Astros to the AL West

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Astros to the AL West

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:48 pm

Major League Baseball told Houston businessman Jim Crane it would not approve his purchase of the Houston Astros unless he agreed to move the team to the American League, The Associated Press has learned.

The 16/14 model was pretty fucktarded in the first place.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Re: Astros to the AL West

Postby hansen on Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:15 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Major League Baseball told Houston businessman Jim Crane it would not approve his purchase of the Houston Astros unless he agreed to move the team to the American League, The Associated Press has learned.

i read that if the Astros go to the AL West than their will be an interleague game every night.. not too excited about that.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:17 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Major League Baseball told Houston businessman Jim Crane it would not approve his purchase of the Houston Astros unless he agreed to move the team to the American League, The Associated Press has learned.

i read that if the Astros go to the AL West than their will be an interleague game every night.. not too excited about that.

how else would you handle two odd number leagues? maybe philly intern can explain THAT math to you

philly intern probably can't add 2 plus 2... i've seen enough of his math skillz for one day

* i respeck him

p and s. i thought Wang was the only Asianed in the MTBSC... apparently not because i found this photo of philly intern:

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:59 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

how else would you handle two odd number leagues? maybe philly intern can explain THAT math to you

Well, you could give one team from each league the day off every day, except during interleague play. That's one out of every 15 days. Teams already get that many off. It would be tricky because you would have to stagger series pretty carefully, but there are ways it could be done. That being said, Selig has confirmed there will just be an interleague game every day.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:33 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

Are you a baseball purist?
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:42 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Well, you could give one team from each league the day off every day, except during interleague play. That's one out of every 15 days. Teams already get that many off. It would be tricky because you would have to stagger series pretty carefully, but there are ways it could be done. That being said, Selig has confirmed there will just be an interleague game every day.

but has he CONFIRMED! it?

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:58 am

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

It still doesn't solve the problem that the NL Central has 6 teams whereas the AL West has only 4. That is the most offensive thing with this current structure. I am all for the two 15 team leagues but I don't like the extra wild cards.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:49 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

It still doesn't solve the problem that the NL Central has 6 teams whereas the AL West has only 4. That is the most offensive thing with this current structure. I am all for the two 15 team leagues but I don't like the extra wild cards.

No, that would fix it. Because that's only necessary if you go 15-15.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:29 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

15-15 is fine. The extra wild cards suck. The reason the MLB playoffs are great is because of how difficult they are to reach. While the NBA and NHL are letting in teams 12 games below .500 or with 83 points, baseball has been taking only the best of the best. And now you're talking about maybe having Thanksgiving games in places like Detroit, Boston, NY, Seattle, Philly, and Pittsburgh because of a wild card play-in series. I bet they expand the 2nd round to 7 game series too. Money, money, money.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:49 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

15-15 is fine. The extra wild cards suck. The reason the MLB playoffs are great is because of how difficult they are to reach. While the NBA and NHL are letting in teams 12 games below .500 or with 83 points, baseball has been taking only the best of the best. And now you're talking about maybe having Thanksgiving games in places like Detroit, Boston, NY, Seattle, Philly, and Pittsburgh because of a wild card play-in series. I bet they expand the 2nd round to 7 game series too. Money, money, money.

So...apparently baseball is going with a 1-game playoff between the 2 wildcard teams in each league. This is some dumb shit, but the good thing about it is re-emphasizing the importance of winning the division.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:26 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

So...apparently baseball is going with a 1-game playoff between the 2 wildcard teams in each league. This is some dumb shit, but the good thing about it is re-emphasizing the importance of winning the division.

I don't even know where to start with that. Just plain strange IMO. Why even bother?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:37 pm

I don't think Bud Selig is a very clear thinker.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Return to Shea Field