NYY Outfield

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

NYY Outfield

Postby EagleNYC on Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:18 pm

Anyone want to set the odds that Brett Garner begins the year in LF? 1,000,000,000 to 1?

So who do they sign? Nady? Does Damon come crawling back? Thoughts?
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Re: NYY Outfield

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:22 pm

Karim Garcia.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby shockdoct on Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:28 pm

Keep reading that the yanks don't want to go over the psychological barrier of 200MM so they are offering damon 2MM/1yr.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:39 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Karim Garcia.

This is the guy who wanted the baseball board so badly? :lame
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:42 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:Karim Garcia.

This is the guy who wanted the baseball board so badly? :lame

Raul Mondesi?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:51 pm

In all seriousness, they should go after someone who will double as a valuable bench player. For example, they could target someone like Reed Johnson or Rocco Baldelli (pinch-running/defensive upgrade). Or Fernando Tatis (pinch hitting). Versatility is probably the key here.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:29 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:In all seriousness, they should go after someone who will double as a valuable bench player. For example, they could target someone like Reed Johnson or Rocco Baldelli (pinch-running/defensive upgrade). Or Fernando Tatis (pinch hitting). Versatility is probably the key here.

I'll take Reed Johnson. The DL already have Nick Johnson, so no need to bring Rocco aboard.

Also, I don't know your age, but I'd exalt your mock OFers if they were a little older. Claudell Washington is a fine example.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:33 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:In all seriousness, they should go after someone who will double as a valuable bench player. For example, they could target someone like Reed Johnson or Rocco Baldelli (pinch-running/defensive upgrade). Or Fernando Tatis (pinch hitting). Versatility is probably the key here.

I'll take Reed Johnson. The DL already have Nick Johnson, so no need to bring Rocco aboard.

Also, I don't know your age, but I'd exalt your mock OFers if they were a little older. Claudell Washington is a fine example.

Jesse Barfield. Danny Tartabull.

That's about as far back as I go. And, I can play the name game all day if you want. Eric Plunk. Bob Geren.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:51 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:

That's about as far back as I go. And, I can play the name game all day if you want. Eric Plunk. Bob Geren.

Eric Plunk is on the right track. Obscurity + antiquity = gold. E.g.: Greg Cadaret
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:02 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:

Eric Plunk is on the right track. Obscurity + antiquity = gold. E.g.: Greg Cadaret

In my book, it's extra credit for guys with hilarious names...such as Rick Honeycutt and Mike "If they want to pay me like Mike Gallego, I'll play like" Gallego.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:24 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:

In my book, it's extra credit for guys with hilarious names...such as Rick Honeycutt and Mike "If they want to pay me like Mike Gallego, I'll play like" Gallego.

Did you enjoy the Rich "El Guapo" Garces era?
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:30 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:

Did you enjoy the Rich "El Guapo" Garces era?

I enjoyed it mostly because he was a huge upgrade over Heathcliff Slocumb "if you got 'em", whom the Red Sox ultimately traded to Seattle for Derek Lowe and Jason Varitek in one of the biggest highway robberies in the history of baseball.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby buconvict on Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:16 pm

My people keep telling me "Ken Phelps, Ken Phelps, Ken Phelps".

The Yankees should just pay Damon. Otherwise, that team has a pretty gaping hole in it.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:27 pm

Buddy Biancalana

Rusty Kuntz

Pete LaCock

Jose Uribe
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:41 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Rusty Kuntz

Best of all time.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:11 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Rusty Kuntz

Best of all time.

Fantastic.

Agreed about needing a LF. I'd rather have a sulking Damon than Gardner, who is a valuable PR and defensive replacement.

My take on Ken Phelps: if the Yankees keep Buhner, and he blossoms the same way, they would have locked him up in right field for years. After the '92 season, they would never dream of breaking up their great young OFers Buhner and Roberto Kelly, so they'd never consider trading for Paul O'Neill. No O'Neill, no titles. The Buhner trade was a necessary evil, maybe even one of the (unintentionally) best trades in franchise history.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:24 am

Johnny Blanchard
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:27 pm

Mel Hall is tearing it up in the Texas Penal League. Cashman's trying to get him out on work release.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:06 pm

Randy Wynn. Very short $$.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:02 pm

It's a good deal, he'll probably hit 25 HR in that ballpark
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby EagleNYC on Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:24 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Randy Wynn. Very short $$.

