Woman in at Augusta National, your thoughts?

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Postby vegasEagle on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:05 am

Personally doesn't matter to me but does Rice even play golf?
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Re: Woman in at Augusta National, your thoughts?

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:09 am

Whats next? Letting them vote? Look how well that has worked out.

I couldnt care less, I am just glad they did it on their terms, not some lesbian, Evalike, meddling, Sandra Fluke, lefty, moonbat's.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:35 am

Agree with Duchie. Martha Burk declaring this as her own personal vindication is laughable.

They are already complaining that Augusta National hasn't invited enough women.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:30 am

I hate having women at the golf course. If they really need separate tees they should have their own separate golf courses so that we don't have to golf with them and stop at their tees.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:26 am

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:I hate having women at the golf course. If they really need separate tees they should have their own separate golf courses so that we don't have to golf with them and stop at their tees.

would this be comparable to my overall feeling towards womens basketball?... i'll pay attention, consider it a legit sport, or maybe watch my first womans game when woman use a regulation ball

(this may also be construed as a dig at yukon)
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:18 am

You are both right.

Augusta should eliminate the ladies tees in their quest for true equality.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:52 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:You are both right.

Then how would Hootie and company know when they have to whip it out after a drive?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:54 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:You are both right.

Then how would Hootie and company know when they have to whip it out after a drive?

Poor Darius Rucker...
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:59 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
I couldnt care less, I am just glad they did it on their terms, not some lesbian, Evalike, meddling, Sandra Fluke, lefty, moonbat's.

Agree, but I like that CR is one of the two which pisses off the feminazis even more than not allowing women at all.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:49 pm

i'm petitioning to be allowed into women's locker-rooms nationwide

chicks at the fitness centers in vegas are hot!!!!!!!!!!

the cause is worthwhile
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:11 pm

vegasEagle {l Wrote}:chicks at the fitness centers in vegas are hot!!!!!!!!!!

the cause is worthwhile

Do they get to write off their gym memberships as a business expense? Just curious...
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:56 pm

women on the course are the worst. not only are they rarely attractive, but they are slow, suck, talk too much and are so slow.

nothing pisses me off more than slow golf.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:28 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:women on the course are the worst. not only are they rarely attractive, but they are slow, suck, talk too much and are so slow.

nothing pisses me off more than slow golf.

i agree for the most part

one of my friends out here and my main golfing buddy is about 15 years older than me. Sometimes on the weekends he might bring his girlfriend out to play. Sure, she slows us down... extra stop at the ladies tee box and typically an extra shot on the fairway (takes her 3 to get on/near the green on a par 4 while we normally take 2 to get close)... but at the same time on the weekends when we pretty much have to wait at each tee box for the group in front to clear... whats the difference?

on the otherside of that... weekday... nobody in front of you... woman suck to play with!!!!
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:15 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:nothing pisses me off more than slow golf.

a full cooler sort of solves this problem
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:54 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:nothing pisses me off more than slow golf.

a full cooler sort of solves this problem

Not even beer can make up for 6 hours of waiting on a golf course behind a bunch of hackers that think they are Tiger Woods. I am not a good golfer anymore because I never play, but the rule of thumb is "don't play good; play fast." If you are going to take 111 swings anyway, you do not need to take an additional 222 practice swings. Just hit the friggin ball.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:06 am

It really depends where you are, but rude and numbskull play bothers me a lot more than slow/bad play in general. Obviously if I'm at Augusta, I expect the utmost respect for the game and steady play. If you suck, you suck - just keep moving and I'm fine.

I took the wife to a terrible course this weekend (not optimal for me, but I get to play more if I give her a courtesy tee time on occassion). We had to wait at every tee as this pair of man-haters were seemingly playing 3 balls apiece (insert joke) and forming neighboorhood search parties for every stray ball. Now, I expect this at a horrible course, but it doesn't make it acceptable.

So when I wasn't nudging them along with shots falling just short of their unshaven caverns, I was pushing the limits of cart noises and audible conversation. They got the picture and either completely changed their play or skipped ahead/quit as we never saw them again after 5. I didn't have to go to Defcon 1, though I gladly would have if necessary.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:31 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:It really depends where you are, but rude and numbskull play bothers me a lot more than slow/bad play in general. Obviously if I'm at Augusta, I expect the utmost respect for the game and steady play. If you suck, you suck - just keep moving and I'm fine.

