Kentucky Derby 2012

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Kentucky Derby 2012

Postby bignick33 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:49 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:My pick is Paynter.

My long shot is Five Sixteen.

I'm alive in the Pick 3. If Paynter or Five Sixteen win, I collect.

Ouch.

Yeah. I spent about a minute knelt on my TV room floor in stunned silence. I loved Paynter's position in the turn and didn't think UR would have enough track to get around him. Then Mike Smith did not drift back to the rail coming out of the turn. WTF. The rest is history.

FWIW, the Pick 3 did not end up paying much, something like $93. I was surprised considering a 6.5-1 shot won the Manhattan. I figured I was looking at a couple hundred had Paynter won. It probably would have broken $100, but not by much.

If it makes you feel any better, I lost the pick 4 on race 10 by literally a nose. Union Rags would have completed it (I had a pick 4 with UR, a pick 4 with Paynter, and a Pick 4 with Five Sixteen...among many other combinations). I would have clocked almost $1300. Ouch again.

I did hit the exacta on the Stakes, which at about $31.40/$2 bet was a nice little chuck that paid for all of the day's betting and then some. I also got very drunk for free at the Heineken beer tent, so the day was all in all a success.

Despite losing I'll Have Another, it was still a very successful day for NYRA too: http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-06/D9VAVCLG0.htm
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:06 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Ouch.

Yeah. I spent about a minute knelt on my TV room floor in stunned silence. I loved Paynter's position in the turn and didn't think UR would have enough track to get around him. Then Mike Smith did not drift back to the rail coming out of the turn. WTF. The rest is history.

FWIW, the Pick 3 did not end up paying much, something like $93. I was surprised considering a 6.5-1 shot won the Manhattan. I figured I was looking at a couple hundred had Paynter won. It probably would have broken $100, but not by much.

If it makes you feel any better, I lost the pick 4 on race 10 by literally a nose. Union Rags would have completed it (I had a pick 4 with UR, a pick 4 with Paynter, and a Pick 4 with Five Sixteen...among many other combinations). I would have clocked almost $1300. Ouch again.

I did hit the exacta on the Stakes, which at about $31.40/$2 bet was a nice little chuck that paid for all of the day's betting and then some. I also got very drunk for free at the Heineken beer tent, so the day was all in all a success.

Despite losing I'll Have Another, it was still a very successful day for NYRA too: http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-06/D9VAVCLG0.htm

Brutal. Which race was the 8th? Caixa Electronica's win? I didn't have that one, either. You should be the one posting picks here, not me.

I didn't know the exacta paid that much. I read somewhere that it only paid $16 on $2, which would have been pathetic. $31 is better, at least a three-horse box doubled your money. Would like to see a better payout in a ten horse field, but everyone and their mother apparently knew it was a three horse race, which is why I didn't play it.

But more importantly, how did you get to drink in the Heineken tent for free?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:26 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Ouch.

Brutal. Which race was the 8th? Caixa Electronica's win? I didn't have that one, either. You should be the one posting picks here, not me.

I didn't know the exacta paid that much. I read somewhere that it only paid $16 on $2, which would have been pathetic. $31 is better, at least a three-horse box doubled your money. Would like to see a better payout in a ten horse field, but everyone and their mother apparently knew it was a three horse race, which is why I didn't play it.

I'm a novice when it comes to handicapping. One of the dudes I was there with is an expert, so I leaned heavily some of his recommendations. He was heavily into Paynter as well, as were most of the insiders there. I was lucky that I decided to flip my exacta bets; he didn't and got killed.

The pick 4 combination was Tapitsfly in race 8, Trinniberg in race 9 (this is where the assurance of my buddy came in handy...he was positive that Tininberg would win despite starting the day at 10-1, so I included him in everyone of my 20-odd pick 4 combos), Desert Blanc in race 10 (Papaw Bodie came in 2nd in a very close finish), and of course Union Rags in race 11.

This is the second time that my college roommate's father has hooked us up with beer tent tickets. A friend of his works for the distributor that was running it. Six or so years ago it was Coors, which was nice because they had all the brands including Blue Moon and Killians. This type of good luck only seems to happen in non Triple Crown years.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:11 pm

Herzlich and others at Stakes Day:

hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:19 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Ouch.

I'm a novice when it comes to handicapping. One of the dudes I was there with is an expert, so I leaned heavily some of his recommendations. He was heavily into Paynter as well, as were most of the insiders there. I was lucky that I decided to flip my exacta bets; he didn't and got killed.

The pick 4 combination was Tapitsfly in race 8, Trinniberg in race 9 (this is where the assurance of my buddy came in handy...he was positive that Tininberg would win despite starting the day at 10-1, so I included him in everyone of my 20-odd pick 4 combos), Desert Blanc in race 10 (Papaw Bodie came in 2nd in a very close finish), and of course Union Rags in race 11.

This is the second time that my college roommate's father has hooked us up with beer tent tickets. A friend of his works for the distributor that was running it. Six or so years ago it was Coors, which was nice because they had all the brands including Blue Moon and Killians. This type of good luck only seems to happen in non Triple Crown years.

OK, I actually had Tapitsfly in the 8th, but had not finished handicapping the other races, so I didn't get the Pick 4 in on time.

As far as the beer tent, you're betting with house money when you've got a hook up like that. I envy you.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Previous

Return to Shea Field