BC Men's Lax

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: BC Men's Lax

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:37 pm

I am not a law talking guy but from what I understand, Title IX was well intentioned but poorly thoughtout law. Fortunately an exclusive NCAA commission came together in the early 2000s to review the situation and potentially craft revisions and challenges. Gene was on that committee and they decided to do nothing. Sad.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:03 pm

I like the bra and panties matches they used to have in WWE (and seemed to drop recently, much to my dismay). I say BC adds that as a women's sport along with men's lacrosse to keep the schollies equal.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:09 pm

I watched those games and my wife said I was the world's biggest asshole, but man!.... there was no Spazoo cushion in their defense and they hustled hard after the ball.

I pick up pointers for you kids from all sources so you can live in the glow of :bowdown :bowdown my aura.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:58 pm

mods, please move this thread to the new intramural board...
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:15 pm

WTF does this have to do with baseball, ool.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:22 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:reading

Overrated.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:19 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

reading is

for nerds and girls
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:32 am

I thought this was the baseball board, but I’ll roll with it because the thoughts of having a lax sounds like a really good one to me. …..

Out of curiosity do you know how many/if any scholarships are offered for m/w fencing and skiing?? Those are two programs that should be cut to save the AD $$$$$$$ I mean who is traveling to Waterville Valley, Cranmore or Gunstock to cheer on the eagles. (no offense to those sports since they still wear marron and gold. For the sake of argument, if we need to add a women’s sport to help out the title 9 situation I suggest bowling (which is a strictly female NCAA sport) and women’s gymnastics. I think both programs would be cheap to run and might give us some wiggle room for lax? Thoughts ?? Not to mention gymnastics would keep the male student body happy as well as some of the “dirty old whale pants crowd”….so win win I guess. Also the AD could make money if they charged $5 for m/w lax and soccer on the Newton campus, they’re always looking for a buck so there you go
BC HOCKEY: 1949-2001-2008-2010-2011 2012 and counting :angrychicken
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:38 am

bcsoxfan12 {l Wrote}:I thought this was the baseball board, but I’ll roll with it because the thoughts of having a lax sounds like a really good one to me. …..

Out of curiosity do you know how many/if any scholarships are offered for m/w fencing and skiing?? Those are two programs that should be cut to save the AD $$$$$$$ I mean who is traveling to Waterville Valley, Cranmore or Gunstock to cheer on the eagles. (no offense to those sports since they still wear marron and gold. For the sake of argument, if we need to add a women’s sport to help out the title 9 situation I suggest bowling (which is a strictly female NCAA sport) and women’s gymnastics. I think both programs would be cheap to run and might give us some wiggle room for lax? Thoughts ?? Not to mention gymnastics would keep the male student body happy as well as some of the “dirty old whale pants crowd”….so win win I guess. Also the AD could make money if they charged $5 for m/w lax and soccer on the Newton campus, they’re always looking for a buck so there you go

a gymnastics team is expensive to run... a university nearby cut their program for that reason recently.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby shockdoct on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:55 am

bcsoxfan12 {l Wrote}:I thought this was the baseball board, but I’ll roll with it because the thoughts of having a lax sounds like a really good one to me. …..

If this meant we would have a bowling alley on campus, I am all for it. On the other hand, bowling chicks would enroll...
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:06 pm

shockdoct {l Wrote}:

If this meant we would have a bowling alley on campus, I am all for it. On the other hand, bowling chicks would enroll...

If this happened, I'd have to constantly piss and moan for a bowling board for the bowling weirdos. It's a double-edged sword.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:14 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
shockdoct {l Wrote}:

Then, I'd have to constantly piss and moan for a bowling board for the bowling weirdos.

