HOT STOVE LEAGUE 3! PREDICTIONS HERE! YANKS GET VASQUEZ!

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: HOT STOVE LEAGUE 3! YOUR PREDICTIONS HERE!

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:23 pm

buconvict {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Lowell still a Red Sox.

He came to cowtown needing ligamnet surgery and sees Number 1 hand Doctore in USA and thinks x-ray will show something else?

WTF?

If he had surgery in October, he would be healed by now and ready for spring training?

This is nothing more than Mike Lowell being a whiney jerk-off who decides to throw a temper tantrum and kill the deal. As I said in the 2nd post of this thread, he will get his surgery, complain that Theo (the guys who foolishly and generously gave him a frontloaded 3/45 contract) doesn't respect him, and sit on the 60-day until Jone, when he will be DFA'd.

F Mike Lowell. When a team tries to give another team 9 million dollars to make you go away, get the hint and leave.

The crazy part about he Lowell contract is that the Phillies offered him a 4th year and a No-Trade Clause. And he still chose Boston.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby buconvict on Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:26 pm

He knew his body was calcifying every day and that a 4th year in a non DH league would never work, he'd be crucified in Philly. Unfortunately in Boston, people are still strangely enamored with Iron Mikey because he ran over Doug Mientkiewicz that one time 4 years ago.

Side story: I once bought a Doug Mientkiewicz autographed, game used bat for 250 dollars. Oops.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:20 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:There's absolutely NO chance Curtis Granderson bats 3rd in the Yankees' lineup next year.

I thought about that and weighed his speed versus his strikeouts.

Good point...here is Grandy batting 5th. I still would like to see the more pitching like Capps, The Kooban Chapman, Lowe (Atlanta looking to dump him and $15M, very unlikely)/Sheets, Bedard, Garland, Valverde, for a year or two, or Pinero.

JETER --ss
JOHNSON --dh
TEIXIERA--1b
RODRIGUEZ--3b
GRANDERSON--cf
POSADA --c
CANO --2b
SWISHER --rf
MAYBE DAMON ???????? --lf

No Lowe, but Javier Vasquez for Cabrera abd Dunn.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:24 pm

NEW YORK (AP) — Two people familiar with the trade tell The Associated Press that pitcher Javy Vazquez has been traded back to the New York Yankees by the Atlanta Braves.

The people spoke on condition of anonymity because the swap had not yet been announced.

New York also will get left-hander Boone Logan as part of the deal and will send the Braves outfielder Melky Cabrera and left-handed pitching prospect Mike Dunn, one person said.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:29 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:There's absolutely NO chance Curtis Granderson bats 3rd in the Yankees' lineup next year.

I thought about that and weighed his speed versus his strikeouts.

Good point...here is Grandy batting 5th. I still would like to see the more pitching like Capps, The Kooban Chapman, Lowe (Atlanta looking to dump him and $15M, --Atlanta dumped Vasquez! very unlikely)/Sheets, Bedard, Garland, Valverde, for a year or two, or Pinero.

JETER --ss
JOHNSON --dh
TEIXIERA--1b
RODRIGUEZ--3b
GRANDERSON--cf
POSADA --c
CANO --2b
SWISHER --rf
WINN -- lf

No Lowe, but Javier Vasquez for Cabrera and Dunn.

I bet the Yankees tell Damon take $6M or buh bye.

Sources: Yankees, Winn agree to dealComment Email Print Share ESPN.com news services

The New York Yankees have agreed to terms with free agent outfielder Randy Winn on a one-year contract, pending a physical, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

The contract is worth in the neighborhood of $2 million.

The deal, in all likelihood, ends any chance that Johnny Damon will return to the Yankees. The Yankees now seem set with their outfield for the 2010 season.

The 36-year-old Winn hit .262 in 149 games last season for San Francisco.

Damon and his agent Scott Boras are trying to engage the Detroit Tigers and Cincinnati Reds as possible alternatives, a baseball source told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick.

Boras has been successful placing many of his clients in Detroit, and the addition of Damon in left field would allow the Tigers to give Carlos Guillen more at-bats at DH.

