Tito spouts the party line

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Tito spouts the party line

Postby EagleNYC on Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:34 pm

I caught ESPN's interview w/Francona this morning and he was all over the "we didn't catch the ball last year- we addressed that and our pitching and defense will make us competitive" dogma. I think this is a line of shit. If you want to stress the pitching, I understand that, but the "defense wins" line is better for football than baseball. Perhaps Tito has already forgotten that the Angels stellar defense (they were outstanding last year) completely left them in the ALCS against the Yankees. Anecdotal evidence? Sure, but 2 errors can happen to any team, and it will leave you.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Re: Tito spouts the party line

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:43 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:I caught ESPN's interview w/Francona this morning and he was all over the "we didn't catch the ball last year- we addressed that and our pitching and defense will make us competitive" dogma. I think this is a line of shit. If you want to stress the pitching, I understand that, but the "defense wins" line is better for football than baseball. Perhaps Tito has already forgotten that the Angels stellar defense (they were outstanding last year) completely left them in the ALCS against the Yankees. Anecdotal evidence? Sure, but 2 errors can happen to any team, and it will leave you.

Defense makes pitchers throw strikes and give up less runs. Doug Mlsjdlfjoidjoisjofvijspoweiz, Dave Roberts and Orlando Cabrera say hello.

They need another bat. But other than that, this Sox team is much better than last year's edition. And they will score more runs than people think.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:18 pm

I hvae posted this 100 times on both sites...

Casey Stengel...One of the greatest baseball minds of all time said...."Shake a tree and 100 gloves will fall off, give me someone who can hit!'

Fuck sabermetrics, OBP and all that shit, gimme guys who are gamers and can play!

Red Sox need Adrian Gonzalez and The Brewers GM is no stranger to big trades in Doug Melvin and Fielder hates Milwaukee.

Sox have a great farm systems and can get them abck in 6 years?

WTF?
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:59 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:I caught ESPN's interview w/Francona this morning and he was all over the "we didn't catch the ball last year- we addressed that and our pitching and defense will make us competitive" dogma. I think this is a line of shit. If you want to stress the pitching, I understand that, but the "defense wins" line is better for football than baseball. Perhaps Tito has already forgotten that the Angels stellar defense (they were outstanding last year) completely left them in the ALCS against the Yankees. Anecdotal evidence? Sure, but 2 errors can happen to any team, and it will leave you.

The Angels' D may have left them in the ALCS, but it still helped get them there, so I don't see how that's a bad thing considering that D helped shut down the 2009 Red Sox.

The more I look at this Red Sox team, the better I feel about them. I think that a healthy Adrian Beltre, finally playing in a hitters' park, will put up much better numbers. They're also going to have a full season of Victor Martinez. And in recent interviews it sounds like Theo wants to make another move for a big bat.

I'm not thrilled about the Marco Scutaro era though, but he'll be batting 9th at least.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:47 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:They need another bat.

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:And in recent interviews it sounds like Theo wants to make another move for a big bat.

Yup. That's my point- having good defense is nice and all, but you need to hit. Land a bat and then the great defense becomes a much bigger factor.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:03 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:And in recent interviews it sounds like Theo wants to make another move for a big bat.

Yup. That's my point- having good defense is nice and all, but you need to hit. Land a bat and then the great defense becomes a much bigger factor.

God I hate Mike Cameron. Can't believe we signed him in the first place. They need one more bat and imagine if Buccholtz develops this year, that pitching rotation is going to be ridiculous.

Beckett
Lester
Lackey
Buccholtz
Dice-K

With Wake making spot starts.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:34 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:

Well, you said that the "pitching and defense will make us competitive" line was bullshit. It's not, because it is going to make them competitive. To me, "competitive" means contending for the playoffs. They'll do that. If they want to win a pennant, they'll need to add another bat.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby buconvict on Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:01 pm

I am still amazed that people spell Clay Buchholz incorrectly as often as they do.

The Red Sox were 2nd in the league in runs last year. It's not like they're the Royals, and the drop off from Bay is made up for with the improvement at SS. The Sox are loaded.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:56 pm

buconvict {l Wrote}:I am still amazed that people spell Clay Buchholz incorrectly as often as they do.

The Red Sox were 2nd in the league in runs last year. It's not like they're the Royals, and the drop off from Bay is made up for with the improvement at SS. The Sox are loaded.

And don't realize that BucHHolz was one of the Sox best pitchers the last month, month and a half.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:45 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:I am still amazed that people spell Clay Buchholz incorrectly as often as they do.

And don't realize that BucHHolz was one of the Sox best pitchers the last month, month and a half.

Baseball is littered with the broken hearts of those of put too much stock in Sept./Oct. regular season stats, especially since he was beating up on Baltimore, KC, and the Jays. Well done against TB though. Like many, I think Clay needs to get his head sorted out- he's got a solid MLB arm. Then again, he might be one of those guys that needs to move on, buy into what some new pitching guru/coach has to say before he evolves. Either that or pitch in the NL.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Return to Shea Field