I'd prefer if you put your energy into a gymnastics board. Nothing but camel toe pics and shots of Shannon Miller trying to study through her giant bangs up at the Law School. :chewbanka
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:41 pm

Ok OK guys can I get a C- for trying……I just was pointing out the fact that to add another women’s program we’re screwed because we already have 54 I think…… weirdos wanting a bowling page hhhhmmmm NEVERMIND !!!!!!!!!!!!! What’s next a checkers board?? How the hell is gymnastics expensive to run all you need are some mats and a stripper poll…..oh wait I was thinking of something else, I’m all for funding education NEVERMIND….. thought maybe some dirty old guy would give $$$$$$ to see it bottom line we should have a men’s team especially if we have a women’s
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:19 pm

I was just at the bookstore and was walking through the magazine racks and noticed a magazine about collegiate lacrosse. Prompted by the discussion here I picked it up... 3 of the top 5 teams are in the ACC- Duke, UNC, UVA, and Maryland comes in at #7 (not to mention ND at #10 and I think Georgetown at #9). I say we'll see a DI lacrosse program back at the Heights by the end of this decade. :angrychicken
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby shockdoct on Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:08 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:I was just at the bookstore and was walking through the magazine racks and noticed a magazine about collegiate lacrosse. Prompted by the discussion here I picked it up... 3 of the top 5 teams are in the ACC- Duke, UNC, UVA, and Maryland comes in at #7 (not to mention ND at #10 and I think Georgetown at #9). I say we'll see a DI lacrosse program back at the Heights by the end of this decade. :angrychicken

I hope you are right, because that means :pickle will be gone.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:31 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:I say we'll see a DI lacrosse program back at the Heights by the end of this decade. :angrychicken
according to the Red Sox fans, that only gives us one more year.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:40 pm

Inside Lacrosse Face-Off Poll D1 Coaches’ Poll
1 – Duke 1 – Syracuse
2 – Syracuse 2 – Virginia
3 – Virginia 3 – Duke
4 – UNC 4 – UNC
5 – Cornell 5 – Hopkins
6 – Johns Hopkins 6 – Cornell
7 – Maryland 7 – Princeton
8 – Princeton 8 – Maryland
9 – Notre Dame 9 – Notre Dame
10 – Hofstra 10 – Navy
11 – Harvard 11 – Hofstra
12 – Navy 12 – UMBC
13 – Georgetown 13 – Georgetown
14 – UMBC 14 – Brown
15 – Brown 15 – Loyola
16 – Loyola 16 – Harvard
17 – Denver 17 – Umass
18 – UMass 18 – Bucknell
19 – Bucknell 19 – Albany
20 – Albany 20 – Penn State
21 – Ohio State 21 – Colgate
22 – Army 22 – Ohio State
23 – Penn State 23 – Stony Brook
24 – Drexel 24 – Denver
25 – Villanova 25 – Delaware
Note: Poll numbers based on 32 D1 Coaches Surveyed

Don't sleep on the Great Danes.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:04 pm

I have been waiting 7 years for BC's name to appear there.

BC is in the core epicenter for lacrosse recruiting on LI, MA, CT, and the East.

I blame this on BC Law graduates, except Jane.

:roll:

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:08 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Inside Lacrosse Face-Off Poll D1 Coaches’ Poll
1 – Duke 1 – Syracuse
3 – Virginia 3 – Duke
4 – UNC 4 – UNC
5 – Cornell 5 – Hopkins
10 – Hofstra 10 – Navy
12 – Navy 12 – UMBC
14 – UMBC 14 – Brown
15 – Brown 15 – Loyola
16 – Loyola 16 – Harvard
17 – Denver 17 – Umass
18 – UMass 18 – Bucknell
24 – Drexel 24 – Denver

I feel like Albany should be better at lax year in year out. For some reason, people think NY lax begins and ends with Long Island, but there is a ton of talent upstate. Had a few friends play at your alma mater.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:20 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Inside Lacrosse Face-Off Poll D1 Coaches’ Poll
1 – Duke 1 – Syracuse
3 – Virginia 3 – Duke
4 – UNC 4 – UNC
5 – Cornell 5 – Hopkins
10 – Hofstra 10 – Navy
12 – Navy 12 – UMBC
14 – UMBC 14 – Brown
15 – Brown 15 – Loyola
16 – Loyola 16 – Harvard
17 – Denver 17 – Umass
18 – UMass 18 – Bucknell
24 – Drexel 24 – Denver

I feel like Albany should be better at lax year in year out. For some reason, people think NY lax begins and ends with Long Island, but there is a ton of talent upstate. Had a few friends play at your alma mater.

