All Star Game

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

All Star Game

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:07 pm

I have not seen a closeup, but is that :skank behind homeplate trying to look like Marilyn Monroe?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Re: All Star Game

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:20 am

Think so, I'll hunt for a screen grab

The allstar game is incredibly stupid
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:04 am

did anyone win? I'll watch the DVR of the AS Game right after I finish the NBA Finals and last weeks MLS Game Of The Week.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby cvilleagle on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:22 am

The Pirates won home field advantage in the World Series!
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:45 am

Not sure if it's because I've gotten older, the event has changed so much, or a combination of both, but I used to look forward to and enjoy the ASG so much during the 90s. Now I just laugh listening 40 guys lie about how they're happy to be playing an exhibition game instead of being home with their families or on vacation.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:49 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Not sure if it's because I've gotten older, the event has changed so much, or a combination of both, but I used to look forward to and enjoy the ASG so much during the 90s. Now I just laugh listening 40 guys lie about how they're happy to be playing an exhibition game instead of being home with their families or on vacation.

I used to watch every one and even attended the '93 game. Then I hit my teens and stopped caring other than glancing at the rosters to laugh at the horrible fan vote-ins and the odd managerial selections.

By the by, it shouldn't "count" for anything.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:00 am

The only redeeming quality of the ASG is that they decide home field advantage. It's no less arbitrary than the every other year nonsense. What they should do is give it to the team with the better regular season record.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:03 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Not sure if it's because I've gotten older, the event has changed so much, or a combination of both, but I used to look forward to and enjoy the ASG so much during the 90s. Now I just laugh listening 40 guys lie about how they're happy to be playing an exhibition game instead of being home with their families or on vacation.

Think it's a combination of both.

At this stage thanks to ESPN, MLB Network, MLBTV, etc I see the majority of players I want to see throughout the season so it essentially boils down to a meaningless exhibition game. Just look at what Kinsler did for Chipper, who gives a shit?

As for what should determine homefield, the league that wins interleague.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:10 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The only redeeming quality of the ASG is that they decide home field advantage.

That would make more sense if not for the fact that the NL ASG Manager is retired.

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:What they should do is give it to the team with the better regular season record.

Now that's a novel idea.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:12 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The only redeeming quality of the ASG is that they decide home field advantage. It's no less arbitrary than the every other year nonsense. What they should do is give it to the team with the better regular season record.

And subsequent tiebreakers of H2H, followed by (in some order) divison winner preference, interleague record, won division by more games...
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:22 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Think it's a combination of both.

At this stage thanks to ESPN, MLB Network, MLBTV, etc I see the majority of players I want to see throughout the season so it essentially boils down to a meaningless exhibition game. Just look at what Kinsler did for Chipper, who gives a shit?

As for what should determine homefield, the league that wins interleague.

Even as ESPN and Internet coverage of sports exploded and the players stopped caring about the ASG, at least they tried to make it entertaining. For example, Larry Walker's plate appearance versus Randy Johnson in the '97 ASG is one of the funniest moments in sports history, even if it was contrived. They had a great opportunity to do something entertaining last night after the KC fans villainized Robinson Cano, but they let it go. How funny would it have been if Cano came out to take Butler's first plate appearance or Ron Washington substituted Butler for Cano at second in the middle of an inning? I'd prefer silly nonsense like this to pretending the players still care about who wins.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Return to Shea Field