2013/14/15 golf thread

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 golf thread

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:26 pm

if you can't afford it, you shouldn't wager it
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:28 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:great evening of golf yesterday. wish we got more west coast opens/pgas so It could lend itself to more primetime golf

It was a great evening of golf, but man did Rory act half his age. Play in the dark or come back tomorrow. Don't be a whiney douche and run up the backs of the players in front of you, giving you a huge advantage on the last hole.

Great player, giant douche, par for the course, so to speak. Someone has to fill in now that Tiger is done.

you could tell phil was pissed. as he should have been. I need to fire up the old course recs for the general boston area. ive run out of spots

i'm of the belief that phil is pissed most of the time, anyway, regardless of circumstances. few come off as less genuine than that guy.

I've followed him at several US Open final rounds where he came in second and probably should have been pissed, and the exact opposite of what you said is true. Guy's nice as hell and it doesn't seem fake at all. It's only some of the other golfers (notable exceptions being the numerous guys that practice with him all the time, from Couples to Fowler) that say shit like that.

That is good to hear.

As subtly referenced in yesterday's telecast, rumor is that Fowler, Bradley and a few other guys team up with Mickelson and take a lot of cash from the other golfers on Tuesday and Wednesday. I believe Faldo's quote was "If you knew what they were playing for in those practice rounds, you would know that Fowler is easily ready to play in the final round of a major."

this is fact. phils VERY well known to play for shittons of money in the practice rounds, and youre either very for it (fowlers a big fan of them), or very against it. its become an issue a few times with a variety of golfers who had huge money left on the hook as a result of those rounds

My understanding is that this is the source of the odd "friendship" that CBS tries to shove down our throats between Bradley and Phil and Fowler and Phil. Truth is that those guys just like playing with him for cash because despite being soft and choking often when playing for history, he is evidently an assassin when playing for dough.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:30 pm

exactly
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:36 pm

aside from an obvious rivalry, a lot of the hate between tiger & phil (who knows if it has simmered in this tiger downfall) evidently stems from a few of these matches where phil really roasted him (both chirp wise and money wise) and apparently tiger refused to pay.

tigers always seemed to me as one who can give it but cant take it.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:42 pm

Yeah, I've heard that the "Phil is a fake, he is really a dick" thing stems from the fact that he is a talker early in the week. I frankly don't give a shit if he is nice to the other players - never heard a fan say a bad thing about him.

Saw him at Winged Foot after that enormous choke job - I was about 20 feet behind him when he decided to drive it off the concessions stand - sign autographs on the practice green for little kids for a while. This was about 10 minutes after he practically broke down on the green.

Amazing that after the Masters, Phil's best major (even adding in the Player's) will be the only one he hasn't won. Guy could easily have 4-5 Opens.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:01 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Yeah, I've heard that the "Phil is a fake, he is really a dick" thing stems from the fact that he is a talker early in the week. I frankly don't give a shit if he is nice to the other players - never heard a fan say a bad thing about him.

Saw him at Winged Foot after that enormous choke job - I was about 20 feet behind him when he decided to drive it off the concessions stand - sign autographs on the practice green for little kids for a while. This was about 10 minutes after he practically broke down on the green.

Amazing that after the Masters, Phil's best major (even adding in the Player's) will be the only one he hasn't won. Guy could easily have 4-5 Opens.

shocking really. and I don't love him for chambers bay next year. plus you fight age with him every year
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:25 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Yeah, I've heard that the "Phil is a fake, he is really a dick" thing stems from the fact that he is a talker early in the week. I frankly don't give a shit if he is nice to the other players - never heard a fan say a bad thing about him.

shocking really. and I don't love him for chambers bay next year. plus you fight age with him every year

He's gotten better at links golf as he has gotten older, but his game is still the opposite of ideal for that type of tourney.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:45 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:aside from an obvious rivalry, a lot of the hate between tiger & phil (who knows if it has simmered in this tiger downfall) evidently stems from a few of these matches where phil really roasted him (both chirp wise and money wise) and apparently tiger refused to pay.

