Red Sox Weirdos

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Red Sox Weirdos

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:31 pm

h2o {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Generally hate farewell tours, but reactions like this are going to make it awesome.

ENJOY!

I will. Suck it Degregoriass
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby h2o on Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:56 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
h2o {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Generally hate farewell tours, but reactions like this are going to make it awesome.

ENJOY!

I'm sure you will, Mr. Pupkin.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:58 pm

h2o {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
h2o {l Wrote}:

ENJOY!

I'm sure you will, Mr. Pupkin.

BWAAAHAHHHHAAAAAAA spin your bowtie,
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:46 pm

Sox signed Chris Young. Odd one.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:24 am

I don't think that they think it was okay to give all of the 450 DeAza/Craig/Victorino/Nava ABs to Bradley and Castillo without a backup plan. That said, money probably best spent elsewhere.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:10 pm

Price deal is done. 7 years, $217 million
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:50 pm

I like Price a lot, and I get the money. The opt-out clause is excessive.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:11 pm

The money is not mine, so it is irrelevant. As far as the opt out goes, I bet the Sox hope upon hope that he pitches well enough to exercise it for two distinct reasons.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:26 pm

Holy shit, that is a lot of money for Price.
I don't think it makes a lot of sense to pay that much money for a pitcher.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:53 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The money is not mine, so it is irrelevant. As far as the opt out goes, I bet the Sox hope upon hope that he pitches well enough to exercise it for two distinct reasons.

Re the opt out, I agree but I doubt it happens. 215 innings a year for last 7 years + 3 more years of that? That's a shit ton of wear and tear. But CC at 213 innings per year turned in years 12 / 13 so maybe you'll get lucky.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:47 am

hansen {l Wrote}:Holy shit, that is a lot of money for Price.

Ace pitchers are the only people you should pay that kind of money.

The money argument is stupid. If he gets hurt in year three, that contract will not handcuff the Red Sox. And if he gives them 2-3 years of what he did the last 5 years pitching largely in the AL East, they are automatically contenders again (especially when you count Kimbrell as well).

Contract was kind of a no-brainer, and I have yet to hear a reasonable argument against it. They may get stuck paying an aging pitcher a lot of money in 5 years in a league with no salary cap and a weak luxury tax. Who cares?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:01 pm

I like the Young contract as a 4th OF who will platoon. Hit all of his HRs last year to LF.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:12 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:I like the Young contract as a 4th OF who will platoon. Hit all of his HRs last year to LF.

Agree with this, also he is Bradley Jr. extended slump insurance.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:37 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

The money argument is stupid. If he gets hurt in year three, that contract will not handcuff the Red Sox. And if he gives them 2-3 years of what he did the last 5 years pitching largely in the AL East, they are automatically contenders again (especially when you count Kimbrell as well).

Contract was kind of a no-brainer, and I have yet to hear a reasonable argument against it. They may get stuck paying an aging pitcher a lot of money in 5 years in a league with no salary cap and a weak luxury tax. Who cares?

With pitchers so commonly injured, it just seems like a big gamble to pony up 31 million year for one guy who can only get out there every five days. If they got the contract insured against a possible injury (always a possibility) then it's a much better deal. I do not know the details of the Red Sox roster so I am only commenting on the Money aspect. I guess if it's the last 31 million to get you a championship then it would be worth it but still seems like a big risk to me.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:41 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

With pitchers so commonly injured, it just seems like a big gamble to pony up 31 million year for one guy who can only get out there every five days. If they got the contract insured against a possible injury (always a possibility) then it's a much better deal. I do not know the details of the Red Sox roster so I am only commenting on the Money aspect. I guess if it's the last 31 million to get you a championship then it would be worth it but still seems like a big risk to me.

Monopoly money for 80% of the league's teams in MLB. Without a salary cap, discussions of whether a player is "worth" it mean zilch.

