2013 World Series - St. Louis Cardinals vs. Boston Redsox

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

How's it going down?

Cards in 4
13%
Sox in 4
No votes
Cards in 5
13%
Sox in 5
No votes
Cards in 6
No votes
Sox in 6
63%
Cards in 7
No votes
Sox in 7
13%

Total votes : 8

Re: 2013 World Series - St. Louis Cardinals vs. Boston Redsox

Postby hansen on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:54 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:Oh, and did I mention that the cards batted .330 with RISP and .305 with RISP and 2 outs in the regular season?
All this talk of the cards getting waxed is complete rubbish.

Waxed is a bit much, but on paper, the Sox should win this series. Frankly, if I were Matheny I would be itching to start Wacha tonight so that he could possibly go 3 starts. That said, they aren't going to put that kind of pressure on a star kid, and they aren't going to make a young guy throw that much or on short rest. Sox will wear down the other three starters.

Things happen - guys get hot and guys cool off. But when that is the best thing I can say about the Cardinal's chances, they aren't good. If the Sox bats stay cold as they were in DET, but the Sox pitchers cool off, STL probably wins.

I honestly cannot see why the Redsox are favorites. Is it because they are in the AL and people like to knobslob that division? Or perhaps because they have home field advantage?

Statistically, the only major category in which I can see that the redsox are superior is baserunning, which will be less of an advantage over a premier catcher such as Molina. Perhaps, home runs as well although it is my opinion that this number is skewed by the odd dimensions of fenway.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:59 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:the money tonight is on... sawks -125

that is all

given the way you and tedwardo have done this season in the pick'em, appreciate the heads up
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:02 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

that is all

given the way you and tedwardo have done this season in the pick'em, appreciate the heads up

this made me laugh :lol:

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:02 pm

Crasnickon the world series matchup

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:05 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:Oh, and did I mention that the cards batted .330 with RISP and .305 with RISP and 2 outs in the regular season?

Waxed is a bit much, but on paper, the Sox should win this series. Frankly, if I were Matheny I would be itching to start Wacha tonight so that he could possibly go 3 starts. That said, they aren't going to put that kind of pressure on a star kid, and they aren't going to make a young guy throw that much or on short rest. Sox will wear down the other three starters.

Things happen - guys get hot and guys cool off. But when that is the best thing I can say about the Cardinal's chances, they aren't good. If the Sox bats stay cold as they were in DET, but the Sox pitchers cool off, STL probably wins.

I honestly cannot see why the Redsox are favorites. Is it because they are in the AL and people like to knobslob that division? Or perhaps because they have home field advantage?

Statistically, the only major category in which I can see that the redsox are superior is baserunning, which will be less of an advantage over a premier catcher such as Molina. Perhaps, home runs as well although it is my opinion that this number is skewed by the odd dimensions of fenway.

You aren't much of a baseball fan, are you? Fenway is not a HR park, not even close.

Regardless, the Sox are better pretty much across the board.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:06 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

that is all

this made me laugh :lol:

This is also baseball, where I have made a ton of [imaginary] cash betting on the Sox already.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:14 pm

By the way, that preview of the Sox by the hummel guy is terrible. I laughed out loud at some points.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:15 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

You aren't much of a baseball fan, are you? Fenway is not a HR park, not even close.

I am surprised that Fenway ranks 16th in HRs; I would have guessed much higher.
As for the sox > cardinals across the board, i think you are delusional.

* i respeck you

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:19 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I am surprised that Fenway ranks 16th in HRs; I would have guessed much higher.
As for the sox > cardinals across the board, i think you are delusional.

* i respeck you

For a guy that is "guessing" for most of his analysis, I will take your arguments of delusion with a grain of salt.

:hansen
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:22 pm

P&S the Sox hit more dongs on the road.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:23 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

AL is a league, not a division.

More wins in a division where the rest of the teams finished 12 wins better than the NL Central.
More wins in a league that had 9 teams over .500 versus 7.
Home field advantage.
There's more but I'm lazy.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:31 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

More wins in a division where the rest of the teams finished 12 wins better than the NL Central.
Home field advantage.