The Tigers traded leadoff hitter Curtis Granderson to the Yankees in December and lost No. 2 hitter Placido Polanco to the Phillies in free agency, so the top of their batting order is in a state of transition.

Cincinnati's outfield alignment currently consists of Jay Bruce in right field, Drew Stubbs in center field and Chris Dickerson in left. The Reds' leadoff hitters also ranked last in the major leagues with a .650 OPS in 2009.

The catch is, the Reds and Tigers don't appear to have much money left in the budget. Both clubs have been economizing this offseason, and that might be truer than ever now that Cincinnati has signed Cuban pitcher Aroldis Chapman and Detroit has added closer Jose Valverde. Both teams would probably have to get creative to make a run at Damon.

Buster Olney is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.
Last edited by BCEagle74 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:32 pm

Javier Vazquez back in the AL East:

12 Wins
4.50 ERA
1.25 WHIP
180 Ks

Not sure why the Yankees brought him back after his first stint there, he's proven he can't pitch on the big stage. That tiny ballpark won't help him either.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:39 pm

Go check out the stats on Vasquez's durability. WOW.

12 years 32 starts per year and 208 innings.

He may go 18-8 in the AL with a good team if he pitches like last year, but that was the NL minor leagues, but the NL East has some bats??

Sabathia
Burnett
Pettitte
Vasquez
Chamberlain --To me he needs to be groomed as the next Mariano reliever candidate, but he seems a little slow and his control is suspect for a reliever.

Bruney
Marte
Hughes
Aceves
Robertson

Rivera

**********Comeback trail guys?
Gaudin
Towers

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Re: HOT STOVE LEAGUE 3! PREDICTIONS HERE! YANKS GET VASQUEZ!

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:25 pm

Curious to see what Vazquez does. He had a 1.20 GB/FB rate, which is completely out of the norm for his career. Either its an anomaly or he's changed the way he's pitched. Hopefully it's the former rather than the latter.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:31 pm

It seems that the Yanks have countered the Sox acquisition of Boof Bonser.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:20 pm

Rationally, this isn't a bad move for the Yankees. Viscerally, however, it makes me want to vomit.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby buconvict on Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:43 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:It seems that the Yanks have countered the Sox acquisition of Boof Bonser.

FAXCIAL

This move will either work remarkably or fail miserably. I don't doubt that Vazquez can toss 200 innings, it's important innings that count. The guy got run out of Chicago because he couldn't big games, I can't imagine he'll be any better in NY this time around.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:49 pm

Take note NL people, the Mets have made the splash of the offseason signing RA Dickey!
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby EagleNYC on Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:13 pm

buconvict {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:It seems that the Yanks have countered the Sox acquisition of Boof Bonser.

FAXCIAL

This move will either work remarkably or fail miserably. I don't doubt that Vazquez can toss 200 innings, it's important innings that count. The guy got run out of Chicago because he couldn't big games, I can't imagine he'll be any better in NY this time around.

If he can actually go 200 innings and reproduces his 14-10 record from his first stint, I'll take it. The yanks only go 3 deep in the rotation anyway.

W/4 starters lined up, Joba to the pen now? Phil Hughes as a #5 would work nicely.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby buconvict on Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:51 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:

FAXCIAL

If he can actually go 200 innings and reproduces his 14-10 record from his first stint, I'll take it. The yanks only go 3 deep in the rotation anyway.

W/4 starters lined up, Joba to the pen now? Phil Hughes as a #5 would work nicely.

Absolutely. He will log innings against BMore and Toronto and the Royals, but I have to imagine Yankee fans will not be looking forward to any start he makes against Boston or Anaheim.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:01 pm

buconvict {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:

FAXCIAL

Absolutely. He will log innings against BMore and Toronto and the Royals, but I have to imagine Yankee fans will not be looking forward to any start he makes against Boston or Anaheim.

We'll see. If the Sox add Gonzalez I'll agree with the Boston part; otherwise Vazquez' penchant for throwing strikes will just lead to favorable counts against Youk & crew. Against Anaheim, Texas, Minnesota, and Toronto, not so much.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:39 pm

Red Sox Miguel Cabrera Trade

Youk = 22M
Lowell = 12
Drew = 28

TOTAL = 62M in next 2 years

Cabrera = 120M in next 6 years.