They have had two down years after the year where they graduated the two top scorers in the country (and a profession goaltender) and lost to Cornell in OT in the quarters (the year Cornell won the title). For a period of 4-5 years they were consistently in the top 15, and won their conference.

The other problem they have is that the head coach is a Hopkins guy and has an "anywhere, anybody, anytime" attitude. They have UMBC and Stonybrook (both in the rankings) in their conference, and yet they schedule Syracuse, Hopkins and UMass every year, and play Notre Dame, Ohio State etc. Last year they went 7-7 and finished 25th in the computer rankings. The year before, they went 8-8 and finished 11th.

But in 2007, they went 15-3 (beating Hopkins et al) and finished 5th, 10th in the human polls. In 2005, they were 17th, 13th in the human polls.

Ironically though, most of Albany lax players are from Long Island. We jokingly referred to Albany as Long Island State.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:01 pm

Dont make me request for the mods to move this thread to the Albany Lax Board.

I swear I'll do it.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:08 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Dont make me request for the mods to move this thread to the Albany Lax Board.

I swear I'll do it.

LMFAO BIGNICK here we go again how many boards are we going to have here 98340903949092323 ?? BTW LOVE the avatar that is some funny shit !!!!

Seriously someone clue Gene in on a lot of things, LAX being one of them
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby weinerdog on Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:50 pm

A lot of comments, but hopefully I'm not going to be contributing to the :thehjs aspect of the whole lacrosse discussion.

I appreciate the passionate fan base of lacrosse. When I was at BC twenty years ago, the dying lacrosse program did have a lot of interest. I suspect a fair amount of that interest may have resided in the opportunity to go to night games at Alumni and drink without much policing, but support is support. I am not a lacrosse fan, but it's still disheartening to hear GDF so resistant to the sport even if he could get the funding handed to him. Assuming that ty's story is true, that's (1) quite a credit to the ardent supporters that BC's lax contingent does have, and (2) quite an indictment of GDF's asshattedness. If Gene could get such pie-in-the-sky funding for lax, to pay for it wholly, coming up with a solution to meet Title IX is the easy part, even if that solution is expanding women's sports to match it. Simply put: if he won't try it this way, then it's not funding that's the problem; it's him. When he's gone, the lax situation will likely change. I have never believed that until just now. I have always assumed men's lax was gone forever.

I have been hearing about how lacrosse is such a fast-growing sport for decades now. That leads me to ask: really? 60 colleges play D-1 lacrosse. This number is neither impressive nor exploding. Ten years ago, it was 55. As for high school, it does seem like more schools are fielding teams throughout the country. LaxPower ratings back me up on this--either there are more teams and conferences in all areas of the US year over year, or more are coming to the attention of laxpower, or some combination of both of those. But the hotbeds don't change, and the sport does not appear to be growing or gaining in prominence in those areas. It looks to me still like a niche sport. I live in the middle of Wisconsin, a couple hours from Canada, and rather close to the birthplace of this sport. Yet the only lacrosse to be found here is a Buick. Hell, none of the schools in the CITY of La Crosse has a lacrosse team.

I am not in favor of cutting sports to add men's lacrosse. All sports other than men's football, basketball, and ice hockey are financial drains, that's a given. Lacrosse would be too. Insert blurb about the broad value of non-revenue generating intercollegiate athletics here. Dumping an existing sport or two to restart a program that was, in its previous incarnation, not an overwhelming success in any manner is just wrong. And it's made worse by the particular teams lacrosse fans would favor dumping. The ski team, fencing team, and sailing team are highly successful programs from a competitive and matriculative point of view. The ski teams are high in the rankings every year. We've sent sailors to the Olympics. Our first Rhodes scholar was a fencer. These people are credits to our school. It'd be a shame to see such motivated and talented student-athletes go elsewhere.

