Official 2012-13 Football thread

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Official 2012-13 Football thread

Postby eagle216 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:27 pm

New season opens tomorrow. Can City repeat? How well will Van Persie fit with United? Can my Toffee's take the next step? Who will win CL? Chelsea can't repeat, correct?
Post your thoughts here? :popcorn :popcorn :popcorn
eagle216
Campion Hall

Re: Official 2012-13 Football thread

Postby hansen on Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:39 pm

eagle216 {l Wrote}:New season opens tomorrow. Can City repeat? How well will Van Persie fit with United? Can my Toffee's take the next step? Who will win CL? Chelsea can't repeat, correct?

Man U have an embarrassment of riches up front. Everyone says they want to sell one of my favorite strikers, Berbatov, but apparently no one is interested. I find this surprising given his knack for scoring.

When does the Champion League group stage begin?

As for Chelsea, they signed a ton of midfield talent but they definitely are getting long in the tooth in their back 4. Oscar is going to be a star. And who's going to backup Fernando Torres? I've always liked Torres so perhaps this will be the year he puts it together for Chelsea.

I just read today that Dempsey is refusing to play for Fulham. What does that mean for his future? If he goes to a CL team, will he be a consistent first 11 guy? It would def hurt our national team if he goes to a top-club only to sit on the bench especially considering his form the past year.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle216 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:54 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
eagle216 {l Wrote}:New season opens tomorrow. Can City repeat? How well will Van Persie fit with United? Can my Toffee's take the next step? Who will win CL? Chelsea can't repeat, correct?

Man U have an embarrassment of riches up front. Everyone says they want to sell one of my favorite strikers, Berbatov, but apparently no one is interested. I find this surprising given his knack for scoring.

As for Chelsea, they signed a ton of midfield talent but they definitely are getting long in the tooth in their back 4. Oscar is going to be a star. And who's going to backup Fernando Torres? I've always liked Torres so perhaps this will be the year he puts it together for Chelsea.

I just read today that Dempsey is refusing to play for Fulham. What does that mean for his future? If he goes to a CL team, will he be a consistent first 11 guy? It would def hurt our national team if he goes to a top-club only to sit on the bench especially considering his form the past year.

Problem with Dempsey is that he doesn't really make a team better. He just scores goals. Obviously scoring goals is important, but he is the type of player that gets his, and thats it. That type will not be an every game selection for an elite CL team - maybe for a lower level CL team that gets in every so often, but not for a Man U, Man City, Arsenal, Bayern, Barca, etc. BTW, refusing to play is total clownshoes.

Berbatov is no better than United's 5th striker. Just to give you some context, I am QPR's 5th striker.

Sadly, the Manc clubs will likely run away with it again this year.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:39 pm

Yeah, fuck that guy, all he does is score goals. Soccer doesn't need that scoring shit.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:07 pm

eagle216 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Problem with Dempsey is that he doesn't really make a team better. He just scores goals. Obviously scoring goals is important, but he is the type of player that gets his, and thats it. That type will not be an every game selection for an elite CL team - maybe for a lower level CL team that gets in every so often, but not for a Man U, Man City, Arsenal, Bayern, Barca, etc. BTW, refusing to play is total clownshoes.

Berbatov is no better than United's 5th striker. Just to give you some context, I am QPR's 5th striker.

Sadly, the Manc clubs will likely run away with it again this year.

agree 100% that Dempsey's "strike" is :clownshoes

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle216 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:50 pm

Gotta love Liverpool taking it up the ass today.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:28 am

eagle216 {l Wrote}:Gotta love Liverpool taking it up the ass today.

yup, i just wish man city had followed suit. i got excited when southhampton jumped out to a huge lead but alas it was not meant to be.

looking forward to today's MAN U-everton clash. really excited to see what Fergie puts out for a starting XI... the obvious guess is RVP and either Welbeck up front to start (with Chicharito coming on as a sub for him) and rooney in the midfield.

i will have mixed feelings about this game. hard to root against Tim Howard... but i do like Man U. and i know Nani's cousin, played against him yesterday actually in a friendly... the cousin currently plays in the PDL.

are you recording it or following it live online? i know you get pissy when i post spoilers ;)

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle216 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:21 pm

Watched live. Fuckin right. But you would think that Fellaini would have at least had the courtesy of giving Carrick a reach around. Now watch us lose to villa on Saturday.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby eagle216 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:21 pm

Tough CL draw for Manchester City. Home and Home vs RM should be fun.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:52 am

eagle216 {l Wrote}:Tough CL draw for Manchester City. Home and Home vs RM should be fun.

Fxck city and their towelhead owners.... :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Return to Shea Field