I took the wife to a terrible course this weekend (not optimal for me, but I get to play more if I give her a courtesy tee time on occassion). We had to wait at every tee as this pair of man-haters were seemingly playing 3 balls apiece (insert joke) and forming neighboorhood search parties for every stray ball. Now, I expect this at a horrible course, but it doesn't make it acceptable.

So when I wasn't nudging them along with shots falling just short of their unshaven caverns, I was pushing the limits of cart noises and audible conversation. They got the picture and either completely changed their play or skipped ahead/quit as we never saw them again after 5. I didn't have to go to Defcon 1, though I gladly would have if necessary.

I definitely don't mind bad play. Unfortunately bad players are learning by watching TV instead of having their fathers tell them to keep moving.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:31 am

yeah i don't give a shit if you shoot 120 so long as you do it quickly. i hate the guys who do long preswing routines every time as if the shot is the approach on 18 on sunday at augusta.

especially when you're on a nice course. i expect occasional stupid shit to happen at newton commonwealth. its not acceptable when I'm paying a shitton to play
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:41 am

It is stuff like this that makes me hesitate to learn the game. I don't want to piss anyone off, but how am I supposed to learn if I have to rush through each shot? Is the last tee time of the day a coveted tee time and difficult to reserve?

I know there are driving ranges for a reason, but they get boring. Part of the appeal of golf is the scenery, the smell of the grass, the birds chirping... stuff you don't get at the range.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:53 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:It is stuff like this that makes me hesitate to learn the game. I don't want to piss anyone off, but how am I supposed to learn if I have to rush through each shot? Is the last tee time of the day a coveted tee time and difficult to reserve?

I know there are driving ranges for a reason, but they get boring. Part of the appeal of golf is the scenery, the smell of the grass, the birds chirping... stuff you don't get at the range.

You don't learn how to play on the course. You play on the course. Poorly or well, it does not matter. But practice on the practice range and practice green. There's a reason it's not called the Practice Course.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:57 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:yeah i don't give a shit if you shoot 120 so long as you do it quickly. i hate the guys who do long preswing routines every time as if the shot is the approach on 18 on sunday at augusta

Last year I was behind an Asian couple of the course. The wife would set up, look up at the target, look at the ball, target, ball, target, ball.... back off set up practice swing two or three times, back to the ball, target, ball, target, ball, target, ball..... Top it 10 yards forward. Immediately, reset where she had taken her swing and start practicing her missed swing two or three times like she was on tour.

Then she'd walk up to the ball, wait for her husband to drive the cart back with her bag, look at each club, decide what she wanted to hit (usually same club, because it went 5 yards forward), and then start the routine again.....

Without warning 11 holes in and about four warnings from the warden, they just took off in the cart directly at us and kept going around the whole golf course, driving in front of people's shots. Apparently they realized that she lost her cell phone at some point.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:46 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:yeah i don't give a shit if you shoot 120 so long as you do it quickly. i hate the guys who do long preswing routines every time as if the shot is the approach on 18 on sunday at augusta

Last year I was behind an Asian couple of the course. The wife would set up, look up at the target, look at the ball, target, ball, target, ball.... back off set up practice swing two or three times, back to the ball, target, ball, target, ball, target, ball..... Top it 10 yards forward. Immediately, reset where she had taken her swing and start practicing her missed swing two or three times like she was on tour.

Then she'd walk up to the ball, wait for her husband to drive the cart back with her bag, look at each club, decide what she wanted to hit (usually same club, because it went 5 yards forward), and then start the routine again.....

Without warning 11 holes in and about four warnings from the warden, they just took off in the cart directly at us and kept going around the whole golf course, driving in front of people's shots. Apparently they realized that she lost her cell phone at some point.

If this was at newton comm it doesn't surprise me at all.

If it wasn't I am interested in knowing the course
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:00 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:It is stuff like this that makes me hesitate to learn the game. I don't want to piss anyone off, but how am I supposed to learn if I have to rush through each shot? Is the last tee time of the day a coveted tee time and difficult to reserve?

