Mets Weirdos

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Mets for sale

Postby bignick33 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:07 pm

I agree with you guys. Booing him was a mistake. He probably would have stayed if they'd been offer him a (comparable?) contract.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
User avatar
bignick33
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 12825
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:31 pm
Karma: 909

Re: Mets for sale

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:43 pm

claver2010 wrote:I'm not a big booer in general though. I really don't boo my own team at all, I think the one time I did was Guillermo Mota after he came back from the steroid suspension.


I am a booer, but I don't usually boo my own team. When I do, I boo the team collectively at the end of an inning/quarter/timeout/whatever. I don't single guys out. But I boo coaching decisions and officials a lot. I have to stop myself often at BC football games because I don't want the players to think I am booing them. And I boo when opposing players question calls or act like punks. I especially like to boo when the opposing pitcher throws over to first too many times, that is my favorite. I enjoy those moments of getting caught up in the mob mentality.
hello
User avatar
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15001
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm
Location: Not tobaccoroad
Karma: 2920

Re: Mets for sale

Postby EagleNYC on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:22 am

The only time I ever booed my own team was "Terrible" Terry Mulholland back in 94. The Yankees were finally a very good (maybe great) team, and here was this bum who sucked the life out of the stadium every time he was on the mound. They were playing the Angels on a balmy summer day and my friends and I had finagled front row seats from someone's dad, in between the visitor's dugout and the protective screen. The halos were a good hitting team (Chili Davis, Tim Salmon), and he got destroyed. As he walked off the field I cut into him something fierce.

Halfway through the post I wondered if I could find the box score, and did.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA199407100.shtml

He was such an anchor on that pitching staff, I don't feel bad for booing him at all.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2111
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:11 am
Karma: 181

Re: Mets for sale

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:36 am

Imagine if it was the Mets that acquired Pineda and then this happened? All the idiots would be out.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18766
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3177

Re: Mets for sale

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:47 am

claver2010 wrote:Imagine if it was the Mets that acquired Pineda and then this happened? All the idiots would be out.


And Francesa would be laughing at them. I wonder how he is going to spin this later.

I'm actually stunned about Pineda. Shit like that never happens to the Yankees.
hello
User avatar
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15001
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm
Location: Not tobaccoroad
Karma: 2920

Re: Mets for sale

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:50 am

EagleNYC wrote:The only time I ever booed my own team was "Terrible" Terry Mulholland back in 94. The Yankees were finally a very good (maybe great) team, and here was this bum who sucked the life out of the stadium every time he was on the mound. They were playing the Angels on a balmy summer day and my friends and I had finagled front row seats from someone's dad, in between the visitor's dugout and the protective screen. The halos were a good hitting team (Chili Davis, Tim Salmon), and he got destroyed. As he walked off the field I cut into him something fierce.

Halfway through the post I wondered if I could find the box score, and did.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA199407100.shtml

He was such an anchor on that pitching staff, I don't feel bad for booing him at all.


Isn't Terry Mulholland the dude who threw his glove with the ball in it to the first basemen?
I drink whiskey instead of water.
User avatar
bignick33
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 12825
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:31 pm
Karma: 909

Re: Mets for sale

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:52 am

I think Wright's HR last night would have been in-play prior to the renovations. I hope he's happy now.
hello
User avatar
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15001
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm
Location: Not tobaccoroad
Karma: 2920

Re: Mets for sale

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:13 am

EagleNYC wrote:The only time I ever booed my own team was "Terrible" Terry Mulholland back in 94. The Yankees were finally a very good (maybe great) team, and here was this bum who sucked the life out of the stadium every time he was on the mound. They were playing the Angels on a balmy summer day and my friends and I had finagled front row seats from someone's dad, in between the visitor's dugout and the protective screen. The halos were a good hitting team (Chili Davis, Tim Salmon), and he got destroyed. As he walked off the field I cut into him something fierce.

Halfway through the post I wondered if I could find the box score, and did.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA199407100.shtml

He was such an anchor on that pitching staff, I don't feel bad for booing him at all.


I always think of Terry in a positive light because he started the only All Star Game I've ever attended. Funny enough I booed the shit out of Cito Gaston at that game.
User avatar
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 11582
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:25 pm
Location: A Chalupa Stand
Karma: 2630

Re: Mets for sale

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:19 am

DavidGordonsFoot wrote:I think Wright's HR last night would have been in-play prior to the renovations. I hope he's happy now.



He's really in a groove which is especially impressive considering there is zero protection for him in the lineup.