:81

Terrible, terrible signing. Since I'm convinced the Yankees will made a deadline trade this year, I don't think this will kill the season.

Boras fucked Damon, who will be stuck playing for cents on the dollar. If he were smart, he'd call up Omar and see if the Flushing Mongoloids will meet him 1/4 of the way.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:11 am

Buster Olney's take on the Damon situation:

The merits of the New York Yankees' three-team trade for Curtis Granderson are debatable, and in time we'll know if the choice of trading some of their young assets in that deal was the right or wrong call. But it's laughable that the Yankees are taking flak for not working out a contract with Johnny Damon -- if you consider what happened as it happened, rather than the historical revision of those covering tracks.

In early November, Damon's agent, Scott Boras, compared his client to Derek Jeter in an interview with the New York Post and indicated at that time he was looking for a three- or four-year deal. Just standard agent posturing? Well, in the hours after the Granderson trade was completed, the Yankees moved to seriously engage Damon in talks, and -- as reported on ESPN.com at the time -- they were told over and over: If you're going to offer a contract that represents a decrease in salary, don't bother to make an offer. Damon, himself, told the Yankees that directly. If you want to cut my salary, talk to the hand.

At that time, the Yankees' internal discussions were about perhaps reaching a two-year deal, through negotiations, that might approach the two-year, $19 million deal that Bobby Abreu got with the Los Angeles Angels. But the talks never got started; Damon wanted no talks if he was to be offered less money than what he made in 2009.

The Yankees had two choices. They could sit and wait and hope that Damon came around to their way of thinking -- as the Houston Astros famously did with another Boras client, Carlos Beltran, to the team's chagrin -- or they could pursue other negotiations. They believed Damon didn't have offers along that the lines that Boras was talking about, but they didn't know for sure -- the Red Sox can speak to that experience, having lost out on Mark Teixeira -- and the Yankees' offer to make offers wasn't even being entertained.

So they moved on, pursuing Nick Johnson -- who had the highest on-base percentage of any free agent -- and they had to move fast, because Johnson was deep into negotiations with the Giants. Johnson was the Yankees' Plan B to Damon, and given that their Plan A wasn't even willing to talk, they reached an agreement on a one-year, $5.5 million deal with Johnson.

It wasn't until after word of Johnson's impending deal broke that Damon's side indicated a willingness to barter, and the Yankees did talk about a two-year concept, which was immediately rejected. But at that point, having reached a verbal agreement with Johnson, the team's priorities had shifted.

They had someone in Johnson who could hit second in the lineup, and they still hadn't addressed their need for a starting pitcher, which they had been willing to put off in their attempt to re-sign Damon. Once Johnson agreed to terms, that changed; the pursuit of Javier Vazquez became their priority, rather than another hitter.

Last week, Damon reached out to the Yankees, wanting to talk, so the Yankees re-engaged the left fielder, offering the money they had left under the budget that was set before the winter meetings. Even then, however, they were told that Damon had other options, including multiyear offers. They were told he wanted more than the $6 million package in salary and incentives that the Yankees were willing to pay.

So again, the Yankees had a choice: Sit around and wait to see if Damon would take those other offers, or move on. The Yankees then filled their left-field hole with Randy Winn.

Think of this like trying to get a date for the senior prom, and Johnny Damon as the target who keeps saying no. The Yankees wanted Damon more than anybody else has wanted Damon, and Damon has repeatedly turned them down -- for a time essentially telling them to not even bother calling.

So they got another date.

Is that their fault?

Damon's a good guy. He's a good teammate. He's a terrific player, coming off a very good season in a park tailor-made for him. With a couple of more strong seasons, he'll have a good case for election to the Hall of Fame.

