Red Sox Weirdos

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Red Sox Weirdos

Postby RegalBCeagle on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:22 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:Yankees are in free fall and their pitching staff is a MASH unit. Rays doing their annual August explosion.

Meanwhile, Gonzalez has apparently cleared waivers and the claim belongs to the Dodgers. Wonder if the can/will agree on a trade.

Why? Can't say I understand trading Gonzalez at all. He is fantastic.

EDIT: I mean, look, you can trade anyone for the right price, but they had better get an incredible haul for him.

They had to throw in someone like Gonzalez because he's the only player who is worth anything right now.

De La Rosa is filthy and has already proven he can pitch in the Majors. Webster is a legit pitching prospect. Sands was one of their top hitting prospects but has been passed by a few guys in their farm system; he's a very nice acquisition too. Too bad about Gonzalez, but they needed to blow this team up. I like this.

I just wish they could have thrown Lackey in there

I'm hoping/thinking Lackey's disposed of this offseason. They'll probably trade him for a bag of balls and pick up a good 80% of his salary, but I think they'll still unload him.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:30 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:Yankees are in free fall and their pitching staff is a MASH unit. Rays doing their annual August explosion.

Meanwhile, Gonzalez has apparently cleared waivers and the claim belongs to the Dodgers. Wonder if the can/will agree on a trade.

Why? Can't say I understand trading Gonzalez at all. He is fantastic.

EDIT: I mean, look, you can trade anyone for the right price, but they had better get an incredible haul for him.

They had to throw in someone like Gonzalez because he's the only player who is worth anything right now.

De La Rosa is filthy and has already proven he can pitch in the Majors. Webster is a legit pitching prospect. Sands was one of their top hitting prospects but has been passed by a few guys in their farm system; he's a very nice acquisition too. Too bad about Gonzalez, but they needed to blow this team up. I like this.

I just wish they could have thrown Lackey in there

I'm hoping/thinking Lackey's disposed of this offseason. They'll probably trade him for a bag of balls and pick up a good 80% of his salary, but I think they'll still unload him.

GTFO my clubhouse
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:39 am

I love the trade, more for what the Sox gave up than what they received. Got a couple food prospects, especially Wevster, but de la Rosa coming off of Tommy John scares md and Sands seems to have all the attributes of a AAAA guy, though I'd love to be proven wrong. I pray to god Loney is non-tendered because he is a black hole of suck and not a middle reliever. Regardless, the payroll flexibility is fantastic and they have done very nice pieces coming together, particularly in AA. I don't imagine they'll contend next year but with Barnes, JBJ, Bogartes and a few others, I'm a lot more enthused than I was yesterday afternoon. Shit, maybe Iglesias' recent hitting tear is legit too. Sweet sassy molassy.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:06 am

Maybe the dodgers would be interested in Jason Bay :shrug
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby vegasEagle on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:47 am

dice-k off the books at the end of the season.... maybe we can convince the dodgers to bring lackey back to the west coast
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby BearTerritory on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:42 am

Dodgers might take on Greek debt if asked

The only question here is whether the Red Sox will spend the 230 mil any wiser than they did last time.
BearTerritory
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:16 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Maybe the dodgers would be interested in Jason Bay :shrug

I could be nuts for thinking this, but if Ben Cherington offered Sandy Alderson Lackey for Bay straight up, I think Sandy should take that deal.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Shredder on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:52 am

vegasEagle {l Wrote}:dice-k off the books at the end of the season.... maybe we can convince the dodgers to bring lackey back to the west coast

Lackey is untradeable, at least for a while. Even if a team were willing to gamble on his return from TJ surgery, his contract and recent performances would require the Sox to have to pay almost everything. Unless he has an incredible recovery and rebound, Lackey can never live up to his contract, but a return to something close to his pre-Red Sox form will make him a solid 4/5 starter. You also can't rule out Dice-K returning. Although most fans would love to suffer through his games, he claims to love Boston and will definitely come cheap. I also wouldn't be surprised if Cherington at least talked to Youk about coming back to play 1B since the crop of available 1B is pretty thin.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:55 am

Shredder {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:dice-k off the books at the end of the season.... maybe we can convince the dodgers to bring lackey back to the west coast

Lackey is untradeable, at least for a while. Even if a team were willing to gamble on his return from TJ surgery, his contract and recent performances would require the Sox to have to pay almost everything. Unless he has an incredible recovery and rebound, Lackey can never live up to his contract, but a return to something close to his pre-Red Sox form will make him a solid 4/5 starter. You also can't rule out Dice-K returning. Although most fans would love to suffer through his games, he claims to love Boston and will definitely come cheap. I also wouldn't be surprised if Cherington at least talked to Youk about coming back to play 1B since the crop of available 1B is pretty thin.

