WAKE UP TIME FOR BOY WONDER GM THEO EPSTEIN & HIS BIG $$$$

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: WAKE UP TIME FOR BOY WONDER GM THEO EPSTEIN & HIS BIG $$$$

Postby Endless Mike on Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:21 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Chill. just busting balls...

1000000000 people said the same thing...

I only take credit for my unique fatwaboys and original stuff...and all esle I can thunk up.

It was just a matter of time...

Fair enough. Great deal. I'm already excited about next season.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby h2o on Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:33 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bcsoxfan12 {l Wrote}:Adrian Gonzalez to the Red Sox? Come on Theo work your magic and spend the $$$$$$$$$$

Dude, it's done already. Think there is any chance he fails the physical or they don't give him Ryan Howard money? Didn't think so. The only way this deal didn't happen was Hoyer asking for too much in return.

Whoops.

By Jon Heyman, SI.com

The Red Sox were unable to complete a deal for Padres first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, SI.com has learned.

The Padres and Red Sox had previously reached an agreement on a trade that would have sent the All-Star to Boston for four minor league prospects. The Red Sox had a deadline until 2.p.m. ET today to sign Gonzlaez to a contract extension.

Gonzalez, who has one year to go on his contract with San Diego for about $6 million, is seeking a contract similiar to the one Mark Teixeira received with the Yankees after the 2008 season, $180 million over eight years. Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard, another comparable player, recently signed a five-year, $125 million contract.

The Red Sox and Padres had been discussing Gonzalez for more than a year. The Padres' front office is very familiar with Boston's prospects, as GM Jed Hoyer, assistant GM Jason McLeod and new top executive Josh Byrnes all once worked for Boston.

Gonzalez, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2000 draft, has spent the past five years in San Diego, his hometown, and in the past four seasons has had at least 30 home runs and 99 RBIs.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:46 pm

I'm not a big baseball guy but I had to chime in on how hilarious it is that the Sox media sycophants were patting themselves on the back about becoming relevant by getting a big time power hitter to come to Boston before he actually did (Make no mistake, the media folks HATE that the Sox have become 2nd/3rd class citizens behind the Pats/Celts). I can't wait till tomorrow when they'll absolutely trash this guy for making them look like morons.

As for the actual baseball side of the deal, I think this sounds like a guy who knows he's got a sweetheart deal playing in the anonymity of San Diego against the senior circuit (NL) and it's spate of horrendous teams and pitchers. He wanted a ton of money to step into a high pressure situation and the Sox balked.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:41 pm

bcsoxfan12 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bcsoxfan12 {l Wrote}:Adrian Gonzalez to the Red Sox? Come on Theo work your magic and spend the $$$$$$$$$$

Dude, it's done already. Think there is any chance he fails the physical or they don't give him Ryan Howard money? Didn't think so. The only way this deal didn't happen was Hoyer asking for too much in return.

Sorry I like to wait until the ink dries

SEE!!!! :gun
BC HOCKEY: 1949-2001-2008-2010-2011 2012 and counting :angrychicken
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:46 pm

bcsoxfan12 {l Wrote}:
bcsoxfan12 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Wow the kid with a major facial.

I am hiding from 9. I owe him $11.00..I may move out of the USA to Nevada.

You would think they had talked with his agent, the Padres and had a looses ends left type of deal?

You knew he wanted TEX $$$$$? WTF?

Maybe the physical showed something and the Sox backed away by offerring less?

Who is Gonzo's agent?
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:02 pm

Werth to Nats/// WOW!

Rangers looking at Carl Crawford.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:03 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
bcsoxfan12 {l Wrote}:
bcsoxfan12 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

You would think they had talked with his agent, the Padres and had a looses ends left type of deal?

Who is Gonzo's agent?

The Gonzo to the Red Sox is not dead, just delayed.

Boston, Angels have $$$$$$ and maybe the Dodgers after a divorce.

Alwasy Carlos Pena...another ex-Ranger First baseman

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:08 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
bcsoxfan12 {l Wrote}:
bcsoxfan12 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Who is Gonzo's agent?

The Gonzo to the Red Sox is not dead, just delayed.

Boston, Angels have $$$$$$ and maybe the Dodgers after a divorce.

Alwasy Carlos Pena...another ex-Ranger First baseman

I agree the deal may not be dead, but a long term deal from day one would be ideal situation for the Sox. Just think of it Youk and Gonzalez at the corners for years to come. That was the point of my original statement, the deal was agreed to, but someone didn’t check the fine print or with the agent first. The 2pm deadline came and went without a long term agreement, so that leaves the Sox in limbo. I’d hate to think this deal boils down to a rental of Gonzalez for the 2011 season, and the loss of prospects.

Good point 74, maybe the physical showed something, I mean he’s coming off shoulder surgery so you never know. John Boggs is the agent, could be worse…you know Boras. Carlos Pena would be an interesting sign, the second time around for a local kid, he’s not the same player just look at his numbers. Maybe the Sox will take a shot at Crawford, and need to free up some money or maybe they’re looking at signing plan B- Beltre?
BC HOCKEY: 1949-2001-2008-2010-2011 2012 and counting :angrychicken
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:29 pm

Gonzo will be in a Red Sox jersey. The 2:00 deadline was meaningless, and Heyman is a retard from a NY Newspaper.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:50 pm

Like I said, deal is done. Terms won't be announced until after Opening Day.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Shredder on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:27 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Gonzo will be in a Red Sox jersey. The 2:00 deadline was meaningless, and Heyman is a retard from a NY Newspaper.

