Red Sox Weirdos

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Red Sox Weirdos

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:46 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I also think this trade and willingness to chance losing Lester (or more so the lack of a legit offer in the first place) says a lot about what the Sox think of their farm. Tons of potential front line starters (De La Rosa, Webster, Owens, Renaudo, Escobar, Barnes), decent infielders (Cecchini, Marrerro), catchers (Vasquez and Swihart) and light-hitting OFs (Bradley, Betts), but other than Bogaerts, there isn't a power hitting OF or corner IF in the entire system. Given what is available, trading for a major league ready power hitter was almost a necessity.

They have Shaw at 1B in Pawtucket who has some power but he has a more pronounced platoon split. FWIW Cecchini does nothing for me. His ISO in AAA is less than .100, his K% is extremely high and he has forgotten how to draw a walk. Robs my the furthest faller of the Sox top prospects this year, though Barnes is giving him a run for his money.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:47 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Edes is reporting the Cardinals are close to a deal for Lackey.

I'll be shocked if Lackey actually plays for $500k next year.

Joe Kelly and Allen Craig. Meh.
Last edited by flyingelvii on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:48 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Edes is reporting the Cardinals are close to a deal for Lackey.

Supposedly an outfielder and a starting pitcher.

They would be crazy to give up Taveras.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:49 am

Sounds like Joe Kelly and Allen Craig.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:55 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Sounds like Joe Kelly and Allen Craig.

Confirmed by MLB Network.

Craig is having an awful season but I think that was a good buy low move. They definitely upgraded their OF for next season.

I'm not really excited about Joe Kelly, but they need warm bodies in the rotation.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:58 am

I can't believe I am going to have to root for Craig, who I crapped on incessantly to piss off Hansen
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:00 pm

My fantasy team wants to know the fuck happened to Craig this year
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:02 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:My fantasy team wants to know the fuck happened to Craig this year

He's not very good, that's what happened. Have to figure the Sox wanted Kelly here, because Craig doesn't have a position with them next season.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:02 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:My fantasy team wants to know the fuck happened to Craig this year

Same here.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:03 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

Same here.

I too would like to join this pity party.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:04 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

Same here.

I too would like to join this pity party.

All aboard the WTF happened to Allen Craig train!
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:07 pm

Looks like he's been hitting a lot more ground balls, fewer line drives and, given his speed, that's translating to a lot less hits and a lower BABIP. So basically he's making weaker contact on the ball for some reason I don't feel like looking into.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:09 pm

It'll be interesting to see what tonight's lineup looks like.

EDIT: Oops, no game tonight.
Last edited by Endless Mike on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:12 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:It'll be interesting to see what tonight's lineup looks like.

Umm, what? They traded two pitchers. It'll look like it did last night.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:14 pm

It's going to be crazy:

Holt LF
Victorino RF
Pedroia 2B
Ortiz DH
Napoli 1B
Bogaerts 3B
Drew SS
Vasquez C
Bradley CF
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:17 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:It'll be interesting to see what tonight's lineup looks like.

I don't think they're done yet, they could still trade Miller. I'm just curious to see Cespedes in there, and what they do with Craig.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:21 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I don't think they're done yet, they could still trade Miller. I'm just curious to see Cespedes in there, and what they do with Craig.

Trading Miller - also won't effect the lineup. He pitches.

Red Sox don't play today, but if they did, Cespedes and Craig probably wouldn't be in it.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:28 pm

Sounding like Miller to the Tigers. This one must be prospects.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:33 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:The O's will go the typical route and get a decent #4 through waivers and overpay for emilio bonifacio and I probably won't be happy about it.

CBS has a story that the O's contacted the Mets about Colon. Mets are supposedly reluctant to trade him.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:45 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:The O's will go the typical route and get a decent #4 through waivers and overpay for emilio bonifacio and I probably won't be happy about it.

CBS has a story that the O's contacted the Mets about Colon. Mets are supposedly reluctant to trade him.

good. the latter part, not the former.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:05 pm

Now hearing Miller to Os for Pedro
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:12 pm

Eduardo Rodriguez for Miller.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby gallopingghost on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:40 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I also think this trade and willingness to chance losing Lester (or more so the lack of a legit offer in the first place) says a lot about what the Sox think of their farm. Tons of potential front line starters (De La Rosa, Webster, Owens, Renaudo, Escobar, Barnes), decent infielders (Cecchini, Marrerro), catchers (Vasquez and Swihart) and light-hitting OFs (Bradley, Betts), but other than Bogaerts, there isn't a power hitting OF or corner IF in the entire system. Given what is available, trading for a major league ready power hitter was almost a necessity.

Owens is 14-4, 2.44 ERA at Portland. He needs to start moving up. The next Randy Johnson. He is 22, Lester is 30.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:09 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:

Owens is 14-4, 2.44 ERA at Portland. He needs to start moving up. The next Randy Johnson. He is 22, Lester is 30.

Check out Renaudo's record at Pawtucket. 12-4, 2.41. Add that to what Rubby has done with the big club, and there's three likely rotation cogs for quite a few years. And that doesn't count Webster, who some think has the best stuff of the bunch, or the new guys from the Peavy (Escobar) and Miller trades.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:16 pm

THANK GOD. DREW TO THE YANKEES.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby gallopingghost on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:28 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Check out Renaudo's record at Pawtucket. 12-4, 2.41. Add that to what Rubby has done with the big club, and there's three likely rotation cogs for quite a few years. And that doesn't count Webster, who some think has the best stuff of the bunch, or the new guys from the Peavy (Escobar) and Miller trades.

The Blue Jays hammered Ruby the other night.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:38 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:THANK GOD. DREW TO THE YANKEES.

Of all the dramatic things I've ever seen! Stephen Drew standing in Hal Steinbrenner's box announcing he is a New York Yankee!
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:39 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

The Blue Jays hammered Ruby the other night.

That was two starts ago in TOR He went 6 and 3 ER (quality start) two nights ago against TOR. Regardless, he has a 3.64 era, with one bad start. He's twice gone 7 shutout innings, and this ain't Portland.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:11 pm

Owens needs to move up but his weak fastball and decent but unspectacular control are giving me Michael Bowden 2.0 visions.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:12 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

Owens needs to move up to AAAbut his weak fastball and decent but unspectacular control are giving me Michael Bowden 2.0 visions.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Shea Field