Everything about Soccer Sucks

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Everything about Soccer Sucks

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:07 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:see you fuTb0l w3ird0z in 4 years

Now that this is over, can we start 10-2 season?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:16 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

The next 3.5 years are 1-1-1 season.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:21 am

i think it's still shirtless boy season for another 6 weeks. 10-2 season usually doesn't start until mid august
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:29 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

i think it's still shirtless boy season for another 6 weeks. 10-2 season usually doesn't start until mid august

When does 6-7 season start?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:32 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

either halftime of the first game or halftime of the first acc game. depends on whether the "bc season 1" daz shows up or the "temple season 2" daz shows up
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:38 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

either halftime of the first game or halftime of the first acc game. depends on whether the "bc season 1" daz shows up or the "temple season 2" daz shows up

For reference, read the 2013 Villanova game thread. #BeADud
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:05 am

You can start it whenever you want, gor-DON.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby HustlinOwl on Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:32 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

You can start it whenever you want, gor-DON.

Please don't ruin this awful thread with something that might be funny and/or important.
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:50 am

Soccer is without a doubt the worst sport to watch. Now that 'Murica is out, soccer can crawl back in its hole for another 4 years. I feel bad for the guys who have to carry off the 'mos who act like they've been shot, only to watch them run back on the field a minute later like they're Willis Reed, or whoever that NY Knick guy was. I'm not sure if I hate soccer, but I know I hate the players.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:49 am

From what I watch, soccer can be decent when it is aggressive and teams are trying to score. Think of Portugal early against the US or the end of a game where a team is down 1-0 and needs to take chances. outside of that, it is awful. The knockout round and playing for a shootout is awful.

I have seen 2 Championships decided by shootouts. That is a joke. Imagine the Stanley Cup game 7 decided on a shoot out. Play sudden death and get it over with.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:02 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:... sudden death ...

in soccer they call it "golden goal." i assume they do that because it sounds WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY gayer
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle216 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:09 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:From what I watch, soccer can be decent when it is aggressive and teams are trying to score. Think of Portugal early against the US or the end of a game where a team is down 1-0 and needs to take chances. outside of that, it is awful. The knockout round and playing for a shootout is awful.

I have seen 2 Championships decided by shootouts. That is a joke. Imagine the Stanley Cup game 7 decided on a shoot out. Play sudden death and get it over with.

Extra time should be sudden death, like they used to do it (google "golden goal"). The worst will be if in the WC Final, both teams score in extra time, forcing a shootout.

That being said, there is simply no other solution other than to get to PKs at some point in a knockout format. Making it sudden death all the way like the NHL will lead to a game going on more or less forever at some point. While the wow factor of this may be cool to certain fans, once must realize that these players really owe their loyalty to their club teams, as this is where the real money is made. Having players play 6 hour games is not going to go over to well in this regard.

The popularity of the sport worldwide can not be overstated. The WC Final will dwarf the SB in ratings, for instance. Hard to argue against what they are doing.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:21 am

eagle216 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:From what I watch, soccer can be decent when it is aggressive and teams are trying to score. Think of Portugal early against the US or the end of a game where a team is down 1-0 and needs to take chances. outside of that, it is awful. The knockout round and playing for a shootout is awful.

Extra time should be sudden death, like they used to do it (google "golden goal"). The worst will be if in the WC Final, both teams score in extra time, forcing a shootout.

That being said, there is simply no other solution other than to get to PKs at some point in a knockout format. Making it sudden death all the way like the NHL will lead to a game going on more or less forever at some point. While the wow factor of this may be cool to certain fans, once must realize that these players really owe their loyalty to their club teams, as this is where the real money is made. Having players play 6 hour games is not going to go over to well in this regard.

The popularity of the sport worldwide can not be overstated. The WC Final will dwarf the SB in ratings, for instance. Hard to argue against what they are doing.

Worldwide it may get better ratings, but not even close in the US, which is where most of the money is. Why not take a player off each team every 15m until it gets down to 7 on 7.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:26 am

To further DE's point, the Olympics and WC get twice to three times as many viewers (when you ignore FIFA's idiotic numbers and take independent sources) and half as much money.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:04 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:To further DE's point, the Olympics and WC get twice to three times as many viewers (when you ignore FIFA's idiotic numbers and take independent sources) and half as much money.