The interleague disparity is another oft-cited factor. Red Sox chewed up the NL, including that Dodgers staff when they ended that consecutive series won streak. I saw a number that said the Cards were below .500
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:33 pm

Boston was 14-6, STL was 10-10
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:39 pm

Is there a photo of a male Sox fan kissing a male Cards fan somewhere on the internets?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:49 pm

I also think that there is an element in the predictions where the predictors believe the other shoe is about to drop with respect to the Sox lineup. Cards played very well in the NLCS and won in 6. The Sox won in the ALCS in 6 because the staff and pen were good, but despite not hitting at anywhere near the pace they did all season.

To some extent, that is because they faced Sanchez, Verlander and Scherzer twice each, but the Sox had seen Scherzer a few weeks before and scored 22 runs. I think the pundits believe that sooner or later in this series this lineup will break out and show the major league leading +197 run differential.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:51 pm

Oh, and while I am not a Grantland fan, I will let Keri and the stat nerds make the rest of the case:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9865825/jonah-keri-red-sox-world-series
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:54 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Home field advantage.

Yes, i know the AL is obviously a league... I was making two related points.
as for AL > NL, i would argue that the AL has more depth but the top teams in each league are essentially equal.
Last edited by hansen on Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:57 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I also think that there is an element in the predictions where the predictors believe the other shoe is about to drop with respect to the Sox lineup. Cards played very well in the NLCS and won in 6. The Sox won in the ALCS in 6 because the staff and pen were good, but despite not hitting at anywhere near the pace they did all season.

To some extent, that is because they faced Sanchez, Verlander and Scherzer twice each, but the Sox had seen Scherzer a few weeks before and scored 22 runs. I think the pundits believe that sooner or later in this series this lineup will break out and show the major league leading +197 run differential.

This will be the annoying thing about this series.
If the cardinals play well and win, then redsox fans will convince themselves it's because their team played poorly (which may or may not be true).

Someday redsox fans will realize that the baseball universe does not revolve around them.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:04 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Oh, and while I am not a Grantland fan, I will let Keri and the stat nerds make the rest of the case:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9865825/jonah-keri-red-sox-world-series

what's the vorp of that article

i say that as a numbers :geek:
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:18 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I also think that there is an element in the predictions where the predictors believe the other shoe is about to drop with respect to the Sox lineup. Cards played very well in the NLCS and won in 6. The Sox won in the ALCS in 6 because the staff and pen were good, but despite not hitting at anywhere near the pace they did all season.

If the cardinals play well and win, then redsox fans will convince themselves it's because their team played poorly (which may or may not be true).

Someday redsox fans will realize that the baseball universe does not revolve around them.

Just because I am a Red Sox fan does not mean I cannot state the obvious. The Red Sox hit poorly in the Tigers series, but won because they actually pitched better across the board - only two games were lost by the Tigers' closer - Verlander got outpitched by Lackey and Sanchez was beat straight up in game 5.

If the Red Sox come closer to their regular season offense, oh, I don't know, maybe Ortiz doesn't go 2-22 and Pedroia doesn't get all of his hits with the bases empty and two outs and Drew and Victorino make contact more that once, this could get ugly. Ellsbury is the only hot player in the Sox lineup, and if that doesnt' scare a Cards fan, they are crazy.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:23 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:as for AL > NL, i would argue that the AL has more depth but the top teams in each league are essentially equal.

If you concede this point, then you concede that the Sox win total is weighted more heavily, as they have played a larger percentage of good to decent teams.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:25 pm

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:20 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

The catcher doesn't have a lot to do with someone going from first to third on a basehit to right field.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:24 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

Isn't this every fanbase? And don't give me the bullshit line that Cards fans are the best in baseball because they're nice or something.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:33 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Isn't this every fanbase? And don't give me the bullshit line that Cards fans are the best in baseball because they're nice or something.

they are as fair weather as the pink sawks. i remember being able to buy front row seats on the day of the game in the days of cardinal suckitude
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:29 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Nope this is definitely not true mainly because cardinals fans are the best fans in baseball. Not to mention the nicest.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:19 pm

Red sox say :hansen

This team sucks. Great fans though
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Just ask them.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:46 pm

The biggest Cards fan I know is a disgruntled by Bonds former Giants fan. So I can only IBsume all their fans are. Hansen is a disgruntled by nothing but slap hits former Kyoto Dragons fan.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:12 pm

Bright side this stellar bullpen looked like ass
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Shea Field