Everything about Soccer Sucks

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby HustlinOwl on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:10 pm

Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:19 pm

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013 ... usmnt-usa/

Clint Dempsey is apparently getting transferred from T*tt*nh*m to Seattle Sounders. $41 million, 4 yr deal worth $8 million per yr, in addition to Seattle paying the London team almost $10 million just to acquire his rights. So Seattle will probably go from averaging ~35k per game to way the fuck more. Only fucked up thing is that he'll be playing on the shitty Century Link turf.

Pretty jealous of him signing for Seattle.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby HustlinOwl on Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:34 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/02/clint-dempsey-seattle-sounders-transfer-latest-news-rumors-tottenham-spurs-usmnt-usa/

Clint Dempsey is apparently getting transferred from T*tt*nh*m to Seattle Sounders. $41 million, 4 yr deal worth $8 million per yr, in addition to Seattle paying the London team almost $10 million just to acquire his rights. So Seattle will probably go from averaging ~35k per game to way the fuck more. Only fucked up thing is that he'll be playing on the shitty Century Link turf.

Who's Clint Dempsey?
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:25 pm

I know you hate soccer, and I know you're waging war against the federal government from your remote mountain shack, but as an American you should still know who Clint Dempsey is.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:55 pm

HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/02/clint-dempsey-seattle-sounders-transfer-latest-news-rumors-tottenham-spurs-usmnt-usa/

Who's Clint Dempsey?

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle216 on Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:03 pm

HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:

Who's Clint Dempsey?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Di8QT98Zk
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:41 am

Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby HustlinOwl on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:51 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:I know you hate soccer, and I know you're waging war against the federal government from your remote mountain shack, but as an American you should still know who Clint Dempsey is.

Is that kinda like I should know Angel McCoughtry?
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:01 am

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:I know you hate soccer, and I know you're waging war against the federal government from your remote mountain shack, but as an American you should still know who Clint Dempsey is.

Pretty much this.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:03 am

HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:

Is that kinda like I should know Angel McCoughtry?

No, it's more like being a pacifist but being aware of the name of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:14 pm

Roster for Bosnia friendly on Wed:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Cody Cropper (Southampton), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton)
DEFENDERS (7): John Anthony Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Michael Orozco Fiscal (Puebla), Michael Parkhurst (Augsburg), Tim Ream (Bolton Wanderers)
MIDFIELDERS (8): Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Roma), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Schalke), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Danny Williams (Reading)
FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders FC), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich) -

See more at: http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-Natio ... Q0fcr.dpuf

If JK were to make a starting XI with the better players, my guess:

---------Altidore---------------EJ-------------
-Corona----Bradley------Jones-----Bedoya-
-FJohnson--Brooks-----Cameron----Evans-
--------------------Howard--------------------

But I'm guessing JK will field a mixed lineup just to give players who haven't played in a long time some PT and to have a look at guys who've never played for USMNT before. No Chandler or Lichaj

EDIT: Orozco removed from roster due to injury, no replacement added.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:43 am

Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:42 pm

Jozy drops mic.

You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby HustlinOwl on Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:47 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:Jozy drops mic.

Obviously goals are good, but is there something special about that?
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:05 pm

HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:

I'm no expert, but he curved it over a wall and away from the keeper, from distance, without missing the net. Looks pretty ridiculous from where I am standing.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:20 pm

HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:

he's not particularly known for taking free kicks. and that was one of the 3 goals he scored today. they were all so well-placed, they were like precision guided munitions...too soon?
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:28 pm

it was filthy. great goal.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:24 am

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:
HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:

he's not particularly known for taking free kicks. and that was one of the 3 goals he scored today. they were all so well-placed, they were like precision guided munitions...too soon?

Between booing our anthem and the scattered monkey noises whenever EJ had the ball (not sure why he was considered "worthy" of them and Jozy, Jones, Brooks, and Howard didn't seem to be) I think the Bosnians need a lesson in gratitude, one JDAM at a time.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby EagleDave on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:16 am

For the last 45 minutes of that game Jozy either took on the shape of a unicorn or David Beckham or some combination of the two. He played completely out of his mind in that second half and that free kick was a thing of beauty. There has been nobody more critical of Altidore's inability to translate his club prowess to the international stage than me, but he's been unreal the last 5-6 matches for the US.

Also, as a side note, that was probably the best international win the US has had over a full strength side since they beat Italy in Milan a few years ago and maybe even Spain before that in the '09 Confed Cup. Making it more impressive is that they themselves were NOT at full strength and they did it on the road.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:41 am

I've said it once and I'll say it again, in retrospect, we should have let the Serbs completely have at those filthy Ottomans.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:44 am

Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle216 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:40 pm

Keep in mind the two Belgians are 6'4" and 6'5". For those that hate soccer, but love to gamble, Belgium would be a good sleeper bet for WC 14.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 am

eagle216 {l Wrote}:

Keep in mind the two Belgians are 6'4" and 6'5". For those that hate soccer, but love to gamble, Belgium would be a good sleeper bet for WC 14.

Because they are tall?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:17 am

I'm thinking that if you're looking for a true darkhorse to go deep at WC 14, the US would be the team high on your list right now.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:20 am

DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:08 pm

Yeah that dude is an idiot. Hope he sells and they move the team out of LA.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby EagleDave on Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:57 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'm thinking that if you're looking for a true darkhorse to go deep at WC 14, the US would be the team high on your list right now.

Correct. Which of course means that you can bet the farm they're getting drawn into the group of death next year with Brazil, Germany and Spain.

In all seriousness, depending on their draw, I could envision a scenario that would allow them to make a run to the semi-finals.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:08 pm

They are a little like BC basketball right now. So much potential to outscore the opponent, but zero intent to play defense. I like it. I hope they win every game 6-4.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:14 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'm thinking that if you're looking for a true darkhorse to go deep at WC 14, the US would be the team high on your list right now.

Correct. Which of course means that you can bet the farm they're getting drawn into the group of death next year with Brazil, Germany and Spain.

In all seriousness, depending on their draw, I could envision a scenario that would allow them to make a run to the semi-finals.

If we keep playing this well and Dempsey/Altidore are both in great form, then I would be shocked if we didn't. I really like our chances barring injury or a catastrophic draw. With the exception of Germany, i think going into any single match we have at least a good chance of winning.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:18 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:

If we keep playing this well and Dempsey/Altidore are both in great form, then I would be shocked if we didn't. I really like our chances barring injury or a catastrophic draw. With the exception of Germany, i think going into any single match we have at least a good chance of winning.

I think the keepaway teams like Spain would give them absolute fits.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Shea Field