Things you should know:

1. Definitely begin on a range. Repetition is how you become comfortable taking shots with various clubs and get a better understanding of your game. This is important. That said, everybody obviously wants to get on the course and thats totally understandable...pretty much everybody starts out shooting in the 100's.
2. There are definitely better times to play than others. For instance, if you want to take your time the days to go (if its a public course) are Monday - Thursday. Friday - Sunday courses are usually booked. It's hard to say the best time of the day to play as it's dependent on the location. If you're located in Boston / BC area I could be more helpful.
3. In regards to last tee time - usually it's before 5 pm. Then twilight golf starts. Twilight golf is cheaper and its pretty much play as much as you can till the sun goes down. So no, more often than not people (like myself) looking to save a few bucks are waiting till the stroke of 5 then try to get on the course to play as much as possible.
4. Once you get on the course, you will know what we mean by rush / play slow.

A standard hole for a player would be: Get to tee box, see what it is / wind and pick the club. Once you have picked the club a practice swing or two softer swings then address the ball and hit it it. Walk (by no means run or even walk at a forced pace) or drive up. Figure out how far you are, what club you want to hit, practice swing address and hit...do so till you get to the green. Once on the green take time to figure out line and slope of green, putt out, and walk off the green.

A slow player (ones were complaining about) will when players are behind them: Get to tee box, see what it is / wind and pick the club. Have 2 minute conversation with husband about what to have for dinner. Take 3 practice swings. Decide to switch clubs. Take 3 more practice swings. Address and hit ball. Walk up to ball do same thing. Until reach green. On green putt, then complain about bad putt was and put the ball down to practice same putt. Slowly walk off green. Also won't let players play through.

In situation A: You could take 10 shots and it would be faster than situation B when that individual takes 5 shots.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:58 pm

Rangers are generally old and useless. There are always exceptions but most I worked with sucked. That is one of the many things I took away from working at a mid-tier golf course for 5 or so years. Also, 8 minute tee-times suck. You can get away with it during the week. They create a mess on a nice weekend.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:23 pm

the best way to keep things moving is ready-golf.

dont wait for the group in front to clear and then choose your club. be ready to hit. when riding in a cart with someone else... get dropped off at your ball choose your club... the cart-driver goes to his ball and gets ready... you can do your practice swings while you wait for the group to clear then your ready to hit.

as far as being a beginner on the course.... dont waste your money buying expensive golf balls... your gonna lose them... if you by pro v1's at $4-$5 per ball, you're gonna spend alot of time trying to find them... cheap balls you wont care about and you can drop

also golf with an experienced golfer who's a friend... that way you're not upset when your hacking up the course and he says to pick up your ball and move on to the next hole... as a beginner you're not trying to post a score, you're trying to learn the game
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:53 pm

Off the top of my head, a couple things not already mentioned to keep your speed up to acceptable levels:

Always have extras balls within reach.
Have at least a decent idea of how far you hit each club and make adjustments for wind, elevation, and other conditions based on that.
Don't strictly adhere to the rule of furthest away plays first - he who is ready should definitely be a factor especially when distance is negligible or speed of play will be greatly hampered.
Hit provisional balls where appropriate.
Allow faster groups to play through, but go ahead and hit off the tee you're allowing them to play through on, or let them through at the turn while you piss.
If in doubt, take multiple clubs with you.
Always take your putter when you're around the green.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:50 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Last year I was behind an Asianed couple of the course. The wife would set up, look up at the target, look at the ball, target, ball, target, ball.... back off set up practice swing two or three times, back to the ball, target, ball, target, ball, target, ball..... Top it 10 yards forward. Immediately, reset where she had taken her swing and start practicing her missed swing two or three times like she was on tour.

Did she find her cell phone? This is important!
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HustlinOwl on Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:51 pm

Besides starting out on the range I'd highly recommend lessons. You're going to suck at first no matter what, so you might as well try to learn a proper swing from the beginning.

I made the kids hit a 1000 balls on the range and spend a couple hours on the practice green before I let them on the course(plus lesson).
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Return to Shea Field