2013 World Series - St. Louis Cardinals vs. Boston Redsox

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

How's it going down?

Cards in 4
13%
Sox in 4
No votes
Cards in 5
13%
Sox in 5
No votes
Cards in 6
No votes
Sox in 6
63%
Cards in 7
No votes
Sox in 7
13%

Total votes : 8

Re: 2013 World Series - St. Louis Cardinals vs. Boston Redsox

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:30 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:...cards winning game 6 and the redsox winning the decider in 7 which will be a punch to the balls.

this is my assumption of future events
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:30 pm

Not entirely sure why Matheny has 2 guys in the pen that will never pitch. Given the pressure and the temperature of the WS, starters generally dominate and go longer, and given that there is no tomorrow, the better relievers generally give you a ton more innings (this has been the Sox formula with Foulke in '04, Papsmear in '07, and now Koji in '13). There was no reason to carry a 5th starter and your deposed closer. Unless the Cards don't have any RH bats in their system other than the backup catcher, in which case grabbing Axford at the trade deadline instead of a guy that can get hit Lester and Dubront will turn out to be the death knell.

Maybe hansen can explain, since I didn't see the game, but how did that lineup light up Kershaw in the clincher of the NLCS? Ryu had success right? I didn't follow that closely.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:35 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:...cards winning game 6 and the redsox winning the decider in 7 which will be a punch to the balls.

On paper this is the likely outcome. However, I would note three mitigating factors: (1) Wacha, while awesome, is still a rookie pitching in Fenway in what could be the first clinching game there since 1918; and (2) although it didn't result in many runs, some of the long silent Red Sox bats showed some life this past game (Ellsbury in particular); (3) the Sox are throwing Lackey in Game 6, who has clinched a WS in his career and seems to be hitting on all cylinders.

Expect it to be close and low scoring, and would avoid the money line like the plague (as I said the last time these two matched up) but if forced to pick, I would stick with my original prediction and say Sox in 6 on a hot game from Ellsbury to guarantee that he never wears the uniform again (eff you Boras).
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:44 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Not entirely sure why Matheny has 2 guys in the pen that will never pitch. Given the pressure and the temperature of the WS, starters generally dominate and go longer, and given that there is no tomorrow, the better relievers generally give you a ton more innings (this has been the Sox formula with Foulke in '04, Papsmear in '07, and now Koji in '13). There was no reason to carry a 5th starter and your deposed closer. Unless the Cards don't have any RH bats in their system other than the backup catcher, in which case grabbing Axford at the trade deadline instead of a guy that can get hit Lester and Dubront will turn out to be the death knell.

Maybe hansen can explain, since I didn't see the game, but how did that lineup light up Kershaw in the clincher of the NLCS? Ryu had success right? I didn't follow that closely.

One was a long reliever which was insurance for Lynn in case he only went a 1/3 of an inning or something ridiculous like that. mujica is a disaster; it was a tactical blunder keeping him on this roster.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:47 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

On paper this is the likely outcome. However, I would note three mitigating factors: (1) Wacha, while awesome, is still a rookie pitching in Fenway in what could be the first clinching game there since 1918; and (2) although it didn't result in many runs, some of the long silent Red Sox bats showed some life this past game (Ellsbury in particular); (3) the Sox are throwing Lackey in Game 6, who has clinched a WS in his career and seems to be hitting on all cylinders.

Expect it to be close and low scoring, and would avoid the money line like the plague (as I said the last time these two matched up) but if forced to pick, I would stick with my original prediction and say Sox in 6 on a hot game from Ellsbury to guarantee that he never wears the uniform again (eff you Boras).

i would still argue the redsox bats are still dormant. they're RBIs last night were balls down the line that could have gone either way. colelctively, their BAs are below .200. Ortiz is the exception; guy is on another planet now. if i was matheny, then i would not pitch to him in any situation (and that includes bases loaded). maybe wacha can with his stuff (once or twice through the order) but no one else on the team has the stuff to get him out right now.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:54 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

i would still argue the redsox bats are still dormant. they're RBIs last night were balls down the line that could have gone either way. colelctively, their BAs are below .200. Ortiz is the exception; guy is on another planet now. if i was matheny, then i would not pitch to him in any situation (and that includes bases loaded). maybe wacha can with his stuff (once or twice through the order) but no one else on the team has the stuff to get him out right now.

Ellsbury's RBI single was a solid line drive to center, and right now, if you had to guess which way Papi's balls down the line would go, which way would it be? I'll give you Ross' hit was a tough one.

I was also referring to the fact that Boegarts had two sold shots up the middle on filthy curve balls, Pedroia roped a double in the corner, The Ghost of JD Drew's little brother hit one to the track, and Napoli and Victorino (probably) are returning to the lineup. Wainwright was nasty last night, but they hit some balls hard. Papi's only out was a rocket right at CF.

I know Papi had three of them, but they did have 9 hits last night off of a guy who had his good stuff. They didn't string them together other than the 7th, when they had three hits, but given where they were before there were some good signs.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:32 pm

originally said sox in 6, now i think its cards in 7.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:15 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:originally said sox in 6, now i think its cards in 7.

I assume this is to prompt some action on the board since hansen gave up.