Boston-The Boston Red Sox may be considering a blockbuster deal involving Detroit Tigers Miguel Cabrera. The Red Sox numerous off season deals have positioned the team with significantly improved defensive as well as pitching. The one glaring area of weakness is the lack of firepower in the middle of the lineup.
In light of the currently bloated roster the Red Sox have numerous options to package a deal for Miguel Cabrera. A deal may involve a third party team.

Current considerations include moving Mike Lowell, Kevin Youkilis as well as JD Drew and prospects.

It is no secret the Red Sox want to move Lowell. What is not expected is the packaging of Youkilis for Cabrera.

Youkilis is signed thru 2012 at an average of $10 Million per year with an option for 2013.

Cabrera is signed thru 2015 at an average of $20 Million per year.

In moving JD Drew the Red Sox unload $14 Million per year for the next 2 years. Lowell is owed $12 Million this year. The Red Sox are most likely considering supplementing the salary burdens for any teams willing to deal for Lowell and JD Drew. David Ortiz $12 Million Salary will most likely drop significantly after 2011 if indeed he is still with the Red Sox at that time. The deal for Cabrera may be seen as a wise investement and insurance for the Red Sox long term production in the 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 seasons.
Detroit gets a great first baseman in Kevin Youkilis for half the money. The Red Sox get one of the top 3 offensive players in the Major Leagues.
The only contracts to eclipse Cabrera's on an annual basis are Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Manny Ramirez, Mark Teixeira, CC Sabathia, Johan Santana.

A key in any deal for Cabrera would be the Boston Red Sox signing of Jeremy Hermida in November. This deal opens up the door to package JD Drew in a deal. The Red Sox have considered Hermida a steal from the moment they acquired him in November. It is conceivable that the acquisition of Hermida was originally intended as a replacement for Jason Bay. It now appears that it may actually be the impetus for the Red Sox Brass to move JD Drew now that they have depth with Mike Cameron in the outfield.

As has beeen the position of the Red Sox throughout the offseason dealing Buckholtz would most liekly be off the table. Any pitching included in a deal would be prospects.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:43 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Red Sox Miguel Cabrera Trade

Youk = 22M
Lowell = 12
Drew = 28

TOTAL = 62M in next 2 years

Cabrera = 120M in next 6 years.

Boston-The Boston Red Sox may be considering a blockbuster deal involving Detroit Tigers Miguel Cabrera. The Red Sox numerous off season deals have positioned the team with significantly improved defensive as well as pitching. The one glaring area of weakness is the lack of firepower in the middle of the lineup.
In light of the currently bloated roster the Red Sox have numerous options to package a deal for Miguel Cabrera. A deal may involve a third party team.

Current considerations include moving Mike Lowell, Kevin Youkilis as well as JD Drew and prospects.

It is no secret the Red Sox want to move Lowell. What is not expected is the packaging of Youkilis for Cabrera.

Youkilis is signed thru 2012 at an average of $10 Million per year with an option for 2013.

Cabrera is signed thru 2015 at an average of $20 Million per year.

In moving JD Drew the Red Sox unload $14 Million per year for the next 2 years. Lowell is owed $12 Million this year. The Red Sox are most likely considering supplementing the salary burdens for any teams willing to deal for Lowell and JD Drew. David Ortiz $12 Million Salary will most likely drop significantly after 2011 if indeed he is still with the Red Sox at that time. The deal for Cabrera may be seen as a wise investement and insurance for the Red Sox long term production in the 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 seasons.
Detroit gets a great first baseman in Kevin Youkilis for half the money. The Red Sox get one of the top 3 offensive players in the Major Leagues.
The only contracts to eclipse Cabrera's on an annual basis are Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Manny Ramirez, Mark Teixeira, CC Sabathia, Johan Santana.

A key in any deal for Cabrera would be the Boston Red Sox signing of Jeremy Hermida in November. This deal opens up the door to package JD Drew in a deal. The Red Sox have considered Hermida a steal from the moment they acquired him in November. It is conceivable that the acquisition of Hermida was originally intended as a replacement for Jason Bay. It now appears that it may actually be the impetus for the Red Sox Brass to move JD Drew now that they have depth with Mike Cameron in the outfield.