Wow. If true, Phil should give Gilbert Arenas a call.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:58 pm

always excited for a ryder cup weekend.

would love to see fowler with phil but from what it sounds like itll be all keegan
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:21 pm

Phil/Bradley v. Sergio/McIlroy. Damn
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:42 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Phil/Bradley v. Sergio/McIlroy. Damn

set the dvr
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:23 pm

played sandy burr yesterday in wayland. thought it was in good condition and from the tips 6400 yards for 40 bucks. definitely adding that to my rotation of courses around here
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Re: 2013/14/15 golf thread

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:37 pm

Sandy Burr is definitely a decent track. Played a few tournaments there - I know it gets a lot of play.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:39 pm

PS - hate the parking lot hole (9?) and the one with the net that goes straight down hill (11 or 12?)
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:27 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:PS - hate the parking lot hole (9?) and the one with the net that goes straight down hill (11 or 12?)

yeah those suck

9 is just a bad hole all around 11 sucks because they put the netting so far out into your shot line
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:02 pm

I'm doing my annual drive from boston to saratoga for labor day weekend...any course recommendations out in western mass to break up the trip (or ny state even - not counting the saratoga area) near the pike?
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:33 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:I'm doing my annual drive from boston to saratoga for labor day weekend...any course recommendations out in western mass to break up the trip (or ny state even - not counting the saratoga area) near the pike?

http://www.windingbrookcountryclub.com/about-us/
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:36 am

Probably too far off the Pike for you, but worth mentioning. http://golfthefox.com/crumpin-fox/
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:12 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Probably too far off the Pike for you, but worth mentioning. http://golfthefox.com/crumpin-fox/

saw this but to your point is too out of the way...

im gonna play the ranch in southwick which is just about half way (im a little west of saratoga)...its gotten pretty good reviews
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:33 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Probably too far off the Pike for you, but worth mentioning. http://golfthefox.com/crumpin-fox/

saw this but to your point is too out of the way...

im gonna play the ranch in southwick which is just about half way (im a little west of saratoga)...its gotten pretty good reviews

Don't know it. Haven't played much west of Worcester or east of Valatie.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:40 am

If you were playing closer to Saratoga I would recommend Hiland in Queensbury. Finishing hole there is phenomenal (actually might be the 9th) - a little bit like the 18th at Red Tail, except longer.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:08 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:I'm doing my annual drive from boston to saratoga for labor day weekend...any course recommendations out in western mass to break up the trip (or ny state even - not counting the saratoga area) near the pike?

Were you at the track or downtown SS on Sunday? I don't know what was going on but that was the worst local traffic I've seen in SS on Labor Day Weekend. We got from Boston to Thruway exit 14 in an easy 2:45, then spent 30 minutes crawling down Union Ave waiting to park. Of course, Broadway and the approaches were gridlocked as usual after the races. I can't imagine how bad it must have been for the Travers.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:01 am

Were you at the track or downtown SS on Sunday? I don't know what was going on but that was the worst local traffic I've seen in SS on Labor Day Weekend. We got from Boston to Thruway exit 14 in an easy 2:45, then spent 30 minutes crawling down Union Ave waiting to park. Of course, Broadway and the approaches were gridlocked as usual after the races. I can't imagine how bad it must have been for the Travers.

no thank god.

ive just stopped going to the track labor day weekend altogether ive gotten so tired of the traffic
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:01 am

played the ranch in southwick on the drive out to saratoga...highly highly recommended.

outstanding track
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:17 am

This ESPN article about Tiger actually explains a lot. No wonder his body failed him at such a young age...
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:38 pm

I just played Widows Walk. Your a sadist if you enjoy that course
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Sat May 04, 2019 6:59 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I just played Widows Walk. Your a sadist if you enjoy that course

The Widow Maker!!!
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby bcshater on Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:38 pm

BC grad Matt Naumec qualified for the US Open. My guess is that he had to go through local and sectional qualifying ( need to check ). A total grind making it through both qualifiers. Actually making it through both qualifiers is more difficult a task than making the 36 hole cut at the US Open imho.

Following from the Globe:

Naumec, 22, will compete in his first US Open after wrapping up his college career at Boston College this spring. He made his professional debut at the Canada Life Open, a PGA Tour Canada event, in late May.qualifies for US. Open.
Yes I am a BC fan. Proof of this is my dog's name is Baldwin.
bcshater
Campion Hall

Postby Los on Sun May 24, 2020 2:41 pm

Brady/Phil vs Manning/Tiger. Who ya got?
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun May 24, 2020 6:42 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I just played Widows Walk. Your a sadist if you enjoy that course

Never again. My old man was a 14 when I took him there and he shot like 103
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Shea Field