who will be the next cardinals manager?

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

who will be the next cardinals manager?

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:52 pm

manager of the cardinals is clearly one of the most glamorous positions in baseball. i'd argue it's probably the second best as the franchise is (arguably) the second most successful of all time (11 world series titles), in a place where baseball is the number 1 sport with a devoted franchise, and a fanbase/media that is extremely tame/forgiving.

so the question is who will be chosen?

p and s. i'd argue the pecking order for best managerial jobs is as follows:

1 new york - 20+ world series titles, tons of history, in a major market, 3rd most hall of famers
2 st. louis - passionate, but forgiving fan base with tons of history (2nd most hall of famers) and lots of success
3 dodgers- 6WS titles, 21pennants, 9th most hall of famers,
4 boston- 7ws titles, 12 pennants, 14th in hall of famers, passionate fanbase
5 cubs- big market; unfortunately their history is filled with failure; however, 4th most hall of famers,
6 giants- 1st in hall of famers

i gave the dodgers the nod over the redsox as managing the dodgers is a helluva lot easier than dealing with boston media/fans...

p and p and s. the hall of famer stats came from here.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Re: who will be the next cardinals manager?

Postby bignick33 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:31 pm

With their currently shut-fucked ownership situation and a justifiably alienated fanbase, I'd rate the Dodgers' job as last in MLB. Who in their right mind would want to walk into that dysfunctional situation??
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:49 pm

I will give you that St. Louis might be a better job than Boston because they have less pressure from their Cub-fans lite, but the idea that the Dodger job is better is retarded.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:52 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I will give you that St. Louis might be a better job than Boston because they have less pressure from their Cub-fans lite, but the idea that the Dodger job is better is retarded.

I wasn't really considering ownership groups in the argument... just past success, fan support, media presence, market size. i must also admit i was bored at work and trolling a bit to see how the red sox fans would react.

that said, historically, i do think the LA job is a good one although maybe not at the moment.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:00 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I will give you that St. Louis might be a better job than Boston because they have less pressure from their Cub-fans lite, but the idea that the Dodger job is better is retarded.

I wasn't really considering ownership groups in the argument... just past success, fan support, media presence, market size. i must also admit i was bored at work and trolling a bit to see how the red sox fans would react.

that said, historically, i do think the LA job is a good one although maybe not at the moment.

Fan support for the Dodgers is epically awful. They haven't had any success since the late 80's, and no one in the LA media gives a shit about any team other than the Lakers, UCLA hoop and USC football - they can't even keep a pro football franchise for fuck's sake. It's a big market, but that means about as much to a manager as the Hall of Famers that used to play there.

The Dodgers job is one of the worst in baseball in good times, and at the moment, may be the worst in all of sports.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:48 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Fan support for the Dodgers is epically awful. They haven't had any success since the late 80's, and no one in the LA media gives a shit about any team other than the Lakers, UCLA hoop and USC football - they can't even keep a pro football franchise for fuck's sake. It's a big market, but that means about as much to a manager as the Hall of Famers that used to play there.

The Dodgers job is one of the worst in baseball in good times, and at the moment, may be the worst in all of sports.

well, that's only because al davis died

Al Davis has a lot in common with the current owner of the Dodgers, Bud Selig.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:58 pm

stl post-dispatch has identified the following candidates so far:

francona
maddon of TB (suppposedly, has a keen interest in the job)
mattingly of LA (TLR thinks highly of him)
jim riggleman of nationals (has worked previously with the cardinals)
terry pendleton of braves (former cardinals player)
joe petinni (cards bench coach)
jose oquendo (3B coach)

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:02 pm

... Mike Matheny former catcher for the cardinals

after Francona appeared more interested in the Cubs job, i figured it would either be Matheny or Ryne Sanberg. other candidates were 3b jose oquendo, minor league manager chris maloney, and whitesox instructor joe mcewing. all but sanberg and francona have cardinal ties.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:27 pm

Matheny is very experienced...cathchers do often make good managers, though.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Return to Shea Field