Everything about Soccer Sucks

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Wed May 22, 2013 3:36 am

Nickerson is too small....if they modernized Harvard Stadium a bit it'd be perfect in every way for the Revs, IMO.

MF73, you ready to see your boys turn into the Islanders of MLS??
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed May 22, 2013 10:57 am

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:Nickerson is too small....if they modernized Harvard Stadium a bit it'd be perfect in every way for the Revs, IMO.

Isn't every MLS team supposed to have its own soccer-only stadium by some deadline?
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Wed May 22, 2013 11:48 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:Nickerson is too small....if they modernized Harvard Stadium a bit it'd be perfect in every way for the Revs, IMO.

Isn't every MLS team supposed to have its own soccer-only stadium by some deadline?

I never realized a vast majority of teams already have them (14/19).
I also didn't realize that MLS avg attendance is higher than those in brazil and argentina.

however, i could not find an answer to your question.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed May 22, 2013 5:17 pm

first off alex, they spend a shit load of money and its facility is high-end, something the isles don't do. cosmos may end up being like the isles.

hansen {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Isn't every MLS team supposed to have its own soccer-only stadium by some deadline?

I never realized a vast majority of teams already have them (14/19).
I also didn't realize that MLS avg attendance is higher than those in brazil and argentina.

however, i could not find an answer to your question.

7th highest attended league in the world or something. but that's tickets distributed/sold, not actual people in seats.

Seattle plays at Qwest, or whatever it's called these days. Their owner owns Microsoft, they haven't told him to build a stadium, even though they play on turf, 37k every home game.

Montreal plays a few of its games at the Olympic Stadium, while the rest are played at a 20k seater next door (summer months).

San Jose is building an 18k one.

Vancouver plays at BC Place after they renovated it.

But yeah, most teams enter the league with a dedicated facility or are in the process of building one. Only DC and New England play in NFL sized stadiums, and their fan bases have shrunk as a result.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Thu May 23, 2013 1:15 am

I actually kinda like RFK, but then again I liked the Vet
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:47 am

I didn't know that arresting someone was standard protocol before awarding them the Congressional Medal of Honor.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1478796/driver-arrested-death-man-struck-dribbling-soccer-ball?cc=5901
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby The Knife of Asia on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:10 am

The only good thing about soccer is that scoring is rare and is a big deal... Thats pretty cool. The rest of it can be boring, drawn out, and the flopping is awful. There is more excitement in a couple minutes of a hockey game than there are exciting moments in an entire soccer game.
The Knife of Asia
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle216 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:10 pm

I am late to this thread, but as my avatar shows, I am a soccer fan. I also still play.

Tonto's points are well made, but he is clueless if he thinks soccer is less tactical/strategic than hockey. He thinks its just "random" because he doesn't understand it. He subscribes more purposefulness to hockey because he understands that sport better, and therefore, can see through its randomness. Such is normal, since, as an American, he should know more about hockey than soccer. Is soccer as scripted as football and baseball, of course not, but its way more so than it would appear to a novice. This is really part of the problem some Americans have with it. They just don't have enough experience with it to see what is really going on. For this same reason, I can not watch more than 2 minutes of rugby without blowing my brains out. I simply have no idea what the fuck is happening. Tactics is soccer live within an environment that is more fluid and spontaneous than other sports. As such, they are harder to discern to the new follower. They also don't get "reset" in the way they do with football and baseball, and to a lesser extent, with basketball. Its this reseting of play that permits these other sports to appear less random.

One of the funniest experiences I have had roughly on this topic was following live a Super Bowl thread on my favorite Everton fan site. Being an oldish law talking guy with the wife and two kids, lets say SB sunday is usually me on the coach pulling an Al Bundy. Watching the game while reading a running commentary from a bunch of Brits was classic.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:14 pm

eagle216 {l Wrote}:Being an oldish law talking guy with the wife and two kids, lets say SB sunday is usually me on the coach pulling an Al Bundy.

Do you keep a hand down the front of your pants? My wife frowns upon this in front of the children.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:22 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
eagle216 {l Wrote}:Being an oldish law talking guy with the wife and two kids, lets say SB sunday is usually me on the coach pulling an Al Bundy.

Do you keep a hand down the front of your pants? My wife frowns upon this in front of the children.

that's only because she wears the pants in the family...
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby talon on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:24 pm

I'll watch EPL/Champions League if the match interests me, or if there are Americans involved, but I don't know how Americans who never lived abroad can really claim to be a supporter of a squad. Red Sox fans who feel compelled to become Liverpool fans just because they share the same ownership should be flayed, unless they're suddenly equally as passionate about Greg Biffle, Ricky Stenhouse Jr or Carl Edwards.