No, I'd rather see BC add women's sports. There are enough candidates. While we have a lot of women's varsity teams already (edit: I originally said 18, but I'm not sure that's right), there are still a few NCAA sports we DON'T compete in. We don't have to stretch our university profile to find a couple. I'm not a fan of rifle. Maybe it's just me, but that seems so West Virginia. And bowling is right out. First off, it's not a natural fit. BC students didn't tend to grow up in settings where bowling was anything beyond recreation. Look, I'll be blunt about my perspective here: my prep school didn't field a varsity bowling team. We scoffed at the lesser schools that did. Know what I mean? Besides, unlike a lot of schools, we don't have bowling alleys on campus. We'd have to go offsite to a local bowling alley to practice. How embarrassing is that?

We do have facilities that could support a couple of other programs: gymnastics, or what I'd really like to see, Women's Water Polo. Hey, fit and athletic BC women in swimsuits: I'm a big fan. Seriously, though, you may think of it as predominantly a west coast sport, and you'd be right, but (1) baseball is a southern/western sport, and we're doing just fine, (2) there ARE good D-1 programs in the Atlantic/New England area, like Brown and Princeton, Maryland, Hartwick and Marist, and (3) the way that BC recruits for students nationally in general, we could draw talent from the west coast.

We did used to have a men's water polo team and it wasn't bad. (They got axed for Title IX.) Women's water polo at BC makes more sense than men's. We do currently have a club team that does fairly well at that level, much like the women's ice hockey team before they went varsity. Full funding for NCAA women's water polo is 8 scholarships. Filling that would not only go a long way toward helping the men's side of the equation for the athletic department, but would put us on equal footing with the top handful of teams and above the vast majority of schools that compete in the sport--a big advantage competitively. The women's game also utilizes a 25-meter pool, not the 30 that the men's sport does. That's doable: the current 25-yard pool needs renovation anyway; they could deepen it a couple feet and lengthen it a little and that would make it regulation. Even if they didn't renovate the pool, several other local schools like BU and Harvard have regulation facilities for their teams, and we could contract for use of their pools.

Another question I have: what's the status of skiing? While it's a varsity sport, we don't compete in the NCAA,but in the USCSA. How does that figure into our scholarship breakdown? Is it considered with respect to BC fulfilling the NCAA's Title IX requirements? Do we even offer scholarships? Could we? What would the scholarship/Title IX ramifications be of switching to the NCAA? Further, we only field an alpine team. Could we expand the team in the direction of snowboarding, freestyle, and/or cross-country and add scholarships accordingly? Anyone here actually know this?

Next, as I understand it, to fully fund lacrosse with scholarships, wouldn't we have to add about 13.75 women's scholies? Correct me if I'm wrong (like I need to bother saying that in here), but isn't Title IX's equality tied to the enrollment gender ratio? BC is 52 percent female. If the 48% male group got an additional 12.69 scholarships, would the 52% female group get an additional 13.7475?

Lastly, does anyone on the inside know with any precision what % of "full-fundedness" we are for each of the women's sports? Meaning (a) how many scholarships constitute full-funding for the sport, and (b) how many do we have? Obviously, we fully fund hoops. That means we can give 15 scholarships, and I'm sure we do. But what about each of the other sports? For example, we can give 8 scholies for women's tennis, and 20 for women's rowing. But how many DO we give? I wouldn't be surprised to hear that we're giving out all 12 scholarships for women's soccer or 18 for ice hockey--especially given the success of the teams--but I have a hard time believing we fully fund women's swimming (14 scholies) or volleyball (12). What I'm getting it is: How much room do we have to grow with the existing women's teams, before we would even have to add new varsity programs? Are my "fully-funded" numbers even right? I'd love to see a breakdown by sport.
"...and, more importantly, me."
--Gene DeFilippo, January 7, 2009.
weinerdog
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:07 pm

Add Men's Lacrosse and all the women's sports.

Great post DOG!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby bosa90 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:37 pm

MEN's Lacrosse?? Lacrosse is for chix and mos.

:dildodog
bosa90
McGuinn Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:49 am

bosa90 {l Wrote}:MEN's Lacrosse?? Lacrosse is for chix and mos.

:dildodog

Eat a dick.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:46 am

I just got this ad:

This is an omen that BC needs to add men's lacrosse. Even the Google Ad-bot knows.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:58 am

I thought the same thing the first time I saw the ad Nick.........GDF doesn't care about LAX :lame
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:05 pm

Quidditch is next for GDF.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Previous

Return to Shea Field