2013 World Series - St. Louis Cardinals vs. Boston Redsox

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

How's it going down?

Cards in 4
13%
Sox in 4
No votes
Cards in 5
13%
Sox in 5
No votes
Cards in 6
No votes
Sox in 6
63%
Cards in 7
No votes
Sox in 7
13%

Total votes : 8

Re: 2013 World Series - St. Louis Cardinals vs. Boston Redsox

Postby hansen on Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:13 pm

:bored

It's no surprise that the cardinals lost this game. anyone that knows anything about this team would not be surprised? left-handed pitching is kryptonite to the super cardinals. it's been that way for some time now (not just this season).

the score was a little surprising but what can you say? when you commit 3 errors... that's not even counting the dropped ball between wainwright/molina. the cardinals played a similar game during the NLCS in LA and recovered to win the series.

key inning in my opinion... cardinals had a chance to get back in the game in the 4th down 5-0 when freese GIDP; instead, Lester gets out of the inning unscathed and the rout continues. Lester pitched well today. Wainwright did not but then again his defense was not helping.

i'm not wavering from my earlier prediction of cardinals losing game 1 and going on to win the series*

* assuming carlos beltran is not injured... admittedly, without beltran the lineup looks far different and less imposing.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:00 am

after pocketing last nights free money tonight's money is on the cardinals -102
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:44 am

beltran has a hangnail?

maybe well see him in 2015.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:53 am

This will be the annoying thing about this series. When the Cardinals play poorly and their ace gets pummeled, Cardinal fans will say that the Cardinals had an off night, and it had nothing to do with the [HIGHLY PREDICTABLE] result of the Red Sox approach to the game.

On to thoughts on Hansen's excuse-making (above):

I am not sure how Hansen thinks that team is going to score. That lineup is punch-less. I know everyone thinks Beltran is some postseason miracle worker, but he is not a power hitter. Holliday, eh, he occasionally gets a hold of one. Other than that it is a lineup of punch and judy hitters that can't run and play station to station baseball. They are the type of team that gets 4 hits in an inning without scoring.

Wainwright doesn't have the stuff to miss bats unless he works the curve low and outside the zone. Problem is, Dodgers swung at those. Red Sox do not.

Not impressed with the postseason debut of the bullpen flamethrowers. I believe I suggested that they not throw Papi and Napoli 98 mph fastballs up, did I not. Has that ball off of Siegrist landed yet? Hell Boegarts hit the one off the pretend Pedro guy too hard - if he had a little lift it would have been on the Pike.

Hansen, you can point to the sloppy play and mental mistakes and say that you got it out of the way. Sox fans look at that game and see a lot of hard hit balls, and other than a great catch by Beltran, a game that could have been in the low teens. Had Dempster not pitched, the Cards don't even come close to scoring.

Oh, P&S if Buchholz can't go Game 4 (looking like a possibility) you are either getting another lefty, Dubront, or Lester on 3 days rest so that he can go three times.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:56 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:after pocketing last nights free money tonight's money is on the cardinals -102

I wouldn't bet tonight's game. While my normal inclination would be to agree with you, I don't think Wacha makes it out of the 6th without throwing 120 pitches, and that bullpen was not impressive.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:14 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:beltran has a hangnail?

Mets fans disdain for Carlos Beltran is a constant source of entertainment. Especially for his looking strikeout on a breaking pitch nobody could have hit against a guy who's acquitted himself pretty well later in his career.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:20 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:after pocketing last nights free money tonight's money is on the cardinals -102

I wouldn't bet tonight's game. While my normal inclination would be to agree with you, I don't think Wacha makes it out of the 6th without throwing 120 pitches, and that bullpen was not impressive.

david stern will guarantee the cards win at least one in boston. it'll keep more tv sets tuned in for the journey through the gateway to the west.

that said, i'm pulling chips back and only putting up half of last night's winnings
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:29 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:This will be the annoying thing about this series. When the Cardinals play poorly and their ace gets pummeled, Cardinal fans will say that the Cardinals had an off night, and it had nothing to do with the [HIGHLY PREDICTABLE] result of the Red Sox approach to the game.

I am not sure how Hansen thinks that team is going to score. That lineup is punch-less. I know everyone thinks Beltran is some postseason miracle worker, but he is not a power hitter. Holliday, eh, he occasionally gets a hold of one. Other than that it is a lineup of punch and judy hitters that can't run and play station to station baseball. They are the type of team that gets 4 hits in an inning without scoring.

Wainwright doesn't have the stuff to miss bats unless he works the curve low and outside the zone. Problem is, Dodgers swung at those. Red Sox do not.