But I love World Cup soccer. US vs Costa Rica plays the same time as BC/WF in September. Hopefully, I'm watching two TVs that night because I'm probably just as invested in the outcome of both.

My biggest soccer question, however, is this: Are there medals or cash prizes awarded to people who go out of their way to bash soccer? Don't like it, don't watch it. I just never understand why people feel compelled to repeatedly tell the world how much they don't like soccer.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:28 pm

talon {l Wrote}:I'll watch EPL/Champions League if the match interests me, or if there are Americans involved, but I don't know how Americans who never lived abroad can really claim to be a supporter of a squad. Red Sox fans who feel compelled to become Liverpool fans just because they share the same ownership should be flayed, unless they're suddenly equally as passionate about Greg Biffle, Ricky Stenhouse Jr or Carl Edwards.

But I love World Cup soccer. US vs Costa Rica plays the same time as BC/WF in September. Hopefully, I'm watching two TVs that night because I'm probably just as invested in the outcome of both.

My biggest soccer question, however, is this: Are there medals or cash prizes awarded to people who go out of their way to bash soccer? Don't like it, don't watch it. I just never understand why people feel compelled to repeatedly tell the world how much they don't like soccer.

I don't watch Champions League anymore, but the rest of your post: :kudos
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:29 pm

talon {l Wrote}:I'll watch EPL/Champions League if the match interests me, or if there are Americans involved, but I don't know how Americans who never lived abroad can really claim to be a supporter of a squad. Red Sox fans who feel compelled to become Liverpool fans just because they share the same ownership should be flayed, unless they're suddenly equally as passionate about Greg Biffle, Ricky Stenhouse Jr or Carl Edwards.

I think the answer to your question is in your post. Frankly the game is mediocre, but I will root for Americans in anything. Especially now that Klinsman has taught the Bradley disciples this little thing called "scoring".
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:59 pm

It's largely the same way people from random places in the states become fans of American sports teams. You watch games, find a few players you like, find a team's style of play you like, read up on history, whatever. It's not like New Mexico should be beholden to the Diamondbacks or one of the Texas teams because of geography.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:08 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

It's largely the same way people from random places in the states become fans of American sports teams. You watch games, find a few players you like, find a team's style of play you like, read up on history, whatever. It's not like New Mexico should be beholden to the Diamondbacks or one of the Texas teams because of geography.

In theory, I support rooting for whomever you want, but I get really annoyed when I see Massholes in Tar Heels gear at Conte for BC-UNC games.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:15 pm

That just goes to the fact that there are douches in this world and rooting interests often times make it easier to identify them.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby HustlinOwl on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:18 pm

eagle216 {l Wrote}:I am late to this thread, but as my avatar shows, I am a soccer fan. I also still play.

Tonto's points are well made, but he is clueless if he thinks soccer is less tactical/strategic than hockey. He thinks its just "random" because he doesn't understand it. He subscribes more purposefulness to hockey because he understands that sport better, and therefore, can see through its randomness. Such is normal, since, as an American, he should know more about hockey than soccer. Is soccer as scripted as football and baseball, of course not, but its way more so than it would appear to a novice. This is really part of the problem some Americans have with it. They just don't have enough experience with it to see what is really going on. For this same reason, I can not watch more than 2 minutes of rugby without blowing my brains out. I simply have no idea what the fuck is happening. Tactics is soccer live within an environment that is more fluid and spontaneous than other sports. As such, they are harder to discern to the new follower. They also don't get "reset" in the way they do with football and baseball, and to a lesser extent, with basketball. Its this reseting of play that permits these other sports to appear less random.

One of the funniest experiences I have had roughly on this topic was following live a Super Bowl thread on my favorite Everton fan site. Being an oldish law talking guy with the wife and two kids, lets say SB sunday is usually me on the coach pulling an Al Bundy. Watching the game while reading a running commentary from a bunch of Brits was classic.

Soccer sucks. I watched the Life University vs St Mary's championship rugby match and was thoroughly entertained, even though I had no idea what was going on.
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby talon on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:36 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:It's not like New Mexico should be beholden to the Diamondbacks or one of the Texas teams because of geography.

Well, if local TV stations in New Mexico are showing a lot of Diamondbacks or Rangers or Rockies or Astros games, it makes sense that people in New Mexico would be more likely to follow one of those teams because they're on TV all the time.