I think the Mets are winning 4-3 in homeruns that wouldn't have gone out last year through 12 games.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18766
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3177

Re: Mets for sale

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:02 am

Every Met in today's starting lineup is home-grown:

1) Kirk Nieuwenhuis CF
2) Ruben Tejada SS
3) Daniel Murphy 2B
4) David Wright 3B
5) Lucas Duda RF
6) Ike Davis 1B
7) Josh Thole C
8) Jordany Valdespin LF
9) Jon Niese LHP
hello
User avatar
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15001
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm
Location: Not tobaccoroad
Karma: 2920

Re: Mets for sale

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:16 am

DavidGordonsFoot wrote:Every Met in today's starting lineup is home-grown:

1) Kirk Nieuwenhuis CF
2) Ruben Tejada SS
3) Daniel Murphy 2B
4) David Wright 3B
5) Lucas Duda RF
6) Ike Davis 1B
7) Josh Thole C
8) Jordany Valdespin LF
9) Jon Niese LHP


That's pretty cool but not very good at baseball.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
User avatar
bignick33
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 12825
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:31 pm
Karma: 909

Re: Mets for sale

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:59 am

DavidGordonsFoot wrote:
claver2010 wrote:Imagine if it was the Mets that acquired Pineda and then this happened? All the idiots would be out.


And Francesa would be laughing at them. I wonder how he is going to spin this later.

I'm actually stunned about Pineda. Shit like that never happens to the Yankees.

IIRC there were arm concerns about him at the end of last year. Something about his velocity dipping significantly during the second half of the year. Though that's not the reason I avoided him in my fantasy leagues (I already posted my roster in the Gay Baseball Porn thread), it is nice to see myself vindicated.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 5575
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 82

Re: Mets for sale

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:02 pm

DavidGordonsFoot wrote:Every Met in today's starting lineup is home-grown:

1) Kirk Nieuwenhuis CF
2) Ruben Tejada SS
3) Daniel Murphy 2B
4) David Wright 3B
5) Lucas Duda RF
6) Ike Davis 1B
7) Josh Thole C
8) Jordany Valdespin LF
9) Jon Niese LHP


As Adam Rubin said, it's either a mark of a good/great farm system or not spending on FAs.

Interesting to see Valdespin as he was all the rage at Port St Lucie
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18766
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3177

Re: Mets for sale

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:04 pm

flyingelvii wrote:
DavidGordonsFoot wrote:
claver2010 wrote:Imagine if it was the Mets that acquired Pineda and then this happened? All the idiots would be out.


And Francesa would be laughing at them. I wonder how he is going to spin this later.

I'm actually stunned about Pineda. Shit like that never happens to the Yankees.

IIRC there were arm concerns about him at the end of last year. Something about his velocity dipping significantly during the second half of the year. Though that's not the reason I avoided him in my fantasy leagues (I already posted my roster in the Gay Baseball Porn thread), it is nice to see myself vindicated.



I had him as a keeper and my team sucks thus far, always nice when Reyes & Pujols haven't done shit.

As for his lack of velocity, the Yanks say it was attributed to him not pitching every 5 days (the Mariners would give him extra days opposed to keeping him on schedule and shutting him down in August)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18766
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3177

Re: Mets for sale

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:37 pm

claver2010 wrote:
flyingelvii wrote:
DavidGordonsFoot wrote:
claver2010 wrote:Imagine if it was the Mets that acquired Pineda and then this happened? All the idiots would be out.


And Francesa would be laughing at them. I wonder how he is going to spin this later.

I'm actually stunned about Pineda. Shit like that never happens to the Yankees.

IIRC there were arm concerns about him at the end of last year. Something about his velocity dipping significantly during the second half of the year. Though that's not the reason I avoided him in my fantasy leagues (I already posted my roster in the Gay Baseball Porn thread), it is nice to see myself vindicated.



I had him as a keeper and my team sucks thus far, always nice when Reyes & Pujols haven't done shit.

As for his lack of velocity, the Yanks say it was attributed to him not pitching every 5 days (the Mariners would give him extra days opposed to keeping him on schedule and shutting him down in August)

And therein lies the spin.

Edit: While on the topic of the Mets, tell Duda to stop sucking. That is all.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 5575
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 82

Re: Mets for sale

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:52 pm

What an at bat for Turner, battling back from 0-2 to extend to a 12 pitch walk
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18766
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3177

Re: Mets for sale

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:59 pm

Welcome back Jose
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18766
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3177

Re: Mets for sale

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:05 pm

claver2010 wrote:Welcome back Jose


Yo Soy Fiesta
I drink whiskey instead of water.
User avatar
bignick33
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 12825
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:31 pm
Karma: 909

Re: Mets for sale

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:32 pm

claver2010 wrote:Welcome back Jose


1-for-12
hello
User avatar
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15001
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm
Location: Not tobaccoroad
Karma: 2920

Re: Mets for sale

Postby Logitano on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:28 am

Poor poor Big Pelf. Last night's game made me sad. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2115
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:43 pm
Karma: 999

Re: Mets for sale

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:06 am

This group has a lot of fight in them.

Difficult choice for Collins tonight with Torres returning. Does he sit Hairston or Nieuwenhuis? Both are seeing the ball well. I imagine Nieuwenhuis gets the start against the righty.
hello
User avatar
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15001
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm
Location: Not tobaccoroad
Karma: 2920

Re: Mets for sale

Postby claver2010 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:27 am

DavidGordonsFoot wrote:This group has a lot of fight in them.

Difficult choice for Collins tonight with Torres returning. Does he sit Hairston or Nieuwenhuis? Both are seeing the ball well. I imagine Nieuwenhuis gets the start against the righty.