He didn't want to take a cut in pay, but it appears that the Yankees' two offers -- the two-year, $14 million concept discussed after the Johnson signing, and last week's $6 million package -- might be about the same or even better than what other teams offered. Several prominent teams that needed outfielders eventually decided to pass because of concern that Damon would not be so good in their respective parks, given that his OPS was 120 points lower outside of Yankee Stadium in 2009. The market for Damon has never really developed.

This just in: The Yankees are not required to pay him what he wants, just as Damon is not required to take what the Yankees offer. They are not required to pay him above and beyond what his value is on the open market. They might have, if they hadn't been rebuffed time after time in December by Damon and Boras.

But Damon and Boras seemed to assume that the Yankees would break their budget to keep him and pay him far over market value, and that was their mistake.

Heard this: Oakland has determined that it is out of the running on Damon and moving on to other things, like the pursuit of veteran outfielder Gabe Gross.

Mike Lupica thinks the Yankees should spend the money to sign Damon, and within the same column also writes about the Mets.

Phil Rogers thinks Damon will wind up with the Tigers.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:13 pm

I changed my line-up!

JETER -- Needs to get more walks.
WINN --See how he does hitting second since he can steal 30
TEIXIERA -- Needs to hit for more average lik Texas
RODRIGUEZ --More HR's and RBI's
GRANDERSON --Better not strike out if the Intentionally pass A-Rod. He is protection.
JOHNSON -- If Granderson or Winn fail--move Johnson to the 2 hole or 5 hole.
POSADA -- If he catches 125 games and hits .285 and 20-80 --Backup needs more games and Posada at DH too.
SWISHER -- Better start mamking more contact and hit to LF more.
CANO -- Just keep gettting clutch hits and high OBP.

I wish the Yankees would bust a move for Adam Dunn.

Hitting in front of A-Rod or Tex, he would bomb Maris's record of 61.

I don't count any of the juice lepers records.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby buconvict on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:42 am

Johnny Damon is a dick. Good for the Yankees.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:09 pm

buconvict {l Wrote}:Johnny Damon is a dick. Good for the Yankees.

I wonder if he'll spend the next full season bitching about how the Yankees disrespected him just like the Red Sox.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby buconvict on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:48 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:Johnny Damon is a dick. Good for the Yankees.

I wonder if he'll spend the next full season bitching about how the Yankees disrespected him just like the Red Sox.

Or how the Red Sox "haven't been the same" despite winning another World Series.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:59 am

Nick Swisher's performance on How I Met Your Mother was lackluster. Jim Nantz was awesome though.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:23 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:

Oswalt and Dunn..would start a dynasty run, now thet all the other discussion pieces have been moved since Decemeber.

Oswalt wants St. Louis but they are cheap and may not guarantee that option year and Houston does not want to see him 5X a year?

Ray is a Yankee---- if they take that option.

Dunn is gone. No way he gets $12M a year for 5 years from the Nats.

Dunn and Oswalt....I'll take Oswalt who watching him on the Astros channel sometimes has nasty nasty stuff.
Last edited by BCEagle74 on Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:29 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:Anyone want to set the odds that Brett Garner begins the year in LF? 1,000,000,000 to 1?

So who do they sign? Nady? Does Damon come crawling back? Thoughts?

Please send me the check. :banana

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:02 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:I changed my line-up!

JETER -- Needs to get more walks.
WINN --See how he does hitting second since he can steal 30
TEIXIERA -- Needs to hit for more average lik Texas
RODRIGUEZ --More HR's and RBI's
GRANDERSON --Better not strike out if the Intentionally pass A-Rod. He is protection.
JOHNSON -- If Granderson or Winn fail--move Johnson to the 2 hole or 5 hole.
POSADA -- If he catches 125 games and hits .285 and 20-80 --Backup needs more games and Posada at DH too.
SWISHER -- Better start mamking more contact and hit to LF more.
CANO -- Just keep gettting clutch hits and high OBP.

Just as I was cutting the check, I saw this post. You picked Winn!
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Next

Return to Shea Field