BC Men's Lax

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

BC Men's Lax

Postby MD_Eagle on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:03 pm

THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN.

The ACC only has like, 4 lacrosse teams, and I am NOT rooting for Maryland (I live in the state).

I've been rooting for the Naval Academy for a bit, but this is just silly.

There is no excuse, lacrosse is one of the fastest growing sports in the country.

WHY DOES GENE HATE EVERYTHING GOOD IN LIFE.
Officially, the only BC fan with no connections to BC at all.
MD_Eagle
n00b

Re: BC Men's Lax

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:08 pm

FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby ryrob on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:52 pm

MD_Eagle {l Wrote}:THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN.

The ACC only has like, 4 lacrosse teams, and I am NOT rooting for Maryland (I live in the state).

I've been rooting for the Naval Academy for a bit, but this is just silly.

There is no excuse, lacrosse is one of the fastest growing sports in the country.

WHY DOES GENE HATE EVERYTHING GOOD IN LIFE.

Because we so clearly need a Women's Sailing, Skiing, and Fencing team. Gooooo fencers.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:02 am

:81

We will have 74's dome before we have men's lax.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby ryrob on Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:04 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}::81

And it's sad too because you know BC would field a savage team full of Northeast prep school lax bros. Nonstop national titles, which actually might mean as much or more to the rest of the country as the hockey ones.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:29 am

Title niner is a big issue.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:02 am

ryrob {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}::81

And it's sad too because you know BC would field a savage team full of Northeast prep school lax bros. Nonstop national titles, which actually might mean as much or more to the rest of the country as the hockey ones.

Wrong. We had a team once and they weren't winning title after title. As long as we have football and Title IX we can just drop the lax and wrestling talk.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Mosi on Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:05 am

as one who played Lax in the 70s and still has the scars on my ass from the turf at Alumni to prove it

like Big Nick said, its all Title 9's fault... my nephew is a all star long stick defenseman in Fla, game is growing like crazy down there

of course he is planning on going to Gainesville or FSU for the chicks...he is MY nephew after all
"Felgie, you Kenmore Kommunity Kollege Eurotrash prettyboy, you're right about one thing, I'm a BC guy and my shit dosen't stink" Mosi on the whiner line 3/23/04
Mosi
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:21 am

Mosi {l Wrote}:as one who played Lax in the 70s and still has the scars on my ass from the turf at Alumni to prove it

like Big Nick said, its all Title 9's fault... my nephew is a all star long stick defenseman in Fla, game is growing like crazy down there

of course he is planning on going to Gainesville or FSU for the chicks...he is MY nephew after all

I watched those games!!!! on the then astroturf and those guys wore 3 cups and one plastic or metal from the bounces up to your junk.

Our BC QB was a great athlete and leading scorer. His last name I think started with an R.

As you know I love Lacrosse and BC is in the prime location for it and we have the facilities, but once again, GDF refuses to fight the BC ADMIN's, he can work around title 9 like most schools do but thet would take effort and thinking, and fund the scholarships or get more funding and make us better than Syracuse or UNC or Duke.

We are in Boston. WTF!!!!!

GDF like I said, is a loser.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:54 am

Every day, we on the rowing team would have to do an extra workout in the afternoons... weights, cardio, etc. It was PAINFUL watching the fencing team practice while you were busting your ass doing an extra lift or running an extra mile and those lacrosse (and rugby) guys were usually on the treadmill or weight machine right next to you too.