Agreed, and they get that from Collins, I really like him.

To blow a lead twice in the last few innings and battle back for the win is impressive.

I think he has to stay with Kirk who provides some energy and great fielding.

BTW, I know SAMPLE SIZE, but...
Ruben Tejada: .310 0 HR, 8 RBI, .366 OBP (21 games)
Jose Reyes: .205 0 HR, 3 RBI, .276 OBP (20 games)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18766
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3177

Re: Mets for sale

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu May 03, 2012 2:11 pm

I'd like to thank Houston for keeping us Met fans from getting too carried away.
hello
User avatar
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15001
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm
Location: Not tobaccoroad
Karma: 2920

Re: Mets for sale

Postby claver2010 on Thu May 03, 2012 2:44 pm

And this is what happens when you go cheap beyond the frontline. Your depth disappears as quick as :oj after a Caps loss.

Schwinden? Really?

At least it sounds like Collins might finds someone else to start next turn in the rotation.

Also smart they aren't rushing Harvey/Familia/Wheeler -sounds like August/Sept for a couple of starts for the former 2 and 2013 for the latter.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18766
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3177

Re: Mets for sale

Postby claver2010 on Sun May 06, 2012 7:18 am

Johan is still the stopper, gutty outing from him.

Updated:
BTW, I know SAMPLE SIZE, but...
Ruben Tejada: .291 0 HR, 8 RBI, .351 OBP, .388 SLG (26 games)
Jose Reyes: .225 0 HR, 4 RBI, .316 OBP, .333 SLG (26 games)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18766
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3177

Re: Mets for sale

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon May 07, 2012 7:38 am

claver2010 wrote:Johan is still the stopper, gutty outing from him.

Updated:
BTW, I know SAMPLE SIZE, but...
Ruben Tejada: .291 0 HR, 8 RBI, .351 OBP, .388 SLG (26 games)
Jose Reyes: .225 0 HR, 4 RBI, .316 OBP, .333 SLG (26 games)


You jinxed Tejada.

Important week coming, 6 away versus Philly and Miami. They draw Halladay and Lee in Philly, too.
hello
User avatar
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15001
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm
Location: Not tobaccoroad
Karma: 2920

Re: Mets for sale

Postby claver2010 on Mon May 07, 2012 7:54 am

I was listening to Howie while going for a run yesterday and it's the first thing I thought.

Looks like it's going to have him end up on the DL which sucks cause he's playing well and there's no one else right now (again, no depth).

Francisco makes it interesting, nothing like an 0-2 pitch to the tying run that ends a foot short of the wall.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18766
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3177

Re: Mets for sale

Postby bignick33 on Mon May 07, 2012 7:16 pm

claver2010 wrote:
DavidGordonsFoot wrote:I would have stood and clapped for his first plate appearance, but I would have booed the rest of the time. By no means does he get the Piazza treatment, but by all accounts, the Mets didn't even make him an offer. I can't hold that against Jose. I was surprised he was received so negatively (by the few dozen who chose to show up) last night.

I'll never forget when I was at Shea for Armando Benitez's first game back (with the Marlins, coincidentally enough). That's the worst I've ever heard an ex-Met booed in person.

Your question got me thinking about how Chipper Jones will be received in his last game at Citi later this year. I think enough time has passed to heal those wounds and I would clap for him. And he's a future Hall of Famer. I would not do the same for the likes of Shane Victorino.


Agreed, how by no means does he deserve the Piazza treatment. I think some of it was how Reyes handled himself on the last day of the season -that left a sour taste in people's mouths.

You could tell Reyes was definitely hurt by it, no matter what he said to the media post game. Some fans would try to start the Jose chant when he was at bat but they got booed out. He cares tremendously how he is viewed and still loves it here. He still has his house on LI and talked about how much it meant to him to have people come up to him welcoming him back when he was in the city the past couple of days.

I'm not a big booer in general though. I really don't boo my own team at all, I think the one time I did was Guillermo Mota after he came back from the steroid suspension.

As for Chipper, yeah I guess time heals all wounds. I absolutely despised him growing up but due to the Mets sucktitude it's moved towards a respect.

As for BigNick's comment, between Reyes & the Mets it's a battle of semantics. The Mets said they told Reyes to get an offer on the market and we'll see what we can do which he didn't and Reyes says they never made me an offer. Regardless his contract was too risky/expensive -they were never going to do it.


Mota was suspended for 100 games today.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
User avatar
bignick33
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 12825
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:31 pm
Karma: 909

Re: Mets for sale

Postby claver2010 on Tue May 08, 2012 7:19 am

Papeldouche imploding is the cherry on top of a great sports night.

There are few people I enjoy watching fail as much as him.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18766
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3177

Re: Mets for sale

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue May 08, 2012 8:12 am

claver2010 wrote:Papeldouche imploding is the cherry on top of a great sports night.

There are few people I enjoy watching fail as much as him.


preach on
hello
User avatar
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15001
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm
Location: Not tobaccoroad
Karma: 2920

PreviousNext

Return to Shea Field

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Untitled document