When FIFA can charge $4 million for 30 seconds worth of ad time, I will consider it as important.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:24 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
eagle216 {l Wrote}:

Worldwide it may get better ratings, but not even close in the US, which is where most of the money is. Why not take a player off each team every 15m until it gets down to 7 on 7.

The same reason the NHL doesn't do it after a couple of OTs. Plus taking a guy off the field wouldn't make up for the fact that most of the players have been running around for over 2 hours. If you think soccer is boring normally, I can only imagine what you'd think when you see guys cramp up and get attended to every 10 seconds because the game hasn't ended.

Regarding ad time, comparing the SB to the WC is useless since a soccer match will only have like 4 ads during the whole thing, all during halftime.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby HustlinOwl on Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:01 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
eagle216 {l Wrote}:

The same reason the NHL doesn't do it after a couple of OTs. Plus taking a guy off the field wouldn't make up for the fact that most of the players have been running around for over 2 hours. If you think soccer is boring normally, I can only imagine what you'd think when you see guys cramp up and get attended to every 10 seconds because the game hasn't ended.

Regarding ad time, comparing the SB to the WC is useless since a soccer match will only have like 4 ads during the whole thing, all during halftime.

I was under the impression about half the roster never sees the field(or pitch or whatever). Three subs sounds kind of dumb with a 20+man roster.
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:25 pm

They do with injuries and suspensions. A quick look over the roster shows that I think only one non-keeper didn't get in any game. The rules also stipulate that you have to carry three keepers so it's really a 17 man roster for 10 outfield spots.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:33 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Regarding ad time, comparing the SB to the WC is useless since a soccer match will only have like 4 ads during the whole thing, all during halftime.

Sort of. There are ads all over the pre- and post- game, and in fact during the entire game. McDonald's for one, had Golden Arches pop up on the score box routinely. The lack of comparable ad revenue has a lot to do with the fact that the US audience still isn't fully on board yet, and that is where a large bulk of the advertising target audience lies.

Oddly, I suspect ad revenue will go up in 4 years because they will over estimate this recent surge in American interest.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:08 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Regarding ad time, comparing the SB to the WC is useless since a soccer match will only have like 4 ads during the whole thing, all during halftime.

Sort of. There are ads all over the pre- and post- game, and in fact during the entire game. McDonald's for one, had Golden Arches pop up on the score box routinely. The lack of comparable ad revenue has a lot to do with the fact that the US audience still isn't fully on board yet, and that is where a large bulk of the advertising target audience lies.

Oddly, I suspect ad revenue will go up in 4 years because they will over estimate this recent surge in American interest.

The games also aren't in primetime like the Super Bowl. While there will certainly be more Americans watching in four years, the games are in Russia so I'm curious to see what the time difference does. I bet they'll probably start later to at least accommodate the European viewers but I'm not sure if we're going to have to deal with 8 AM games in the States. When they hosted the Champions League Final a couple years back they started at like 10 or 11 PM local time so people could actually watch.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby mod17b on Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:51 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:They do with injuries and suspensions. A quick look over the roster shows that I think only one non-keeper didn't get in any game. The rules also stipulate that you have to carry three keepers so it's really a 17 man roster for 10 outfield spots.

20 man roster for 10 outfield spots -- World Cup roster is 23 players

Diskerud and Chandler didn't see any action
mod17b
n00b

Postby eagle216 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:54 am

HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
eagle216 {l Wrote}:

I was under the impression about half the roster never sees the field(or pitch or whatever). Three subs sounds kind of dumb with a 20+man roster.

Then you would have really hated soccer in the past. The 3 sub thing is a relatively recent phenomenon. It used to be that no subs were allowed. You put your 11 on the pitch, and that was that. If a guy dropped deal, you played with 10, which is how it is now if you have already used your subs.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:03 pm

You guys do know that soccer is over, right?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HustlinOwl on Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:31 pm

Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:51 pm

the dropping dead part sounds pretty cool, i guess
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:32 pm

HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:

The best is at the :35 mark, when both players flop. Unbelievable.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:29 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:

gorDON prefers it when both players "flop"
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:04 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:

gorDON prefers it when both players "flop"

I'm working on an original piece of EO fiction to pay you back for your bullying.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle216 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:31 pm

Do they riot after the game, or just start now?
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:36 pm

twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Shea Field