Once I saw that the "deal over" talk was coming from Heyman I didn't worry about it. I can't believe SI hired him from Newsday. Ken Rosenthal of Foxsports tends to be on top of things and Gordon Edes still has the best sources with the Red Sox and they didn't blow the deal dead.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:30 pm

JUST DELAYED AND NOW FINAL.

The Boston Red Sox on Sunday completed a deal for San Diego slugger Adrian Gonzalez that earlier in the day appeared in jeopardy, major league sources told FOXSports.com.

The Padres received right-handed starter Casey Kelly, first baseman Anthony Rizzo, center fielder Reymond Fuentes and a player to be named later, a source said.

Kelly, Rizzo and Fuentes are all prospects who have yet to debut in the major leagues.

The deal appeared to have hit a wall when the sides struggled to meet a deadline for a long-term extension with Gonzalez. According to a source, Gonzalez "turned down a lot of money because he wanted more, and the window closed."

Major League Baseball had approved a negotiating window.

Gonzalez, 28, is set to earn $6.3 million in the final year of his current contract, which is viewed throughout the industry as a bargain — one reason he seems motivated to get a big-dollar deal now.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:35 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Werth to Nats/// WOW!

Rangers looking at Carl Crawford.

WOW is WOW!!!

A rival general manager, upon hearing that the contract was for seven years, offered this reaction to Jayson Werth’s signing with the Nationals:

“Absolutely bat---- crazy.

And that was before the GM even learned the contract was for $126 million, an average of $18 million per season.

Werth, who turns 32 on May 20, will be 36, 37 and 38 in the final three years of the deal. With the Phillies, he was more of a complement than a centerpiece.

No matter.

Werth’s agent, Scott Boras, has a knack for developing relationships with owners, especially new owners, then exploiting them to maximum financial advantage.

Tom Hicks, the former owner of the Rangers, was the No. 1 contributor to the Scott Boras Corp. Mike Ilitch, the current owner of the Tigers, is another frequent donor.

Ted and Mark Lerner, come on down!

Boras first started referring to Ted Lerner, the Nats’ lead owner, as a “great American” while negotiating with the club for Mark Teixeira during the 2008-09 offseason.

Baseball's stuck in the stone age regarding replay.

MORE FROM KEN ROSENTHAL »
The agent since has delivered two No. 1 overall draft picks to the Nationals, right-hander Stephen Strasburg and outfielder Bryce Harper.

And now Werth, the biggest score yet.

If Werth merits seven years, then imagine how long a deal some team might give Carl Crawford, who is even more athletic and two years younger.

If Werth merits $126 million, imagine how much money the Yankees — sorry, Rangers, it’s over now — will need to cough up for free-agent left-hander Cliff Lee.

Nationals GM Mike Rizzo, who also worked closely with Boras to sign top draft picks during his years as scouting director for the Diamondbacks, offered a predictable rationale for giving Werth such a whopping deal.

“For elite players like this to come to Washington, D.C., obviously we have to extend the contract,” Rizzo said. “We understand where we’re at in our process. Someday in the very near future, we hope that we will not have to give extra money, extra years to acquire a player.”

Rizzo praised Werth’s athleticism, his base-running acumen, his ability to play center field as well as right. He raved about Werth’s offensive improvement, his increased patience at the plate. He described Werth as a late bloomer whose best days are still ahead.

Boras could not have said it better.

BUMPER CROP
These rookies are down on the farm now but they're ready to make an impact in 2011.
Rizzo also described a meeting in which he and the Lerners met Werth at Boras’ offices in Newport Beach, Calif. Werth mentioned his attention to nutrition during the visit, how he has food flown in at home and on the road.

The message: This is a highly conditioned athlete, a player who will age well.

We’ll see.

Rizzo made it clear the Nationals will not just look for Werth to perform. They also will look to him for leadership, a role he did not need to assume with the Phillies. He never was the focus, not on a team with Ryan Howard and Chase Utley and Jimmy Rollins.

Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman, who was stung this week by the loss of his friend, free agent Adam Dunn, to the White Sox, sounded eager for Werth to assume a major role.

“Great job by our front office to go out and get a top-tier free agent,” Zimmerman said. “He will make our lineup a lot better and is a great defensive outfielder. We will learn from his playoff experience as well.”

This isn’t to knock Werth, who still is getting better statistically — his OPS from 2008 to ’10 increased from .861 to .879 to .921. But remember, he mostly batted fifth in a dynamic lineup that feasts at hitter-friendly Citizens Bank Park.

Nationals Park is more neutral than Citizens Bank. And, lest anyone forget, Werth batted .186/.353/.314 last season with runners in scoring position, a stat line that did not escape the Phillies’ attention.

Is it possible he will be everything the Nationals envision? Yes.

Is it more likely the Nats will regret awarding him this deal? Absolutely.

The Lerners had been criticized in Washington for not spending enough on talent.

Fat chance of that happening any longer.

“They’re taking steps to answer that question,” Boras said. “The bottom line in this business is that you have to win. I tell players that. I tell owners that. To change the perception of your franchise, you have to win. And once you do that, you have to continue to win.

“It’s hard to do that in the National League East when you have a couple of Goliaths and a couple of teams on their way to being that. They (the Lerners) are certainly ready to take the steps to compete.”

The steps Boras recommends, anyway.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Previous

Return to Shea Field