Not impressed with the postseason debut of the bullpen flamethrowers. I believe I suggested that they not throw Papi and Napoli 98 mph fastballs up, did I not. Has that ball off of Siegrist landed yet? Hell Boegarts hit the one off the pretend Pedro guy too hard - if he had a little lift it would have been on the Pike.

Hansen, you can point to the sloppy play and mental mistakes and say that you got it out of the way. Sox fans look at that game and see a lot of hard hit balls, and other than a great catch by Beltran, a game that could have been in the low teens. Had Dempster not pitched, the Cards don't even come close to scoring.

Oh, P&S if Buchholz can't go Game 4 (looking like a possibility) you are either getting another lefty, Dubront, or Lester on 3 days rest so that he can go three times.

I was not making excuses.

Lester pitched will and there were some good at-bats by the red sox hitters (napoli 3 RBIs and ortiz come to mind).
Wainwright did not pitch well; his line of 5.0 IP, 6 hits, 3ER, 1BB, 4K was deceiving. He struggled the entire night locating his fastball which is bad for him as he no longer has dominant stuff.

that said, If you think 3 errors (and, in my opinion, what should have been a fourth on the Drew "hit") did not have a significant impact on the game then you are :clownshoes.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:31 am

as you two continue getting into it over the coming days, the management of this website has one favor to ask

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:39 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

david stern will guarantee the cards win at least one in boston. it'll keep more tv sets tuned in for the journey through the gateway to the west.

that said, i'm pulling chips back and only putting up half of last night's winnings

Baseball is not like basketball. Much tougher to rig because it is unpredictable and there is no clock. This is evidenced by the number of sweeps in recent series.

That said, I am not betting it either way. Wacha is the better starter, but he has never had to deal with this type of meat grinder. It's funny to hear the Cards fans complain about all the close pitches the Sox lay off that they think are strikes.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:42 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:This will be the annoying thing about this series. When the Cardinals play poorly and their ace gets pummeled, Cardinal fans will say that the Cardinals had an off night, and it had nothing to do with the [HIGHLY PREDICTABLE] result of the Red Sox approach to the game.

Lester pitched will and there were some good at-bats by the red sox hitters (napoli 3 RBIs and ortiz come to mind).
Wainwright did not pitch well; his line of 5.0 IP, 6 hits, 3ER, 1BB, 4K was deceiving. He struggled the entire night locating his fastball which is bad for him as he no longer has dominant stuff.

that said, If you think 3 errors (and, in my opinion, what should have been a fourth on the Drew "hit") did not have a significant impact on the game then you are :clownshoes.

Errors don't have an impact on the game when the only chance the error-committing team has to score is an appearance by the Ghost of Ryan Dempster.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:54 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Baseball is not like basketball. Much tougher to rig because it is unpredictable and there is no clock. This is evidenced by the number of sweeps in recent series.

That said, I am not betting it either way. Wacha is the better starter, but he has never had to deal with this type of meat grinder. It's funny to hear the Cards fans complain about all the close pitches the Sox lay off that they think are strikes.

I have not heard any of these complaints... Lester threw strikes, Wainwright didnt.
If you think that your best chance against Wacha is that he's never pitched "under pressure", then clearly your team has no chance of winning this game. Did the 55K screaming fans in LA not count (at least until Wacha repeatedly worked them over and quieted the crowd)?

that said, Wacha has a 0.57 WHIP and a 0.43 ERA in the postseason thus far. He'd do for a bad game. No pitcherr can pitch that well for that long in the postseason against the best teams. I expect him to get "roughed up" for 3 runs or so but it will be enough to bring the series back to STL tied at 1-1.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:58 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Errors don't have an impact on the game when the only chance the error-committing team has to score is an appearance by the Ghost of Ryan Dempster.

the first 5 runs were all the result of errors.
completely different game if big fatty runs into what should have been an easy inning ending DP in the first and wainwright catches routine popup in the second.
instead, lester gets a five run cushion, can relax, and throw strikes without any pressure... giving a good pitcher a 5 run cushion is a recipe for disaster.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:59 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

Mets fans disdain for Carlos Beltran is a constant source of entertainment. Especially for his looking strikeout on a breaking pitch nobody could have hit against a guy who's acquitted himself pretty well later in his career.

my disdain for beltran has nothing to do with that pitch. in fact, he was one of the only who showed up in those playoffs.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:05 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I have not heard any of these complaints... Lester threw strikes, Wainwright didnt.
If you think that your best chance against Wacha is that he's never pitched "under pressure", then clearly your team has no chance of winning this game. Did the 55K screaming fans in LA not count (at least until Wacha repeatedly worked them over and quieted the crowd)?

that said, Wacha has a 0.57 WHIP and a 0.43 ERA in the postseason thus far. He'd do for a bad game. No pitcherr can pitch that well for that long in the postseason against the best teams. I expect him to get "roughed up" for 3 runs or so but it will be enough to bring the series back to STL tied at 1-1.

