2013/14/15 golf thread

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 golf thread

Postby HustlinOwl on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:23 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:Never been to a PGA tour event, but I've been to a couple Nationwide events. They're lame. Know where the beer/cocktails are being served and don't venture too far from there.

The US Open is not a PGA Tour event. Just saying.

Never said it was.

Good for you.

The rest of us were talking about the Open, so why the PGA disclaimer?

Bryn Mawr - "Headed to a World Cup game, thoughts?"

Owl - "Never been to an EPL game, but I have been to MLS games, and they don't have many fans so you should be able to sit where you want"

The Open isn't until next month and I've never been over there so can't really make any recommendations.
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:23 pm

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:51 pm

The Open isn't next month unless you live in a country that we kicked the shit out of in the late 18th century or work at ESPN.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:53 pm

:lame
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:29 am

Sorry, not going to have that communist British crap around here.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Mosi on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:09 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:Going to be in Saratoga Labor Day weekend (This is why we shouldn't have Labor Day home games :oldman )...First time and wont be back for a while - Spa it is.

Also really wanted to get to Whistling but logistics make it such that I'll probably return to Pinehurst (which isn't the worst news)

for those who care (me), change of plans again. Going to whistling in august. cant wait.

my brother has played there a couple times, said its incredible
"Felgie, you Kenmore Kommunity Kollege Eurotrash prettyboy, you're right about one thing, I'm a BC guy and my shit dosen't stink" Mosi on the whiner line 3/23/04
Mosi
McGuinn Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:15 am

Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess I did alot of the "typical" stuff for a newbie at one of these tournaments: we got to Merion, did the merchandise tent, then went searching for Tiger and followed him for two holes, then went over to the putting green as Mickelson came out to warm up, watched him tee-off on 1, then went over to 18 and planted at a spot one row back from the rail right under the flagpole at the 18th green. From there I could look behind and see the tee-box on 14, so we saw alot of guys come through there. And I could see up the length of 18 and was approximately 30 yards from the flag as everyone come in and finished their rounds. Great view of the clubhouse and awards ceremony too. Considering I was with my 70+ year old Dad and uncle, we wern't going to be doing much running around the course so this worked out great. One of my neioghbors was also near me and had his young daughter with him. She planted near where the players exited the course and must have gotten 10 balls signed by players. Bubba Watson was great, he must have thrown 8 signed balls into the crowd.

It was an amazing day.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:14 am

heading out to whistling straits tomorrow.

cant wait.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:57 am

Whistling was very nice - a few comments:

-The shuttle service from hotels to Whistling annoyed me - only once an hour? Awful.
-Straits course is right up there with any of the Bandon courses, just a great track.
-Irish course is also a very nice track - obviously not at Straits level in terms of views.
-Blackwolf Run as a complex didn't do much for me...I feel like I've played similar courses many times. Very well maintained though.
-The Blackwolf clubhouse/dining area was excellent. Had dinner on the patio overlooking the double 18 green. Great spot.
-If I were to do it over again (and I will), I'd get a replay round on Straits and play Irish more as well.

As it were, my schedule was:

Fri: Irish (then Irish for around 14 more holes due to darkness)
Sat: River course then Meadows course
Sun: Straits course

I think it beats Pinehurst (and is also cheaper) but is nowhere near Bandon.

Bandon really is in a league of its own in the US.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:34 am

how was the bratwurst?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:13 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:how was the bratwurst?

good not great
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:22 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:how was the bratwurst?

good not great

where were you putting it?

spent the weekend 100 miles north of kohler. nice weather for a golf weekend if you had what we had.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:23 pm

Playing the Spa course on Fri up in Saratoga...looking forward to it.

Thanks for the recs for a round up there.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:43 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Playing the Spa course on Fri up in Saratoga...looking forward to it.

Don't go into it thinking it is Whistling Straits or Bethpage. And I haven't played it in a few years, so can't vouch for its condition.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:58 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:Playing the Spa course on Fri up in Saratoga...looking forward to it.