Similar to the game 6 home pounding of Kershaw in the NLCS by a team that cannot hit lefties, this feels like it is over despite the opposing starting pitcher being out of his mind. This will be the second time the Sox see him in Fenway in a week, and that usually bodes well for them.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:34 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Similar to the game 6 home pounding of Kershaw in the NLCS by a team that cannot hit lefties, this feels like it is over despite the opposing starting pitcher being out of his mind. This will be the second time the Sox see him in Fenway in a week, and that usually bodes well for them.

i simply like wacha tonight. gut feeling.

then when game 7 comes anything can happen.

i really dont care about the outcome one way or another. i have found the sox enjoyable to watch this season.

ill be in the building tonight :tophat
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:38 am

I'm jealous. I passed on tickets a week ago, starting to regret that. Guess I will just listen out the window and put the pictures on the TV. Dress warm.

Wacha's the kind of pitcher the Sox usually hit in the regular season once they have seen them. He has a strange delivery and good stuff on the heat, but he is a two pitch pitcher (fastball/change) with a curve that is by definition a hanger. He can't get it down.

That's not to say he can't win tonight. He's just not likely to if Lackey holds the Cards under 3 through 7.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:47 am

lackey's been unbelievable this postseason...who would've thought...
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:02 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:lackey's been unbelievable this postseason...who would've thought...

He had a good regular season (the W-L total is really deceptive) but he wasn't this good. Never saw it coming. That said, the relief thing was no big deal, he used it as his side session.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:14 am

The thought of Jake Peavy on the mound tomorrow should be enough to scare the Sox offense into some late-inning scores.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:19 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:The thought of Jake Peavy on the mound tomorrow should be enough to scare the Sox offense into some late-inning scores.

His performance would've been fine if not for Breslow. Wasn't great, but certainly enough to get to Dubront, who the Cards can't touch because he is left handed. In fact, they may start Dubront and use Lester out of the pen. That's what I would do.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:41 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:The thought of Jake Peavy on the mound tomorrow should be enough to scare the Sox offense into some late-inning scores.

His performance would've been fine if not for Breslow. Wasn't great, but certainly enough to get to Dubront, who the Cards can't touch because he is left handed. In fact, they may start Dubront and use Lester out of the pen. That's what I would do.

Trust the staff :dildodog
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:10 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Trust the staff :dildodog

Well played. Of course, I could have just said "Joe Kelly, starting Game 7, in Fenway Park".
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:27 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

i'm sick and need to travel to japan next week on business.
i hate traveling while sick so i am at home in bed trying to get better.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:28 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

starting jake peavy in game 7 would be a disaster for the redsox. maybe it would work but it's not the move that I would make if i was managing that team.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:46 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

starting jake peavy in game 7 would be a disaster for the redsox. maybe it would work but it's not the move that I would make if i was managing that team.

Given the the availability of both Lester and Dubront in Game 7, I would take 5 IP and 2 ER from Peavy and expect a win. He wasn't remotely close to a "disaster" in his last start. Breslow was the disaster.

Peavy had a great start against TB, a very bad start against DET and a mediocre start against STL. And as was the case in Game 3, he was yanked before anything bad could happen. Starting Peavy doesn't concern me, although I would rather see Dubront. Buchholz is a different story - he better be done for the series. '

It's not going to matter, however.

You'll get to see the Sox second parade in Japan - that's pretty cool.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:59 pm

why would the sawks hold a parade in japan?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:15 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:why would the sawks hold a parade in japan?

For the other half of their roster.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:32 pm

Spotted a dude near my office carrying a hanger high above the ground - through the plastic bag you could see that his brighter-than-white red sox jersey was the item he had dry cleaned. Saw a Carl Everett jersey shortly thereafter.

What is wrong with you people?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:36 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Spotted a dude near my office carrying a hanger high above the ground - through the plastic bag you could see that his brighter-than-white red sox jersey was the item he had dry cleaned. Saw a Carl Everett jersey shortly thereafter.

No idea. My drunkenly purchased Trot Nixon/JD Drew official home jersey is buried at the bottom of my storage unit. Was purchased on a random night in 2004 when those with me also purchased Varitek and Everett (now Ellsbury) jerseys. $700 total for shit not likely worn again (by the guys that purchased them at least)
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:45 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Spotted a dude near my office carrying a hanger high above the ground - through the plastic bag you could see that his brighter-than-white red sox jersey was the item he had dry cleaned. Saw a Carl Everett jersey shortly thereafter.

No idea. My drunkenly purchased Trot Nixon/JD Drew official home jersey is buried at the bottom of my storage unit. Was purchased on a random night in 2004 when those with me also purchased Varitek and Everett (now Ellsbury) jerseys. $700 total for shit not likely worn again (by the guys that purchased them at least)

Was it a Thursday night?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:54 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

which one was convicts?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:59 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Was it a Thursday night?

Might have been
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:00 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

which one was convicts?

Convict was probably a freshman at BU at the time.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:03 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

which one was convicts?

so he was dunking on campus instead of enjoying an evening out with you? radnor will be glad to hear that...
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:32 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

which one was convicts?

So his hockey sweater hadn't turned yellow with overuse and dryhumping yet?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:18 pm

The story of this series can be summed up by this game 6 statistic:

Cards 9 hits, 1 run
Sox 8 hits, 6 runs

That's all I have left to say about this series.

hansen
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Shea Field