Everything about Soccer Sucks

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:29 am

I actually wouldn't mind if they did away with Olympic boxing since the point system they use in lieu of judges (thanks South Korea!) has bastardized the event to the point where it's basically a clutchfest more resembling wrestling than actual boxing. It seems like there's at least one body slam per contest.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby basselope on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:05 pm

and it's ghey

basselope
Campion Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:31 pm

I wonder if it got its ghey on with rollerblading.

flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:09 pm

basselope {l Wrote}:and it's ghey

precedent set when mlb admitted bunts were ghey back in 2007, :lol:
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HustlinOwl on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:43 pm

Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:11 pm

Like any of us on this board have never considered doing this to Ron Cherry.

Gold Cup (North American championship) started last night.....Mexico lost to Panama, which is always fun, and Canada lost to someplace called Martinique--which I'm assured is actually a real place with real people living there
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:14 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:

Gold Cup (North American championship) started last night.....Mexico lost to Panama, which is always fun, and Canada lost to someplace called Martinique--which I'm assured is actually a real place with real people living there

If you had taken french in high school you would know its a real place. This is where you were told all the french went on vacation. It seems they are also good at football in addition to being disgustingly french
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:34 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

If you had taken french in high school you would know its a real place. This is where you were told all the french went on vacation. It seems they are also good at football in addition to being disgustingly french

They're not good, just good enough to beat Canada. And I took German and Mandarin in HS instead of French because I am not le ghey
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:08 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

They're not good, just good enough to beat Canada. And I took German and Mandarin in HS instead of French because I am not le ghey

1. How has Mexico's coach not been fired yet? (or was he fired and did I just miss it?) They're WC qualifier performance has been abysmal...
2. How did Canada, population 33million plus, ---lose to a Martinique, population 403,795 ?
3. I like Ron Cherry. He has no problem pointing out when one man gives another man the business. NTTAWWT
4. I did not French in high school but I did have a French girl (from paris) live with me the summer of junior year.
5. You could not pay me to play soccer in a South American country. It's always a bad sign when the referees are wielding pocket knifes during the game.

ANTI-HANSENPOST

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:12 am

hansen {l Wrote}:2. How did Canada, population 33million plus, ---lose to a Martinique, population 403,795 ?

it's tough to kick a ball while wearing skates
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:49 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
1. How has Mexico's coach not been fired yet? (or was he fired and did I just miss it?) They're WC qualifier performance has been abysmal...
2. How did Canada, population 33million plus, ---lose to a Martinique, population 403,795 ?
5. You could not pay me to play soccer in a South American country. It's always a bad sign when the referees are wielding pocket knifes during the game.

ANTI-HANSENPOST

1. he was on the bench last nite, mexican fans at the rose bowl were throwing bottles at him as he walked into the player tunnel, he basically said that is what happens when the team doesn't get the results the fans want. mexico has been on a downward spiral since they won the olympic gold medal. i just hope he isn't fired, it's hilarious watching mexico crash and burn repeatedly.

2. it's canada, always underperforming, nothing else needs to be said.

5. that story is disturbing.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle216 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:18 pm

How much of the mexico gold cup team is their A team? I know that US players that play in Europe are not playing so our team is considerable weak.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:17 am

according to wiki, none.

have to disagree with you about the US roster. Castillo, beasley, goodson, corona, diskerud, holden, torres, bedoya (ex-BC player), shea, gomez and donovan are all players who are usually in the mix for callups, or have been at one point.. beasley, gomez and donovan have seen heavy minutes in qualifying. this tournament, i believe, will allow the head coach to determine which players round out the squad when it comes to the qualifiers later this yr and for next yr's world cup. more than half the squad is determined, i'm guessing. it's not necessarily weak, plenty of good players on this roster.

and btw, re: Tim Cahill, class player. a little old, but definitely a team leader.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:36 am

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:5. that story is disturbing.

The video linked in it is even more disturbing. Even Philadelphia Eagles fans have never done anything like that, and that's saying something.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:23 am

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:beasley, gomez and donovan have seen heavy minutes in qualifying.

not lately for gomez and donovan. and were it not for injuries to cherundolo and chandler, beasley would be back on the scrap heap where he belongs.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:11 am

Donovan was in the Klinsman's doghouse. He wasn't being ignored because of his play. And Klinsman clearly likes Gomez, he just like Altidore better (and rightly so now that a combination of Bradley being replaced by an offensive minded coach and a good season in Holland or wherever have gotten him on a scoring roll).