As has beeen the position of the Red Sox throughout the offseason dealing Buckholtz would most liekly be off the table. Any pitching included in a deal would be prospects.

:tre

Beforeitsnews.com?

Posted by Anonymous??

And of course this Anonymous fellow can't spell Buchholz.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:51 pm

Sorry I was had.

Senile old fuck.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby AdamBC on Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:05 pm

Mods, crank this thread to 11! Move it to the baseball board!
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:40 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Sorry I was had.

Senile old fuck.

Not your fault. It happens to me every Hot Stove season.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:11 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
JETER --ss
JOHNSON --dh
TEIXIERA--1b
RODRIGUEZ--3b
GRANDERSON--cf
POSADA --c
CANO --2b
SWISHER --rf
WINN -- lf

I bet the Yankees tell Damon take $6M or buh bye.

Sources: Yankees, Winn agree to dealComment Email Print Share ESPN.com news services

The New York Yankees have agreed to terms with free agent outfielder Randy Winn on a one-year contract, pending a physical, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

The contract is worth in the neighborhood of $2 million.

The deal, in all likelihood, ends any chance that Johnny Damon will return to the Yankees. The Yankees now seem set with their outfield for the 2010 season.

The 36-year-old Winn hit .262 in 149 games last season for San Francisco.

Damon and his agent Scott Boras are trying to engage the Detroit Tigers and Cincinnati Reds as possible alternatives, a baseball source told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick.

Boras has been successful placing many of his clients in Detroit, and the addition of Damon in left field would allow the Tigers to give Carlos Guillen more at-bats at DH.

The Tigers traded leadoff hitter Curtis Granderson to the Yankees in December and lost No. 2 hitter Placido Polanco to the Phillies in free agency, so the top of their batting order is in a state of transition.

Cincinnati's outfield alignment currently consists of Jay Bruce in right field, Drew Stubbs in center field and Chris Dickerson in left. The Reds' leadoff hitters also ranked last in the major leagues with a .650 OPS in 2009.

The catch is, the Reds and Tigers don't appear to have much money left in the budget. Both clubs have been economizing this offseason, and that might be truer than ever now that Cincinnati has signed Cuban pitcher Aroldis Chapman and Detroit has added closer Jose Valverde. Both teams would probably have to get creative to make a run at Damon.

Buster Olney is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.[/quote]

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun May 23, 2010 4:06 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:
eaglesmith {l Wrote}:I don't care if Carlos Silva is worthless, at least the Cubs got rid of Milton Bradley and gained about $6 million in the process. Even if they release Silva outright, they can use that 6 mil for a CF like Byrd. Either way, Silva won't be a cancer in the clubhouse like Bradley. (I am aware that Bradley will, for lack of a better phrase, progress to the mean this season and many idiots will say the Cubs got ripped off.)

The NL can turn even the shittiest AL pitcher into a useful player. I'm sure the Cubs will give Silva a chance in Spring Training before cutting him.

BRANCH--

74 was reading this and is floored...BRILLIANT!

Silva is the first pitcher in BB to go 5-0 for 3 teams and in a few minutes maybe 6-0 today!

:bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat May 29, 2010 8:17 pm

Branch = genius

7-0 SILVA and Bradley is on amblify with 490 bad side effects.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby branchinator on Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:31 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Branch = genius

7-0 SILVA and Bradley is on amblify with 490 bad side effects.

Carlos Silva is now 8-0 with a 2.93 ERA. In the AL, he would be 2-6 with a 4.95 ERA. This is exactly why NL baseball sucks ass.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:52 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Where are the old Kansas City Athletics that the Yankees used as a farm club in the glory years?

Bay is nice. I would like to see the Kooba Kid and/or Pinero and Capps added.

Cliff Lee may win 30 in Seattle.

Big ballpark.

Then again I said my main man Carl Pavano would win 35 last year!

Pavano may win 20.

Hinske is en fuego.

When am I ever wrong, or not close... :lame

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Previous

Return to Shea Field