I'd be shocked if the Red Sox had any interest in letting that piece of shit back in the clubhouse they just cleaned out. That would be like cleaning the bathroom so you can take a dump.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:00 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Maybe the dodgers would be interested in Jason Bay :shrug

I could be nuts for thinking this, but if Ben Cherington offered Sandy Alderson Lackey for Bay straight up, I think Sandy should take that deal.

Disagree. How many years does Lackey have left? Bay only has 2013
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby shockdoct on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:28 pm

Actually due to Lackey's TJ surgey, a clause in his contract was activated that extended his deal by 1 year (2015)....at the MLB minimum.

So I am pretty sure his AAV was reduced from 15.9 for 2 years ('13,'14) to ~11 for 3 years ('13,'14,'15)...
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:29 pm

Is Lackey not a raging alcoholic?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:32 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Is Lackey not a raging alcoholic?

Oh yeah, I forgot about the rumor.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:54 pm

Is that based primarily on the Haggs tweet about him double fisting in the clubhouse, which was a retarded non-story IMO, or based on Derek Lowe-esque antics around town?
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:24 pm

I think he's just retarded.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:33 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

Is that based primarily on the Haggs tweet about him double fisting in the clubhouse, which was a retarded non-story IMO, or based on Derek Lowe-esque antics around town?

Neither. It is based on a discussion I heard on the radio related to the Jeff Passan article that came out a couple weeks ago. The conversation morphed into a discussion about what gets said on and off the record, and what kind of information you get based on your relationships with various people on the team, and how reporters have to make decisions about what stories they choose to pursue. Steve Buckley said, as an example, one of his sources told him that there are two players on the Sox with alcohol issues. One is a full-fledged alcoholic, the other is not an alcoholic but is completely out of control when he does drink. He said, while intriguing, he would have to be 100% certain before submitting a story like that to his editors, and it is virtually impossible to confirm something like that without attaching himself to the hip of the players in question for a significant period of time. So he let it go.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:19 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

Neither. It is based on a discussion I heard on the radio related to the Jeff Passan article that came out a couple weeks ago. The conversation morphed into a discussion about what gets said on and off the record, and what kind of information you get based on your relationships with various people on the team, and how reporters have to make decisions about what stories they choose to pursue. Steve Buckley said, as an example, one of his sources told him that there are two players on the Sox with alcohol issues. One is a full-fledged alcoholic, the other is not an alcoholic but is completely out of control when he does drink. He said, while intriguing, he would have to be 100% certain before submitting a story like that to his editors, and it is virtually impossible to confirm something like that without attaching himself to the hip of the players in question for a significant period of time. So he let it go.

I can also CONFIRM! that it is based on his Derek Lowe-esque antics around town, although he doesn't appear to pull anywhere near as much tail as Lowe.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:31 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

I can also CONFIRM! that it is based on his Derek Lowe-esque antics around town, although he doesn't appear to pull anywhere near as much tail as Lowe.

In regards to foot's rumor-mongering, I'll guess Lackey is the full-fledged one and Youkilis is the out-of-control one. Aceves seems very tightly-strung, so he's an obvious suspect as well.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Shredder on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:03 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shredder {l Wrote}:

I'd be shocked if the Red Sox had any interest in letting that piece of shit back in the clubhouse they just cleaned out. That would be like cleaning the bathroom so you can take a dump.

Lackey or Youk? They'd have to release Lackey to get rid of him over the winter. Maybe if he shows some promise in the spring, they can find someone to take him. Youk will be a free agent. The front office will likely want to go in another direction but since there won't be many 1B's available, there could be interest on both sides if Valentine is let go after the season.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:17 am

Shredder {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Shredder {l Wrote}:

Lackey or Youk? They'd have to release Lackey to get rid of him over the winter. Maybe if he shows some promise in the spring, they can find someone to take him. Youk will be a free agent. The front office will likely want to go in another direction but since there won't be many 1B's available, there could be interest on both sides if Valentine is let go after the season.

I meant Youk, but it applies equally to both.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:50 am

Lackey would actually be a somewhat decent flier for someone given the contract situation :shock mentioned above, though the Sox will likely have to in some cash. That being said, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the Sox kept him for both of the reasons listed above.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:54 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

The Kermit voice can't help.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:02 pm

bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:48 am

I think the Red Sox are tanking it so they can get Andrew Luck.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:56 am

http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2012/09/13/boston-red-sox-could-be-on-block/

Can't say I didn't see this coming. I wonder if Krafty Bob has the juice to own the Sox and the Pats.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:29 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2012/09/13/boston-red-sox-could-be-on-block/

Can't say I didn't see this coming. I wonder if Krafty Bob has the juice to own the Sox and the Pats.

That story has more holes than a colander. What shitty reporting.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:28 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:I think the Red Sox are tanking it so they can get Andrew Luck.

They have an outside chance of getting the 6th pick. BURN BABY BURN!
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:31 am

Financier John Henry is the principle owner

Sure, he owns the principles, but who owns the actual team?
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:11 pm

good job, good effort Red Sox
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John