I would be shocked if Donovan is left off of future rosters, and I would be willing to bet that, barring some revelation between now and Brazil, Gomez is on the bench for the World Cup as a late striker sub.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:12 am

Donovan should be starting at left mid, with Fabian Johnson shifted to left back. Donovan still has something to offer.

Beasley would serve as good cover at left back and he earned a place by playing well at the Azteca.

Prior to Jozy finding good form, Gomez was the starter up top. And Eddie Johnson will be selected as well, they both provide great depth.

I think Dolo is too old, he's decent though and has been serviceable for a long time. Just not sure if he has enough left, maybe start Geoff Cameron, even though he looked great in central midfield alongside Bradley.

In Chandler's first real start in qualifying, he showed that he was not up to snuff in Honduras. He's gotta work some stuff out.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:17 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Donovan was in the Klinsman's doghouse. He wasn't being ignored because of his play. And Klinsman clearly likes Gomez, he just like Altidore better (and rightly so now that a combination of Bradley being replaced by an offensive minded coach and a good season in Holland or wherever have gotten him on a scoring roll).

I would be shocked if Donovan is left off of future rosters, and I would be willing to bet that, barring some revelation between now and Brazil, Gomez is on the bench for the World Cup as a late striker sub.

I don't disagree necessarily. Just pointing out that Donovan and Gomez haven't gotten any run lately.

Donovan will be on the team and starting in Brazil, as he should be. He is the most-talented US field player of all time. It would have been interesting to see what he would have accomplished if he had even half of Dempsey's drive and will power. I expect he will play outside mid and take the role that Eddie Johnson has playing lately. Eddie has been decent, but his two-way game is horrid.

Gomez may well make the team as a sub given the lack of credible scoring threats at the forward position behind Altidore. But as for Beasley, I think that Johnson, Chandler and Cameron are all more appealing outside back options (assuming that Klinsman stays committed to Besler and Gonzalez at center back). I would also take Cherundolo over Beasley solely for his experience.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:28 am

Once we've got qualification wrapped up I'd like to see if either Jones or Edu can play RB. Crazy idea out of left field since I don't think either has ever played the position before, but both have the skill set and the physical and mental tools to play there, and it's a way to get a quality player on the field who otherwise would be at risk of dropping out of the starting 11 (Jones) or out of the 23 altogether (Edu). Maybe neither of them can adjust to the position but after we get qualification secured why not find out? Also, if you've got both Edu and Cameron on the roster then you can probably get away with bringing only 3 dedicated CBs, which will free up a spot elsewhere.

See if Edu or Jones can take care of the RB problem (or better yet both, with one backing up the other while also providing cover elsewhere), if one or both of them can and if Shea can get back into gear in Stoke then we're in business. Bradley/Cameron in central midfield with Donovan and Shea on the wings, Dempsey behind Altidore up top.

One thing for sure, this team will have more depth than any previous US World Cup team. If everyone's healthy there's going to be at least one guy who you could make a rational case should start at his position, who won't even be in the 23.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:32 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
Donovan will be on the team and starting in Brazil, as he should be. He is the most-talented US field player of all time. It would have been interesting to see what he would have accomplished if he had even half of Dempsey's drive and will power. I expect he will play outside mid and take the role that Eddie Johnson has playing lately. Eddie has been decent, but his two-way game is horrid.

Gomez may well make the team as a sub given the lack of credible scoring threats at the forward position behind Altidore. But as for Beasley, I think that Johnson, Chandler and Cameron are all more appealing outside back options (assuming that Klinsman stays committed to Besler and Gonzalez at center back). I would also take Cherundolo over Beasley solely for his experience.

Any time he tried to giving it a shot in Europe, he's been slightly above average at best, Leverkusen, Bayern and Everton. I just think he doesn't like to be on a club team where there is endless pressure to perform at a high level consistently.

Dolo and Beas play different positions. Depth chart at LB is most likely Fabian Johnson, Beasley and Castillo. At RB, it's pretty wide open with Dolo returning from injury and Chandler not getting a sniff for several months.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:33 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Donovan was in the Klinsman's doghouse. He wasn't being ignored because of his play. And Klinsman clearly likes Gomez, he just like Altidore better (and rightly so now that a combination of Bradley being replaced by an offensive minded coach and a good season in Holland or wherever have gotten him on a scoring roll).

I don't disagree necessarily. Just pointing out that Donovan and Gomez haven't gotten any run lately.

Fair enough. I am not expecting Gomez to start, but he has some ability to score quickly, so would make a good bench sub. I really wish this team had Davies pre-accident, they could be very good with another scorer. Having to use Dempsey as a quasi-forward is effective, but not ideal. It is kind of unbelievable how few decent strikers the US has produced over the past 15-20 years.