Don't go into it thinking it is Whistling Straits or Bethpage. And I haven't played it in a few years, so can't vouch for its condition.

its $44...the expectations are tempered
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:53 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

its $44...the expectations are tempered

True, but its the same price as Bethpage, or used to be at least.

It's a good course, and they've had tons of water up there. The Hudson was running high in the Adirondacks on July 4th. I'm assuming the course got plenty - if so, it should be fantastic, and even the amount of play it gets shouldn't be an issue.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:59 pm

dustin Johnson. what a wrecking ball. respect
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:11 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:dustin Johnson. what a wrecking ball. respect

Can you imagine if one of the tour wives he banged was Elin Nordegren? Twitter would break.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:14 pm

I had no idea, but evidently none of this is really news. Golf is evidently the last sport where reporters hold back.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:54 pm

The coke news I had known to be true. All of the caddies I've had at higher echelon places I've played at have told me that as fact.

The lady news I was not aware of
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:34 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:The coke news I had known to be true. All of the caddies I've had at higher echelon places I've played at have told me that as fact.

The lady news I was not aware of

The internets are full of crazy lady/golfer rumors these days.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:59 am

great evening of golf yesterday. wish we got more west coast opens/pgas so It could lend itself to more primetime golf
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:32 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:great evening of golf yesterday. wish we got more west coast opens/pgas so It could lend itself to more primetime golf

It was a great evening of golf, but man did Rory act half his age. Play in the dark or come back tomorrow. Don't be a whiney douche and run up the backs of the players in front of you, giving you a huge advantage on the last hole.

Great player, giant douche, par for the course, so to speak. Someone has to fill in now that Tiger is done.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:05 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:great evening of golf yesterday. wish we got more west coast opens/pgas so It could lend itself to more primetime golf

It was a great evening of golf, but man did Rory act half his age. Play in the dark or come back tomorrow. Don't be a whiney douche and run up the backs of the players in front of you, giving you a huge advantage on the last hole.

Great player, giant douche, par for the course, so to speak. Someone has to fill in now that Tiger is done.

you could tell phil was pissed. as he should have been. I need to fire up the old course recs for the general boston area. ive run out of spots
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:08 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

you could tell phil was pissed. as he should have been. I need to fire up the old course recs for the general boston area. ive run out of spots

i'm of the belief that phil is pissed most of the time, anyway, regardless of circumstances. few come off as less genuine than that guy.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:14 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

i'm of the belief that phil is pissed most of the time, anyway, regardless of circumstances. few come off as less genuine than that guy.

I've followed him at several US Open final rounds where he came in second and probably should have been pissed, and the exact opposite of what you said is true. Guy's nice as hell and it doesn't seem fake at all. It's only some of the other golfers (notable exceptions being the numerous guys that practice with him all the time, from Couples to Fowler) that say shit like that.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:16 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I've followed him at several US Open final rounds where he came in second and probably should have been pissed, and the exact opposite of what you said is true. Guy's nice as hell and it doesn't seem fake at all. It's only some of the other golfers (notable exceptions being the numerous guys that practice with him all the time, from Couples to Fowler) that say shit like that.

That is good to hear.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:20 pm

Guys always seemed nice when ive followed him.

Ive heard plenty of rumors about him having a bastard child in ohio as a random aside.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:21 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

That is good to hear.

As subtly referenced in yesterday's telecast, rumor is that Fowler, Bradley and a few other guys team up with Mickelson and take a lot of cash from the other golfers on Tuesday and Wednesday. I believe Faldo's quote was "If you knew what they were playing for in those practice rounds, you would know that Fowler is easily ready to play in the final round of a major."
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:24 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

That is good to hear.

As subtly referenced in yesterday's telecast, rumor is that Fowler, Bradley and a few other guys team up with Mickelson and take a lot of cash from the other golfers on Tuesday and Wednesday. I believe Faldo's quote was "If you knew what they were playing for in those practice rounds, you would know that Fowler is easily ready to play in the final round of a major."

this is fact. phils VERY well known to play for shittons of money in the practice rounds, and youre either very for it (fowlers a big fan of them), or very against it. its become an issue a few times with a variety of golfers who had huge money left on the hook as a result of those rounds
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Shea Field