That said, word around the club sports arena is that men's lacrosse is the next club sport to go DI. All the pieces are there, it just needs to happen. Title IX is a big factor, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a varsity funded DI lacrosse program within the next five years. The ACC is a powerhouse when it comes to collegiate lacrosse (UNC, Duke, Maryland, Virginia.....) BC would just add to it and probably give us another conference championship trophy to put next to our soccer one. :angrychicken
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:12 am

From what I've heard Gene has no intentions of making D1 Lacrosse a reality.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:32 am

Isn't one way around the title 9 issues is just to create a mens and womens lax team? Therefore the mens/women scholarship ratio remains the same as it is today. The financial windfall from the inpending Fox ACC basketball/football TV contract and the additional land acquired from the purchase of the Brighton seminary would seem to make this a no brainer.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby shockdoct on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:15 am

Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:Isn't one way around the title 9 issues is just to create a mens and womens lax team? Therefore the mens/women scholarship ratio remains the same as it is today. The financial windfall from the inpending Fox ACC basketball/football TV contract and the additional land acquired from the purchase of the Brighton seminary would seem to make this a no brainer.

http://bceagles.cstv.com/sports/w-lacro ... -body.html
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby ryrob on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:45 am

It's just sad that sports that no one gives a fuck about or contribute anything to the university are the ones that are keeping a legitimate sport out. No offense to any scholarship athletes on the sailing, fencing, or golf teams, but honestly, kids from those demographics don't need the scholarship money more than any other well-off student at BC, nor do they generate any revenue/interest whatsoever.

It's not like football or basketball where a lot of kids come from poor areas and it's a way out, and those sports almost pay for themselves anyway. I would go to every lax game BC had and I know many others who feel similarly.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby shockdoct on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:53 am

A quick google yielded that D1 lacrosse allows 12.69 scholarships.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:55 am

shockdoct {l Wrote}:A quick google yielded that D1 lacrosse allows 12.69 scholarships.

You get a midget midfielder, then?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby ryrob on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:56 am

shockdoct {l Wrote}:A quick google yielded that D1 lacrosse allows 12.69 scholarships.

God forbid we give up 13 precious women's golf scholarships, for a team that finished 40 strokes behind the leader at their last match and I'd venture that no one even knew existed til I posted this.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:31 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

You get a midget midfielder, then?

Shame, shame--you insulted dwarfs, elves and sprites.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby AdamBC on Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:31 pm

ryrob {l Wrote}:

God forbid we give up 13 precious women's golf scholarships, for a team that finished 40 strokes behind the leader at their last match and I'd venture that no one even knew existed til I posted this.

You pull those, you have to pull 13 scholies in a men's sport. You need to find a women's sport that needs 12 scholies or a men's sport to kill to create the 12 scholies in LAX.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby AdamBC on Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:33 pm

AdamBC {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:

You pull those, you have to pull 13 scholies in a men's sport. You need to find a women's sport that needs 12 scholies or a men's sport to kill to create the 12 scholies in LAX.

Edit: You'd need to likely kill 2 mens sports, since we don't give out many scholies in most of the men's sports.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:57 pm

ryrob {l Wrote}:It's just sad that sports that no one gives a fuck about or contribute anything to the university are the ones that are keeping a legitimate sport out. No offense to any scholarship athletes on the sailing, fencing, or golf teams, but honestly, kids from those demographics don't need the scholarship money more than any other well-off student at BC, nor do they generate any revenue/interest whatsoever.

It's not like football or basketball where a lot of kids come from poor areas and it's a way out, and those sports almost pay for themselves anyway. I would go to every lax game BC had and I know many others who feel similarly.

I played lacrosse growing up and would like to see BC field a varsity team.

That said, you realize lacrosse is as much a rich, white person's sport as sailing, fencing, and golf, right?
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:40 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:It's just sad that sports that no one gives a fuck about or contribute anything to the university are the ones that are keeping a legitimate sport out. No offense to any scholarship athletes on the sailing, fencing, or golf teams, but honestly, kids from those demographics don't need the scholarship money more than any other well-off student at BC, nor do they generate any revenue/interest whatsoever.

That said, you realize lacrosse is as much a rich, white person's sport as sailing, fencing, and golf, right?

Jimmy Brown was not white.

I respect you. Tack left, shank right and I love all white people from Darien, Ct.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:49 pm

AdamBC {l Wrote}:
AdamBC {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:

Edit: You'd need to likely kill 2 mens sports, since we don't give out many scholies in most of the men's sports.