I think Donovan will be starting in Brazil, but his style of play isn't perfect for Klinsman's offensive philosophy. Right now, Dempsey and Bradley are the two best players in the pool other than Howard. Altidore has shown he is a really good fit. If Donovan is all in, that's a pretty dangerous front group, even if the other midfielder ends up being someone like Jones. It's unfortunately that the other Mexican kid - Torres - hasn't been playing as well lately, because I like his game.

The big question marks in the qualifiers recently have been the 4 in front of Howard. I don't know enough about most of these guys outside of the national team game play to know if it is a talent deficiency, roster choices, or a result of the more aggressive midfield/attacking play, but they haven't been great. Other than Goodson, who is going to replace the Cherundulos and Bocanegros and Oneyewus?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:49 am

This is the best I've felt about the US men's team in a long time.

Klinsmann should have been hired in 06 when he first wanted the job. Bob Bradley was the Frank Spaziani of soccer. he never felt the u.s. could compete with the top teams so we played a boring conservative style. klinnsmann wants the u.s. to always play the beat teams and he expects t he U.S. to win. The U.S. is playing much more exciting soccer and I expect the results will continue to follow as a result. In a country of 300 million people, which is becoming heavily Latino, with a high GDP capita, and where almost everyone plays for at least a couple of years as a kid, there is no reason we cannot be a top 10 team or better year after year.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:55 am

hansen {l Wrote}:This is the best I've felt about the US men's team in a long time.

Klinsmann should have been hired in 06 when he first wanted the job. Bob Bradley was the Frank Spaziani of soccer. he never felt the u.s. could compete with the top teams so we played a boring conservative style. klinnsmann wants the u.s. to always play the beat teams and he expects t he U.S. to win. The U.S. is playing much more exciting soccer and I expect the results will continue to follow as a result. In a country of 300 million people, which is becoming heavily Latino, with a high GDP capita, and where almost everyone plays for at least a couple of years as a kid, there is no reason we cannot be a top 10 team or better year after year.

The Bradley comparison to Spaz is decent. In fairness, however, I believe that what Bradley thought was that the US couldn't score with the top teams, but was perfectly capable of defending them. He was probably right to some extent, but we never knew because the US packed it in and never tried to score except on set pieces or when down a couple goals. I think of him more as TOB, with Klinsman as Jags.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 0J1969 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:24 pm

Soccer is gay and anyone that pretends to like it is gayer.
0J1969
n00b

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:31 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

Fair enough. I am not expecting Gomez to start, but he has some ability to score quickly, so would make a good bench sub. I really wish this team had Davies pre-accident, they could be very good with another scorer. Having to use Dempsey as a quasi-forward is effective, but not ideal. It is kind of unbelievable how few decent strikers the US has produced over the past 15-20 years.

I think Donovan will be starting in Brazil, but his style of play isn't perfect for Klinsman's offensive philosophy. Right now, Dempsey and Bradley are the two best players in the pool other than Howard. Altidore has shown he is a really good fit. If Donovan is all in, that's a pretty dangerous front group, even if the other midfielder ends up being someone like Jones. It's unfortunately that the other Mexican kid - Torres - hasn't been playing as well lately, because I like his game.

The big question marks in the qualifiers recently have been the 4 in front of Howard. I don't know enough about most of these guys outside of the national team game play to know if it is a talent deficiency, roster choices, or a result of the more aggressive midfield/attacking play, but they haven't been great. Other than Goodson, who is going to replace the Cherundulos and Bocanegros and Oneyewus?

For the first time in as long as can remember (going back to Paul Caligiuri and the Shot Heard Round the Word in Port of Spain), I am more concerned about the US defense than about the goal scoring.

I think Besler and Gonzalez have tons of potential, but lack experience at the highest international level. If this is JK's favored central pairing, then they should play every minute in qualifying and all tune up games before June 2014. Goodson is limited physically in speed and strength and I don't think JK wants to count on him at all. Onyewu can still play, but he has lost a step and his touch/distribution are still mainly putrid, which is why he is not a JK favorite.

Outside back seems much more in flux, and I think that JK really wants to use athletic, two way players with speed. Johnson is my favorite at left back and Chandler is my favorite at right back. But, they both lack experience as well. So, it would be best if they could get as many minutes as possible to gel with the centerbacks. Cherundolo is very old and has lost more than a step, but still sees the game and reacts as well as any outside back we have had in a long time. I personally think Beasley is absolutely terrible and should never see the field. But hey, I also felt the same way about Carlos Bocanegra ever since he uncessarily kicked a ball back into the penalty area to give up a crucial goal to Ghana in stoppage time back on June 22, 2006 instead of simply pushing the ball out of bounds(go to 1:20 of the clip):

Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:33 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:This is the best I've felt about the US men's team in a long time.