Or if Albuquerque Isotopes were a big thing and that led people to care about the Dodgers, that also makes sense (although minor league teams change affiliations so I wouldn't expect there to be that tight of a connection).
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:20 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:It's not like New Mexico should be beholden to the Diamondbacks or one of the Texas teams because of geography.

Well, if local TV stations in New Mexico are showing a lot of Diamondbacks or Rangers or Rockies or Astros games, it makes sense that people in New Mexico would be more likely to follow one of those teams because they're on TV all the time.

Or if Albuquerque Isotopes were a big thing and that led people to care about the Dodgers, that also makes sense (although minor league teams change affiliations so I wouldn't expect there to be that tight of a connection).

You just answered your own question as to how many people support European teams.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle216 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:30 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

You just answered your own question as to how many people support European teams.

The 4 major European leagues are miles ahead of MLS. Especially with regards to the PL, they are on tv a lot in the USA. As such, its only natural for Americans to become fans of certain teams. And its not just us, its worldwide. In nearly every country in the world, these 4 major leagues are popular to some degree or another. People from other countries that like football, baseball, basketball generally like American teams for the same reasons everyone likes the European teams.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby talon on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:31 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

Which European teams have minor league teams in the States?

Which American TV markets exclusively show all of 1 European club's games?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:36 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

Which European teams have minor league teams in the States?

Which American TV markets exclusively show all of 1 European club's games?

Christ you're retarded. Certain teams are on TV more often than others. People who want to get interested in soccer watch those teams play more frequently. These people gain an attachment to these teams. These teams with already large fan bases grow basically due to popularity and ease of access. Hello ManU, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Barca, Madrid and Liverpool!

Edit: What the Everton fan said upthread. I'm not making any comment on minor leagues as that dynamic is significantly different in US sports than it is for Euro soccer.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:46 pm

Tonto's analysis was great and incredibly accurate if he was describing his 5 year old kid's youth soccer league. But watch Barcelona play and tell me that shit is random. Note: I refuse to say "Barca" like Philly does because that is just ridiculous and even they would say "Bartha" because, well, Spaniards. Soccer may look random at times, but I would guess that this is due to the fact that it is very hard to run and kick things at the same time.

eagle216 {l Wrote}:I can not watch more than 2 minutes of rugby without blowing my brains out. I simply have no idea what the fuck is happening.

Typical attitude from a guy who hails from a second-rate city which is why you root for a second-rate city's second-rate soccer team (trying not to rocketcar you). I kid, I kid. It's basically football but there are no downs so you decide if/when you want to punt. TOB is probably a huge rugby fan because of it.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:49 pm

talon {l Wrote}:My biggest soccer question, however, is this: Are there medals or cash prizes awarded to people who go out of their way to bash soccer? Don't like it, don't watch it. I just never understand why people feel compelled to repeatedly tell the world how much they don't like soccer.

It reminds me of the posters who consistently go to the skank threads to tell everyone why they are not attracted to any of the skanks.
Last edited by Endless Mike on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby talon on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:01 pm

I'm not doubting that certain teams get more TV time. But they're not on TV all the time.

If you live in New Mexico, it's not like you see the Diamondbacks or Rockies more frequently than other teams, you'll see all the games for those teams (depending on if you're in the FSN Arizona or Root Sports coverage area). It's not like New Mexicans just have to rely on national ESPN coverage, they still have their own regional affiliations.

Rooting for teams just because they're on TV semi-frequently is not a valid reason to root for a team. It's essentially a quasi-loophole to avoid actually admitting that you picked a team just because they're good.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle216 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:02 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:Tonto's analysis was great and incredibly accurate if he was describing his 5 year old kid's youth soccer league. But watch Barcelona play and tell me that shit is random. Note: I refuse to say "Barca" like Philly does because that is just ridiculous and even they would say "Bartha" because, well, Spaniards. Soccer may look random at times, but I would guess that this is due to the fact that it is very hard to run and kick things at the same time.

eagle216 {l Wrote}:I can not watch more than 2 minutes of rugby without blowing my brains out. I simply have no idea what the fuck is happening.

Typical attitude from a guy who hails from a second-rate city which is why you root for a second-rate city's second-rate soccer team (trying not to rocketcar you). I kid, I kid. It's basically football but there are no downs so you decide if/when you want to punt. TOB is probably a huge rugby fan because of it.

