infield fly rule

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

infield fly rule

Postby apbc12 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:44 pm

Don't think I've ever seen it called on a ball halfway to the wall. Strange.

Also, the new wild card rule is stupid. Nothing like playing 162 games and then having one game undo the results. I guess I shouldn't expect anything different from Bud Selig.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Re: infield fly rule

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:50 pm

I like the new wild card and that was an infield fly. Has nothing to do with the infield and everything to do with the infielder. This is an ESPN created controversy over a rule that no one understands.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby apbc12 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:14 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I like the new wild card and that was an infield fly. Has nothing to do with the infield and everything to do with the infielder. This is an ESPN created controversy over a rule that no one understands.

I'm not saying it definitively was or wasn't an infield fly, and yes, I'm aware it has nothing to do with the dirt or the basepaths. I said exactly what I meant - it's odd to see it called on a ball that's 60 feet or so into the outfield. The Braves lost because they committed too many errors and left too many guys on base, but the IF fly call was still weird.

Why do you like the new WC rule? I guess it makes things exciting for one more team at the end of the year, but throwing out the results of 6 months worth of games is a dumb idea.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:45 am

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I like the new wild card and that was an infield fly. Has nothing to do with the infield and everything to do with the infielder. This is an ESPN created controversy over a rule that no one understands.

I'm not saying it definitively was or wasn't an infield fly, and yes, I'm aware it has nothing to do with the dirt or the basepaths. I said exactly what I meant - it's odd to see it called on a ball that's 60 feet or so into the outfield. The Braves lost because they committed too many errors and left too many guys on base, but the IF fly call was still weird.

Why do you like the new WC rule? I guess it makes things exciting for one more team at the end of the year, but throwing out the results of 6 months worth of games is a dumb idea.

I agree the distance is odd, but it was a very high pop up and the SS got back there with normal effort, which is the rule. If he had let it drop in front of him instead of behind him, he could still conceivably gotten a double play.

I like the new wild card because it makes winning the division important again while keeping the wild card so that more teams have a chance to make it. If you don't want your six months of finishing in a position that would not even have gotten you in the playoffs 15 years ago to not ride on one game, win your division.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby apbc12 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:17 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}: If you don't want your six months of finishing in a position that would not even have gotten you in the playoffs 15 years ago to not ride on one game, win your division.

If you don't want your six months of finishing in a position that would not even have gotten you in the playoffs ever to not get you in the playoffs now, win the wild card.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby HustlinOwl on Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:19 pm

I like the new wild card, the infield fly was a terrible call.
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Return to Shea Field