The Bradley comparison to Spaz is decent. In fairness, however, I believe that what Bradley thought was that the US couldn't score with the top teams, but was perfectly capable of defending them. He was probably right to some extent, but we never knew because the US packed it in and never tried to score except on set pieces or when down a couple goals. I think of him more as TOB, with Klinsman as Jags.

Meh, Bradley did well enough at the 2009 confederations cup and got the US through to the second round of a World Cup final. Spaz bought sandwhiches, threw BC guys under the bus and destroyed our beloved program. I don't care for the comparison.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:49 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

For the first time in as long as can remember (going back to Paul Caligiuri and the Shot Heard Round the Word in Port of Spain), I am more concerned about the US defense than about the goal scoring.

I think Besler and Gonzalez have tons of potential, but lack experience at the highest international level. If this is JK's favored central pairing, then they should play every minute in qualifying and all tune up games before June 2014. Goodson is limited physically in speed and strength and I don't think JK wants to count on him at all. Onyewu can still play, but he has lost a step and his touch/distribution are still mainly putrid, which is why he is not a JK favorite.

Outside back seems much more in flux, and I think that JK really wants to use athletic, two way players with speed. Johnson is my favorite at left back and Chandler is my favorite at right back. But, they both lack experience as well. So, it would be best if they could get as many minutes as possible to gel with the centerbacks. Cherundolo is very old and has lost more than a step, but still sees the game and reacts as well as any outside back we have had in a long time. I personally think Beasley is absolutely terrible and should never see the field. But hey, I also felt the same way about Carlos Bocanegra ever since he uncessarily kicked a ball back into the penalty area to give up a crucial goal to Ghana in stoppage time back on June 22, 2006 instead of simply pushing the ball out of bounds(go to 1:20 of the clip):

Goodson needs to be on the roster, even if he doesn't start, because he is a threat in the box on corners. I am not sold on what I have seen of Gonzalez. Fabian Johnson will be in the starting lineup somewhere - hasn't he been playing a little in the midfield lately? I seem to recall him setting up one of Dempsey's recent goals with a sweet pass.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:00 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Charlie was on an upward trajectory, then he made a bad decision and hasn't recovered his form since.

The back line has slowly evolved from the bruiser who is pretty much dominant in the air, but deficient with the ball at their feet. Gonzalez and Besler are decent enough, their passing isn't as horrific as Boca's Gooch's or Goodson's. But past that, it's pretty thin back there. At wide back there are some choices and some stop gaps.

Most of the Latinos, due to Bradley and Arena were largely ignored for the better part of a decade. It's been largely Klinsmann who has been responsible for casting a wider net reeling in German-Americans reared overseas in Europe or Mexican-Americans who've had the option for playing for the parent's homeland. This Gold Cup roster is a reflection of that mentality, at least with the Mexican-Americans.

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
We looked pretty fucking good in the Confed Cup in 09 .

I didn't mind Bradley's tactics cuz it usually emphasizes the characteristics of most American players, defend and spring the counter with speed. Glad that we are moving away from using the back to goal striker. The McBride era is over.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:26 pm

I think the "Bradley and Arena ignored Hispanic guys" thing is kinda overblown. Torres, Orozco-Fiscal, and Castillo all got their first caps under Bradley, and Corona was just 21 when Klinsmann took over the team (and hadn't yet committed to playing for the US over Mexico and El Salvador). It's also worth noting that none of those guys are anything special--Castillo is probably the only one with anything more than a remote chance to make the World Cup team, and that's more due to lack of depth at his positions than anything else--and Orozco is downright awful. Jurgen's influence has definitely been more pronounced with the German-American contingent but again Jones got his first cap under Bradley (probably would have been in South Africa if he hadn't gotten hurt) and other than Johnson none of the other guys have really established themselves in the team.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:43 pm

look at the youth team rosters from the u17 and u20 teams, al. HEAVILY mexican-american.

Tonite's lineup:

---------Wondo--------------Donovan---------
---Torres---------Mix-------------Corona-----
-----------The Fucking Hippie----------------
-Beasley-----Orozco-----Goodson--Parkurst-
-------------------Rimando---------------------

Gooch and Gomez not getting the start tonite due to Jeld-Wen's turf field and both suffering knee injuries recently.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Shea Field