Good point on Barcelona and the lack of randomness. Ironically, their success (and that of the Spanish national team, which is heavily influenced by it) is a trend that I don't approve of as a fan and player, and as such, I was glad to see them get dick slapped by Bayern. Their play is so utterly and completely NOT random, and their execution of it so exquisite, that it greatly slowed the game down to what seemed at times to be one giant NBA half court possession without a shot clock. The opposition was usually so inadequate at winning the ball back, and so fearful of being caught out of position, that they just sat and defended passively, and hoped for a 1-0 win with a goal on a counter or set piece. Chasing Barcelona just caused you to get tired, be overextended, and do exactly what they want you to do - compromise you team shape so as to create a goal scoring opening. So teams stopped chasing - realizing that ball possession stats are merely soccer's equivalent to TOB's time of possession.

Bayern said fuck sitting back, and showed that exceptional size, strength, speed and athletism, along with technical ability on the side, can overrun and smoother Barcelona. All sports are plagued by copycats. I would much rather world football copy Bayern (speed, size, strong tackling, agressive up-the-pitch attacking with the ball, agressive closing without the ball, etc) than Barcelona.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby eagle216 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:10 pm

talon {l Wrote}:I'm not doubting that certain teams get more TV time. But they're not on TV all the time.

If you live in New Mexico, it's not like you see the Diamondbacks or Rockies more frequently than other teams, you'll see all the games for those teams (depending on if you're in the FSN Arizona or Root Sports coverage area). It's not like New Mexicans just have to rely on national ESPN coverage, they still have their own regional affiliations.

Rooting for teams just because they're on TV semi-frequently is not a valid reason to root for a team. It's essentially a quasi-loophole to avoid actually admitting that you picked a team just because they're good.

To me, rooting for a team is an emotional thing, not rooted in logic. For instance, I am a fan of both the Giants and Jets. I totally get how uber ghey this is, and will gladly receive any and all snark it deserves. But since I was a little kid, I have just loved both teams, and I can't change it now just because the logically side of my brain says that it is stupid. I initially got into Everton when Brian McBride played for them, and I just fell in love with them. Logic had nothing to do with it. There is a reason why Angry Dick's daughter fell in love with the Guatamalan pool boy instead of Pemberton Jr. (oops, this hasn't happened yet - I need to stay away from my time machine). But at the same time I get that I just won't have the same experience with Everton that a Merseysider will. Its the same reason why a Goteborg native can't possibly understand the New York Rangers the same way I do. This doesn't make us any less of a fan - just different.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby HustlinOwl on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:18 pm

eagle216 {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:Tonto's analysis was great and incredibly accurate if he was describing his 5 year old kid's youth soccer league. But watch Barcelona play and tell me that shit is random. Note: I refuse to say "Barca" like Philly does because that is just ridiculous and even they would say "Bartha" because, well, Spaniards. Soccer may look random at times, but I would guess that this is due to the fact that it is very hard to run and kick things at the same time.

Good point on Barcelona and the lack of randomness. Ironically, their success (and that of the Spanish national team, which is heavily influenced by it) is a trend that I don't approve of as a fan and player, and as such, I was glad to see them get dick slapped by Bayern. Their play is so utterly and completely NOT random, and their execution of it so exquisite, that it greatly slowed the game down to what seemed at times to be one giant NBA half court possession without a shot clock. The opposition was usually so inadequate at winning the ball back, and so fearful of being caught out of position, that they just sat and defended passively, and hoped for a 1-0 win with a goal on a counter or set piece. Chasing Barcelona just caused you to get tired, be overextended, and do exactly what they want you to do - compromise you team shape so as to create a goal scoring opening. So teams stopped chasing - realizing that ball possession stats are merely soccer's equivalent to TOB's time of possession.

Bayern said fuck sitting back, and showed that exceptional size, strength, speed and athletism, along with technical ability on the side, can overrun and smoother Barcelona. All sports are plagued by copycats. I would much rather world football copy Bayern (speed, size, strong tackling, agressive up-the-pitch attacking with the ball, agressive closing without the ball, etc) than Barcelona.

Strong tackling?
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby talon on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:24 pm

I'm just saying that if I grew up in New Mexico and Rockies games were ALWAYS on TV, I would root for the Rockies. If my friend rooted for a northeastern team just because ESPN shows them a lot, I'd be well within my rights to mercilessly call him a front-runner.

That being said, if the EPL somehow divvied up the US tv-markets so that certain US cities got to see all of a specific EPL's games, then US fans rooting for EPL teams would make sense.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:30 pm

Arguing the relative merits of ones fandom, especially when you have zero regional or personal connection, is a dumb and fruitless exercise. There's a reason one of the Toucher & Rich make fun of the "I'm a better fan than you" thing on the lead-in from their breaks.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Shea Field