his roster?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:22 pm

why do i get the sense that this injury with ellbury will be the last straw for the red sox weirdos? he'll carry that "soft" label around as long as he's on this team.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:33 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:why do i get the sense that this injury with ellbury will be the last straw for the red sox weirdos? he'll carry that "soft" label around as long as he's on this team.

It's not a label when it's TROOF.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:30 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

You want to post his roster?

I have Ellsbury and Crawford on my fantasy team.

I posted my roster on the ghey beisbol pr0n thread.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Shea Field