Has nothing to do with fans. The meat grinder is the lineup that saw more pitches than any team in baseball by over 1,000 pitches.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:07 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

completely different game if big fatty runs into what should have been an easy inning ending DP in the first and wainwright catches routine popup in the second.
instead, lester gets a five run cushion, can relax, and throw strikes without any pressure... giving a good pitcher a 5 run cushion is a recipe for disaster.

The first 5 runs were not unearned. You can never assume the double play, especially from where Kozma was coming to turn it. Jesus this excuse sounds terrible. Can't win if you can't score. And you weren't scoring last night unless Dempster pitched.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:13 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

The first 5 runs were not unearned. You can never assume the double play, especially from where Kozma was coming to turn it. Jesus this excuse sounds terrible. Can't win if you can't score. And you weren't scoring last night unless Dempster pitched.

i didn't say they were all unearned, just that they were a result of errors... you have to think that DP is turned with Ortiz running to first.
cards had some goods chance with the bases loaded in the top of the fourth and 2 guys on in the top of the fifth.
good pitches by lester and poor hitting by freese/jay ended those threats.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:37 am

Lineup is top heavy and its not that heavy. If I am pitching for Sox, I focus on getting Beltran, Holliday, Molina and maybe Craig out and let the rest of them try to string five singles together without grounding into a DP.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:48 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

i didn't say they were all unearned, just that they were a result of errors... you have to think that DP is turned with Ortiz running to first.
cards had some goods chance with the bases loaded in the top of the fourth and 2 guys on in the top of the fifth.
good pitches by lester and poor hitting by freese/jay ended those threats.

And that's because Freese and Jay are league average hitters. League average hitters end threats.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:04 am

I like hansen but he is not coming off well in this thread.

Mets fans' disdain for Beltran is an aggregation of a lot of things:
- Offering the Yankees a discount on the contract offer the Mets had made.
- His first year with the team when he underperformed and was booed.
- His refusal to answer curtain calls once he turned things around in his second year.
- Not swinging at the Wainwright curveball.
- Getting knee surgery without the team's consent and missing more than half of the 2010 season.

I actually think disdain is a strong word and not appropriate. I think disappointment is more accurate.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:06 am

isn't "mets fan" and "disappointment" redundant?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby EagleNYC on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:21 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

my disdain for beltran has nothing to do with that pitch. in fact, he was one of the only who showed up in those playoffs.

Truth. 3 HR in the series and an OPS over 1.000. Hittable or not, it was an awful way to end a series. I've never considered that a rational reaction, however.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:31 am

Beltran is a pussy. The Cardinals are worse than I remember. Jesus, the NL is AAAA.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:38 am

bottom line: Cardinals need to win game 2.

If they win, game 1 will be forgotten.
If the lose, then they are in serious trouble.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:45 am

hansen {l Wrote}:bottom line: Cardinals need to win game 2.

for the record, i am glad i did not call my guy yet.

i was on the fence until this post and now the money is on sawks -108 (dammit - it went up to -120)
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:49 am

i was on the fence until this post and now the money is on sawks -108 (dammit - it went up to -120)

by "guy", i take it you mean bookie... not the guy you sleep with on the down low. :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:51 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
by "guy", i take it you mean bookie... not the guy you sleep with on the down low. :shrug

i have to say that this was lame, even for you
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:54 am

For the record, I told you not to bet this game - at all. That said, you're on the right side of 50% now, and many people agree with you evidently.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby EagleNYC on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:55 am

Ok, let's ramp up the debate here: was Lester cheating last night? There is even some video "proof."

http://thebiglead.com/2013/10/24/jon-lesters-glove-contained-a-green-substance-was-he-cheating/

The video, viewed in a vacuum, definitely look suspicious. My conclusion is "we'll never know."
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:02 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:Ok, let's ramp up the debate here: was Lester cheating last night? There is even some video "proof."

http://thebiglead.com/2013/10/24/jon-lesters-glove-contained-a-green-substance-was-he-cheating/

The video, viewed in a vacuum, definitely look suspicious. My conclusion is "we'll never know."

This is one of the dumber things to come out of last night.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Shea Field