OT: Bay

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

OT: Bay

Postby auggiebc on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:17 pm

WFAN in NY is reporting that Jason Bay will sign with the Mets. It's a done deal barring physical and will be officially announced this weekend.

I was banking on Bay returning to Boston. With this news, I think Theo needs to spend more of Henry's money to sure up the offense. Ellsbury to SD for Adrian Gonzalez would be a good start.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Re: OT: Bay

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:25 pm

:81
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:28 pm

Who else was he going to sign with? He believed there would be a big market and thus rejected the 4 for 60 offer but the Mets were the only real contender.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby shockdoct on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:41 pm

the sox miss out on the 1st round pick now.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby branchinator on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:56 pm

Bay is going to be miserable in the field at Citi but the Mets desperately need some more pop in the middle of their order. Not a bad signing all things considered.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby Shredder on Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:43 pm

Bay will be good in NY. His arm isn't great but I didn't think his fielding was all that bad, even away from Fenway. From what I've been reading, the Padres won't trade Gonzalez this winter. I think it's more likely the Sox wait until Gonzalez is a free agent after 2011 because with the Yankees tied to Teixeira, they won't have as much bidding competition.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby buconvict on Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:17 pm

Shredder {l Wrote}:Bay will be good in NY. His arm isn't great but I didn't think his fielding was all that bad, even away from Fenway. From what I've been reading, the Padres won't trade Gonzalez this winter. I think it's more likely the Sox wait until Gonzalez is a free agent after 2011 because with the Yankees tied to Teixeira, they won't have as much bidding competition.

Jason needs to fire his agent immediately. What a pitiful job. Guy got one offer.

Additionally, the Mets once again win a bidding war with themselves. Hooray for Omar Minaya!

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:39 pm

buconvict {l Wrote}:
Shredder {l Wrote}:Bay will be good in NY. His arm isn't great but I didn't think his fielding was all that bad, even away from Fenway. From what I've been reading, the Padres won't trade Gonzalez this winter. I think it's more likely the Sox wait until Gonzalez is a free agent after 2011 because with the Yankees tied to Teixeira, they won't have as much bidding competition.

Jason needs to fire his agent immediately. What a pitiful job. Guy got one offer.

Additionally, the Mets once again win a bidding war with themselves. Hooray for Omar Minaya!

He's right up there with Steve Phillips for ineptitude...minus the fatties of course.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:43 pm

The real question is will Bay's numbers triumph the Mike Cameron/Jeremy Hermedia platoon that we'll trot out in left field?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:59 pm

What did the Mets give him? Did he get his five years that he was looking for?
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:04 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:What did the Mets give him? Did he get his five years that he was looking for?

4/66
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:05 pm

He got 4 years with a vesting 5th. How that 5th years vests will deterime whether it is a great deal or not.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:10 pm

Sox to eventually sign Adrian Beltre.

Looking to re-dump Lowell to avoid Luxury Tax Communism.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:37 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Sox to eventually sign Adrian Beltre.

No matter how talented he is defensively, we don't need another Mike Cameron. Beltre will become the next J.D. Drew, some huge contractual albatross for the Red Sox. Just let Lowell heal and play at this point, we already owe him 12 million.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:10 pm

Bad move for Jason. New York has a higher cost of living and higher state and city taxes that will pretty much eat up the extra $6M he is getting over what the Sox offered him.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:49 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

No matter how talented he is defensively, we don't need another Mike Cameron. Beltre will become the next J.D. Drew, some huge contractual albatross for the Red Sox. Just let Lowell heal and play at this point, we already owe him 12 million.

If Beltre became the next Drew that would legitimately be fan-fucking-tastic. JD Drew had a bad first year but has been an incredibly solid player who's pretty much rightly compensated for his performance.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Karma Fairy on Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:53 pm

Bad move. The Mets cant compete with the Phils and are a graveyard for talent. Silly.
Karma Fairy
n00b

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:00 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I'd be happy with another JD Drew in that lineup. Any Sox fan should be.

I don't know why Sox fans complain about the Drew contract. It's not like it's their money, and as I recall, the next best free agent RF at the time was Dick Hidalgo.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:07 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:Bad move for Jason. New York has a higher cost of living and higher state and city taxes that will pretty much eat up the extra $6M he is getting over what the Sox offered him.

City taxes only come into play if he lives in NYC. No city taxes if he lives in the suburbs (See: Pete, Big).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:31 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
gallopingghost {l Wrote}:Bad move for Jason. New York has a higher cost of living and higher state and city taxes that will pretty much eat up the extra $6M he is getting over what the Sox offered him.