That is so wrong. There are exceptions to Title 9 and some schools down here have huge Equestrian, Rodeo, Rifle, Bowling, etc. and other sports which help out the balance or mens sports, and there are ways to manuver and work it.

When you add a sport you get scholarships you can balance!

Its all about a powerful, visionary at AD.

The University of Boston College's Atheltic Director is no Visionary and is a FUCKING ASSCLOWN.

We also never think.

We have 31 sports or one of the highest numbers of NCAA sports and you think with 33,000 applications/2,250 slots--- and all our 31 sports that academic scholarships can be maxxed out in lots of areas, since who the fuck at the NCAA Nazi Clown HQ is gonna question BC's judgment in this decision making process since our pristine graduation rates for 25 years are so spectacular and admission standards are so high?

Wasn't Matt Ryan a straight A student in HS? Lots of BC women and men could get 4 year academic scholarships and we could save scores of scholarship bunnies.

Nobody thinks up there. They are lazy and stupid. We are run by Puscadores.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby ryrob on Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:22 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

I more of meant that while Lax is just as preppy as those activities, at least it would generate interest for the university, something none of the the aforementioned "sports" do. It's not like they're doing anything other than wasting resources, they're not providing an education to kids who wouldn't otherwise get it and they're not aiding the university in any way. Make it club status, tell them to raise their own funds, because it's nothing but a drain.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:24 pm

ryrob {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

I more of meant that while Lax is just as preppy as those activities, at least it would generate interest for the university, something none of the the aforementioned "sports" do. It's not like they're doing anything other than wasting resources, they're not providing an education to kids who wouldn't otherwise get it and they're not aiding the university in any way. Make it club status, tell them to raise their own funds, because it's nothing but a drain.

This is an extremely narrow view of both the benefits and purpose of varsity athletics.

People always complain that varsity sports has become a big business and doesn't look out for the interests of the athlete (not that you said this, ryrob), yet the same people will say that less popular sports are only a drain and are willing to sacrifice these sports for one that would bring in more $.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby angryty on Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:46 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:From what I've heard Gene has no intentions of making D1 Lacrosse a reality.

This is correct. Greasy Gene has turned down a very wealthy parent of an alum who offered to fully fund a Men's lacrosse team. This is what I was told directly by the person in question. Said parent of an alum asked Gene D how much money it would cost to fully fund a Men's lacrosse team--that is, scholarships, coaches, travel expenses, everything from soup to nuts. Gene D, absolutely being a complete and total asshole, smirked at the guy and gave him a ridiculous, pie-in-the sky number, something akin to six or seven million dollars. Said guy goes home, juggles some numbers, calls another wealthy alum and offers to put up half the amount if they can find some people to match, and within a week, he has the full amount the sleazy greaseball demanded. He calls Gene D up and says "I can cut you a check today. Let's get the ball rolling." Gene D sputters and then tells him "I was wrong, it will cost double" and gets off the phone abruptly.
angryty
McGuinn Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:08 pm

I don't see how adding Lacrosse makes it any more likely BC gets to a BCS bowl or the National Championship game.

Please move this thread to the LAX board. :)
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:21 pm

It simply can't be done unless they invent more chick sports or cut other men's sports.

The problem with Title IX is real simple. Women should either have to start playing football, or football should be exempted from the scholarship tally. But no one is going to stand up for the rights of a male athlete in a non-revenue sport. So some schools just cut football. Some just cut everything else. Some invent women's sports of all types to achieve balance. Just be happy that BC is in the last category.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:16 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Women should either have to start playing football, or football should be exempted from the scholarship tally.

This is fact.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:24 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Women should either have to start playing football, or football should be exempted from the scholarship tally.

This is fact.

Since foxy boxing exists, I see no reason that women's college football (in thongs) shouldn't either. Everyone would win, except for the Femi-Nazis, but I hate them anyways.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Next

Return to Shea Field