Plus a guy like Price has a much bigger impact than once every five days. Everyone slides down in the rotation to more suitable spots. And guys like that prevent losing streaks.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BearTerritory on Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:43 pm

Considering the $ tied up in Hanley, Panda and Porcello, Dembrowski at least acquires value.
BearTerritory
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:26 pm

Red Sox are collecting closers. Miley for Carson Smith
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:26 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:Looking forward to a very productive year out of Kelly, hopefully starting tonight.

Kid's stuff is too electric for him to not figure it out unless he is just another clown like Eovaldi

He got hit a lot last year for a guy who throws 96. He did have a decent second half, so it will be interesting to see how he performs now that there is pressure and expectations again. If he's going to live up to his stuff, the time is now. He's thrown 460 innings at the big league level already.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:32 pm

I think Kelly has a good year and Porcello is decent. Looking forward to Buchholz getting hurt.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:37 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Porcello is decent.

I think he will be improved, too.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:46 am

For the record, Joe Kelly's pitching is the worst thing I subject myself to on a regular basis. At one point last night, he had thrown 84 pitches, 44 of which were strikes, and he was actually winning 4-2.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:27 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:Looking forward to a very productive year out of Kelly, hopefully starting tonight.

Kid's stuff is too electric for him to not figure it out unless he is just another clown like Eovaldi

About that...
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:51 am

Well, the APB on Rick Porcello appears to have finally returned him from witness protection.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:12 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Well, the APB on Rick Porcello appears to have finally returned him from witness protection.

I fear that the Sandoval APB will just be a return of 10 Big Mac meals.

I don't think anyone is wasting much time looking for Fat Panda.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu May 26, 2016 11:14 am

Yankee fan Buster Olney getting in the "absurd Red Sox offense projections" game

At their current trajectory, this is where some Boston players would wind up:

Jackie Bradley Jr.: 197 hits, including 42 doubles, 14 triples and 28 homers, and 120 RBIs.
Xander Bogaerts: 232 hits, 127 runs, 74 extra-base hits, 92 RBIs.
David Ortiz: 187 hits -- which would be a career high, by the way – with 74 doubles, 39 homers and 151 RBIs.
Travis Shaw: 183 hits, 95 runs, 113 RBIs.
Dustin Pedroia: 194 hits, 120 runs.
Mookie Betts: 201 hits, 82 extra-base hits, 144 runs, 123 RBIs.
Hanley Ramirez: 183 hits, 95 runs, 92 RBIs.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu May 26, 2016 11:16 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

About that...

6.2 no hit innings the other day ...
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun May 29, 2016 8:46 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

About that...

Saw him Friday Night in Toronto. He has no clue where the ball is going and his "stuff" isn't even that wonderful. He throws hard which is nice but that fastball is as straight as an arrow and guys just tee off on it. His breaking stuff is good but half the time it just hangs there. Donaldson had no problem squaring up one of those 98 MPH fastballs and hit it about a mile.

He should be in the bullpen, as a 1 inning guy he'd be effective, but he sucks as a starter (see the 6+ ERA)
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun May 29, 2016 8:53 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:For the record, Joe Kelly's pitching is the worst thing I subject myself to on a regular basis. At one point last night, he had thrown 84 pitches, 44 of which were strikes, and he was actually winning 4-2.

I'd rather Buccholtz than him, although both are terrible.

At least Buccholtz showed some balls today
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun May 29, 2016 9:47 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

About that...

Saw him Friday Night in Toronto. He has no clue where the ball is going and his "stuff" isn't even that wonderful. He throws hard which is nice but that fastball is as straight as an arrow and guys just tee off on it. His breaking stuff is good but half the time it just hangs there. Donaldson had no problem squaring up one of those 98 MPH fastballs and hit it about a mile.

He should be in the bullpen, as a 1 inning guy he'd be effective, but he sucks as a starter (see the 6+ ERA)

You are a fucking moron
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun May 29, 2016 9:48 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:For the record, Joe Kelly's pitching is the worst thing I subject myself to on a regular basis. At one point last night, he had thrown 84 pitches, 44 of which were strikes, and he was actually winning 4-2.

I'd rather Buccholtz than him, although both are terrible.

At least Buccholtz showed some balls today

'
This is fucking dumb
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Shea Field