City taxes only come into play if he lives in NYC. No city taxes if he lives in the suburbs (See: Pete, Big).

I thought there was a commuter city tax - no?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:38 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Nope. Pataki did away with it for New York residents who lived in the suburbs, but left it in place for those living in CT and NJ. Any first year associate can tell you that that is unconstitutional. Sure enough, it was challenged in court and lost. But, instead of reinstituting it, he abolished it all together... much to the anger of the Mayor of NYC. So... NYC residents got a hefty city income tax increase to offset the loss of revenue from the commuters and increase in things like police to protect commuters in high target areas such as Port Authority, Penn Station and Grand Central.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:42 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Nope. Pataki did away with it for New York residents who lived in the suburbs, but left it in place for those living in CT and NJ. Any first year associate can tell you that that is unconstitutional. Sure enough, it was challenged in court and lost. But, instead of reinstituting it, he abolished it all together... much to the anger of the Mayor of NYC. So... NYC residents got a hefty city income tax increase to offset the loss of revenue from the commuters and increase in things like police to protect commuters in high target areas such as Port Authority, Penn Station and Grand Central.

Yeah it was deemed unconstitutional in 1999, but a new one crept in (somewhat different I suppose - I'm no expert on the subject):

http://www.tax.state.ny.us/pdf/memos/mta_mobility/m09_1mctmt.pdf

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20603037&sid=aQtKXMG1JPI4
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby buconvict on Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:51 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I don't know why Sox fans complain about the Drew contract. It's not like it's their money, and as I recall, the next best free agent RF at the time was Dick Hidalgo.

BUT DREW DOESN'T SHOW ANY EMOTION AND HE DOESN'T HIT FOR ENOUGH POWAHHHHH.

JD Drew is fucking awesome, and is a bargain at 14 million. Bargain.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:53 pm

buconvict {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I'd hardly call him a fucking bargain, but I could give a shit what he is paid. I like Drew, good player. Talent wise, he is a rich man's Trot Nixon.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:56 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I'd hardly call him a fucking bargain, but I could give a shit what he is paid. I like Drew, good player. Talent wise, he is a rich man's Trot Nixon.

Drew is one of the biggest wastes of natual-given talent out there. Should be a stud, instead he is simply an above-average player. I blame his effort. I heard he went back in to get his purse at Baseball Tavern after a loss and Doug Mirabelli deuched him in the eye.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby branchinator on Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:02 pm

I'd take another JD anywhere in the lineup other than 3/4. He's allergic to driving in runs.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:02 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Yeah it was deemed unconstitutional in 1999, but a new one crept in (somewhat different I suppose - I'm no expert on the subject):

That's the stupid new Save-The-MTA tax of 0.3%. The commuter tax abolished back under Pataki was at the same rate as the NYC Income Tax (which today is at 3.648%). When you combine that with State and Federal Taxes, you get 45.5%... solely in income tax. And... this is before Obama starts jacking everything up so people "pay their fare share" and before he institutes his Health Care tax. The Post did an article months back and NYC residents under certain Obama-legislation would be paying something like 65% or 70% in income taxes alone (that doesn't include other things like Social Security).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BigPete on Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:06 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

First, congratulations on the 5 year deal (the AB vest means only not vesting if he's not a starter or hurt) with Bay. He will hit at LEAST 16 home runs in Shiti.

Second, New York residents who enjoy the convenience and pretensions of living in that faggatorium can continue to pay city taxes. When you jerkwads pay taxes to municipalities you travel to for work, I'll start doing the same. Then again we would not have most of the scum of the earth city people up to Toughchester even if they promised to work. Commuters such as myself are the best, manhattanites are the worst.

HomoJS you have nothing to worry about with taxes, my sources indicate your wife is a bigtime partner style lawtalker with insane cashola, thus your being able to live in the gilded borough.
BigPete
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:11 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

That's the stupid new Save-The-MTA tax of 0.3%. The commuter tax abolished back under Pataki was at the same rate as the NYC Income Tax (which today is at 3.648%). When you combine that with State and Federal Taxes, you get 45.5%... solely in income tax. And... this is before Obama starts jacking everything up so people "pay their fare share" and before he institutes his Health Care tax. The Post did an article months back and NYC residents under certain Obama-legislation would be paying something like 65% or 70% in income taxes alone (that doesn't include other things like Social Security).

Check. Just makin' sure I got my shit straight. I still don't.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:52 pm

Remember when Jason Bay was a thing?
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Next

Return to Shea Field