2013 World Series - St. Louis Cardinals vs. Boston Redsox

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

How's it going down?

Cards in 4
13%
Sox in 4
No votes
Cards in 5
13%
Sox in 5
No votes
Cards in 6
No votes
Sox in 6
63%
Cards in 7
No votes
Sox in 7
13%

Total votes : 8

Re: 2013 World Series - St. Louis Cardinals vs. Boston Redsox

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:40 pm

Thank God hansen is shutting up
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:39 am

hansen {l Wrote}:Cardinals in 5... losing the game in which Lester starts (assuming they pitch him in game 1).

Cardinals cleanup hitter Allen Craig to return to the roster for the first time in the postseason. 8-)

What is the prize for those of us (ME ME ME) who picked the Sox in 6?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:45 am

what a fucking police state last night
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:35 am

hansen {l Wrote}:The story of this series can be summed up by this game 6 statistic:

Cards 9 hits, 1 run
Sox 8 hits, 6 runs

That's all I have left to say about this series.

Pretty much. Cards have a non-threatening lineup full of punch and judy singles hitters that can't run and don't take pitches, with the quintessential generic righty .270 hitting slugger that hits cripple pitches. Holliday is like a rich man's Johnny Gomes.

Pitching is pretty good though. Figured the second time around on Wacha would tell a different tale, but if they have him and Wainwright and move Martinez into the rotation with Miller, they may be right back there, losing to a team with a much better lineup.

Told IB six months ago that the Sox would win with pitching. Add "Timely hitting" and there you go.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:37 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:what a fucking police state last night

I checked on my car twice, but otherwise stayed in and drank a 12 pack of Lagunitas IPA. Looked like they had it pretty well locked down though.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:44 am

This picture is awesome. And hopefully smaller than the version I just tried posting.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:58 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:This picture is awesome. And hopefully smaller than the version I just tried posting.

Is that the one on the Herald?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:12 am

Yeah but the Herald has one at a higher angle. I like the field level version better.

There's also a Thurman Munson and Cory Lidle joke somewhere in there.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:49 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:The story of this series can be summed up by this game 6 statistic:

Cards 9 hits, 1 run
Sox 8 hits, 6 runs

That's all I have left to say about this series.

Pretty much. Cards have a non-threatening lineup full of punch and judy singles hitters that can't run and don't take pitches, with the quintessential generic righty .270 hitting slugger that hits cripple pitches.

Which makes it all the stranger that hansen left his loyalty for the Kyoto Dragons behind in order to follow the Cards.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:54 am

the walks wacha threw were absolute killers. cant do that. also need to get on the board first in an elimination game.

sox were the better team and totally deserved to win...i get the sense detriot wouldve beaten the cards too (as would have a lot of teams)
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:11 am

The longer a series goes, the better chance those AL lineups will get to you. The NL advantage in a short series is unknown quality pitching. 7 games is usually short enough to give them a chance, despite the lineup discrepancies, but over time, the AL bats will get you.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:25 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The longer a series goes, the better chance those AL lineups will get to you. The NL advantage in a short series is unknown quality pitching. 7 games is usually short enough to give them a chance, despite the lineup discrepancies, but over time, the AL bats will get you.

i wasn't going to comment on this series anymore but one more comment. I really think it boils down to 3 reasons why the cards couldn't score and lost the series:

1) Kozma
2) Jay
3) Adams or Freeze (pick one)

The Cards pitched well enough to win the series. however, They're hitting with RISP was atrocious, which is funny considering that they were .330 during the regular season. granted, you expect the good postseason pitching to neutralize that number somewhat but their playoffs RISP was downright laughable.

cards need to add a SS, 3B, and bring up their top prospect in CF for next year. pitching is fine. Garcia will be back from injury as will motte the former closer.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:29 pm

Red Sox showed Wacha that he needs a third pitch. That hanging curve ball is cute, but it ain't going to get it done.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:32 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Red Sox showed Wacha that he needs a third pitch. That hanging curve ball is cute, but it ain't going to get it done.

i think he was trying to bring a game plan that the redsox were not prepared for. i think he assumed that bringing the same fastball/changeup stuff on such short turnaround would not get it done so he mixed in a lot of curveballs. honestly, i would have like to seem him bring the heat and his deadly changeup. why get beat on your third best pitch.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:56 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Red Sox showed Wacha that he needs a third pitch. That hanging curve ball is cute, but it ain't going to get it done.

i think he was trying to bring a game plan that the redsox were not prepared for. i think he assumed that bringing the same fastball/changeup stuff on such short turnaround would not get it done so he mixed in a lot of curveballs. honestly, i would have like to seem him bring the heat and his deadly changeup. why get beat on your third best pitch.

Because teams don't get beat by pitchers with two pitches.

Also, the Sox just took that hanger. They didn't do damage on it. They were sitting on the fastball.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:21 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:what a fucking police state last night

what happened?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:32 pm

I also want to congratulate Hansen on thinking Red Sox is one word.

:hansen
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:15 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:I also want to congratulate Hansen on thinking Red Sox is one word.

:hansen

Is this why you dropped the :chalupa ?

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:02 pm

no - that was due to chili powder in the bagina
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:15 pm

Unbelievable stat I just read about the series.

"The Red Sox won the World Series by striking out 23 times more than any other team in playoff history. They fanned an average of nearly 10 a game in the World Series with 59 strikeouts in six games and their postseason strikeout average was 9.70 per game."

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:54 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Unbelievable stat I just read about the series.

"The Red Sox won the World Series by striking out 23 times more than any other team in playoff history. They fanned an average of nearly 10 a game in the World Series with 59 strikeouts in six games and their postseason strikeout average was 9.70 per game."

By-product of taking so many pitches - you only get one chance to make contact. Try watching that shit for an entire season, your eyes begin to bleed.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Previous

Return to Shea Field