Yes We Cam

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Yes We Cam

Postby bignick33 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:23 pm

Mike Cameron and Sox agree to terms after Bay turned down 4/60. They have upgraded at defense at two positions already and are poised to upgrade at a third (3B). He's certainly not young.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2009/12/next_up_for_red.html
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Re: Yes We Cam

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:22 am

Cameron is in great shape.
Cam is better than Damon.
Cam is very durable. 11-12 years over 120 games and 10-12 over 140!

Cam could ahve a career year at Fenway since he strikes out a lot and hit high flies into the monster like Rico Petrocelli. Ken Harrelson type of .240 -- 35 --- 110 type of season.

If the Bosox were not going to sign Bay, this guy was a nice move.

Nice staff, and plenty of ammo left for Adrian Gonzalez.

SD should make Boston give up the top 2 and one other nice prospect, but it would be worth it for a 8 year All Star and Raffy Palmerio (no juice)/Tex type, but Gonz will be a FA in 2011.

Theo is assertive, getting much smarter and if he snares the Kooba Kid and Gonzo, that would make 2 super teams and the Yankees would need to match with more newclear weapons like Bay and Pinero.

Money talks and bullshit walks and Bos and NY have $$$$ but Theo gets an A+ if he gets Gonz, so far he is spectacular.

Perfect age, explosive stats in worst hitting ballpark in Majors. Great defense.

The GM of the Pittsburgh Pirates, Padres, etc..they must be like kids with thei faces pressed against a Candy Store window and no change.

Yet another ex-Texas Ranger All star 1B--Raffy, Tex, Gonz, Pena, etc...seen them all.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:00 am

$8 mill/year for an OF who is going to be 37 and for the last 4 years is: .251, 23, 75?

I'm going to raise my kids to be baseball players
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby buconvict on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:13 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:$8 mill/year for an OF who is going to be 37 and for the last 4 years is: .251, 23, 75?

Just make sure they are generationally elite fielders, excellent baserunners, and mash lefties to the tune of a .900+ OPS.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:17 am

If they still manage to get Gonzalez, this is going to be a very good lineup to go with maybe the best staff in the majors. But do they have any middle relievers?
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby buconvict on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:24 am

I have to confess, when I saw the title of thread I thought it was going to be some sort of Obama-Cam that HustlinOwl fondles himself to. NTTAWWT.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:25 am

buconvict {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:$8 mill/year for an OF who is going to be 37 and for the last 4 years is: .251, 23, 75?

Just make sure they are generationally elite fielders, excellent baserunners, and mash lefties to the tune of a .900+ OPS.

Sure 5 years ago he was an elite fielder but is he still at 37? I don't know I haven't watched him in a couple of years, he's going to be playing a new position. Excellent baserunner? He also mashed lefties to a tune of .271, but I know BA is obsolete to pink hat nation. Just don't think he's worth $16 mill/2 for when he is 37 & 38.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby buconvict on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:51 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:

Sure 5 years ago he was an elite fielder but is he still at 37? I don't know I haven't watched him in a couple of years, he's going to be playing a new position. Excellent baserunner? He also mashed lefties to a tune of .271, but I know BA is obsolete to pink hat nation. Just don't think he's worth $16 mill/2 for when he is 37 & 38.

His defense is still elite.

He is an excellent baserunner. Just like JD Drew (though Johnny Burger King would never notice because he doesn't dive into bases).

You're right, OPS is a stupid stat. Getting on base and getting extra base hits is dumb. Better to hit 160 singles per year and win the batting title like Nomar Garciaparra used to do.

He is absolutely worth the contract he received.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:08 am

The money involved in a contract really isn't something to worry too much about when you're a team like the Sox. What's more important to consider is the length of the commitments they make in their contracts. They're the Red Sox. They don't have an endless supply of money like the Yankees, but they have the ability to spend a lot of money each year.

What would get them into trouble is signing players to the 6 and 7 year deals that the Yanks are known to ink. That creates a lot of commitment long term and hinders flexibility. You can't trade out of those contracts because who in the league can take on those commitments? The Sox could eat some of the contract, but that's really hard to do if you trying to trade a guy's final 2 or 3 years away.

Most Sox long term contracts are for 4 years - 5 if it's a guy they really want. Paying 8 mil for Cameron isn't really a big deal. It's a two year deal. It's something they can eat if he turns out to be absolutely terrible (but I'm with BUC in saying he's a value add right now).
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby McDeere's Bombardier on Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:21 am

Agreed. The Yankees just agreed to pay $11M for a P who is 37 and has averaged a 4.25 ERA and 14 wins over the last four years. I'm guessing there is some sentimentality that attaches to the "core four", but I think the Yankees paid a bit too much for a guy who wasn't exactly about to bolt to another team.
McDeere's Bombardier
n00b

Return to Shea Field