Free Agent Thread

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Free Agent Thread

Postby bignick33 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:16 pm

The new Collective Bargaining Agreement was announced today. Of interest to the Red Sox, relievers will no longer be classified as Type A free-agents under any circumstances. As I understand it, this means that the compensation needed to sign Cordero, Bell, Madson, Nathan (who signed with Texas last night) will no longer be two first round picks. It will be less than that. I think this increases the liklihood that the Red Sox sign one of these headliner closers, because they've always been very hesitant to part with their high draft picks.

This is also interesting from the perspective that the old agreement applies to the Phillies' signing of Papelbon, and as a result they will be on the hook for the two picks.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/11/2 ... agreement/
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:10 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:The new Collective Bargaining Agreement was announced today. Of interest to the Red Sox, relievers will no longer be classified as Type A free-agents under any circumstances. As I understand it, this means that the compensation needed to sign Cordero, Bell, Madson, Nathan (who signed with Texas last night) will no longer be two first round picks. It will be less than that. I think this increases the liklihood that the Red Sox sign one of these headliner closers, because they've always been very hesitant to part with their high draft picks.

This is also interesting from the perspective that the old agreement applies to the Phillies' signing of Papelbon, and as a result they will be on the hook for the two picks.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/11/2 ... agreement/

The draft pick changes take effect in 2013.

This article is a better primer on the changes.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:03 am

Baseball is screwing its talent pool and its small market teams with the new draft slotting rules.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby shockdoct on Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:26 pm

Baseball is going to lose a lot of athletes to other sports with these new drafting rules. The one thing baseball could offer a kid over football/basketball was millions (or several hundred thousand dollars) of legitimate money at age 18 (not the pennies they get after it was funneled via handlers).

I can see why the union did it. They want more money spent on FAs and less on prospects, but damn they should just cut the draft to 20 rounds now.

I really wonder how this impacts the academies in DR that teams have spent heavily on in the last few years. High Revenue teams could have 1.8MM max to spend internationally unless they acquire more from other teams? What is the point of running an academy at that point?
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:36 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Baseball is screwing its talent pool and its small market teams with the new draft slotting rules.

I don't agree with the latter remark. Developing a slotting system makes it a lot more affordable for teams to sign difficult players as there is now a max that they can get based on where they are selected. Prior to this change, a superstar 5 tool prospect rep'd be Bor-ass could demand anything he wanted to the point that only teams with a lot of money could sign these types of players.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:35 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Baseball is screwing its talent pool and its small market teams with the new draft slotting rules.

I don't agree with the latter remark. Developing a slotting system makes it a lot more affordable for teams to sign difficult players as there is now a max that they can get based on where they are selected. Prior to this change, a superstar 5 tool prospect rep'd be Bor-ass could demand anything he wanted to the point that only teams with a lot of money could sign these types of players.

The small market teams have been some of the biggest spenders on the draft over the last few years. Smarter than going through free agency, which has been proven time and time again to be the least efficient use of resources.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:42 pm

The Cubs are off to a smashing start with Theo. David DeJesus????? :roll:
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:47 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:The Cubs are off to a smashing start with Theo. David DeJesus????? :roll:

Well...he tried to acquire him around the trade deadline, so it's good to see that he finally got his man.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:50 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:The Cubs are off to a smashing start with Theo. David DeJesus????? :roll:

Didn't you know that he's the next poor man's Johnny Damon?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:50 pm

"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:09 pm

Marlins offer Reyes 6 for 111.

Goodbye Reyes
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:56 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Marlins offer Reyes 6 for 111.

Goodbye Reyes

18.5 a year to a guy who hasn't had a 150 game season since 2008 and took 8 seasons to reach his full potential, which coincidentally enough was a contract year.

I can be as sentimental as they come, but the Mets would be crazy to match this. They've basically said they don't have the budget for such a deal, but even if they did, I'd rather see them go after CJ Wilson, who I don't even think is that good, but this rotation has a ton of question marks and he would go a long way to providing stability.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:06 pm

It makes absolutely zero sense to give him that especially on a team that is already burdened with terrible backend contracts.

Just very very weird.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:39 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:It makes absolutely zero sense to give him that especially on a team that is already burdened with terrible backend contracts.

Just very very weird.

I don't know much about Hanley Ramirez, but I don't think it will end will with him being asked to change positions. I do not expect him and his ego to handle this as well as A-Rod did.

The worst thing about losing Reyes is that he used to kill Philly and Atlanta. Our loss is very much their gain.

As far as the next SS for the Mets, I guess Tejada's growth at the plate has earned him the starting job, though in the 41 games he played at SS last season, he committed 8 errors. That projects to over 30 in a full season, and that will not sit well with Citi Field boo-birds.

The papers are saying Pagan will lead off now. He's got good speed, but I don't think he gets on base often enough for it to make him dangerous. A very ho-hum guy in the lead off slot, which tells you a lot about the state of this team.

This team has no fucking pop. Bay is washed up, Beltran is gone, and Wright and Davis barely combined for 500 ABs. Moving the outfield walls in will only make it easier on the visitors.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:58 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:It makes absolutely zero sense to give him that especially on a team that is already burdened with terrible backend contracts.

Just very very weird.

I don't know much about Hanley Ramirez, but I don't think it will end will with him being asked to change positions. I do not expect him and his ego to handle this as well as A-Rod did.

The worst thing about losing Reyes is that he used to kill Philly and Atlanta. Our loss is very much their gain.

As far as the next SS for the Mets, I guess Tejada's growth at the plate has earned him the starting job, though in the 41 games he played at SS last season, he committed 8 errors. That projects to over 30 in a full season, and that will not sit well with Citi Field boo-birds.

The papers are saying Pagan will lead off now. He's got good speed, but I don't think he gets on base often enough for it to make him dangerous. A very ho-hum guy in the lead off slot, which tells you a lot about the state of this team.

This team has no fucking pop. Bay is washed up, Beltran is gone, and Wright and Davis barely combined for 500 ABs. Moving the outfield walls in will only make it easier on the visitors.

In the end, the Marlins will probably get 3.5 healthy years out of Reyes, that wasn't worth 110 MM for the Mets and in their situation I agree.

I like Tejada as a player so we'll see. But yeah not a ton of pop at all. Minaya burdened this franchise with so much dead weight it's absurd.

It's now waiting for the young arms of Mejia, Harvey, Wheeler, & Familia to be ready.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:50 am

I'm actually surprised that Reyes wasn't able to successfully able to use the contract that Crawford got as a baseline for his negotiations.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:22 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Marlins offer Reyes 6 for 111.

Goodbye Reyes

I think they're planning to forgo the world series this time and skip right to the fire sale in the middle of this season.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:01 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

DeJesus is a decent player. Certain upgrade over Fukodome
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:18 am

ummm, so the Marlins seem like real players for Pujols. What's going on?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:46 pm

Apparently they have the authority to push their payroll up to $100M and, if they sign Pujols, they'll have $90M tied up in 6 guys. So it will be fun to see a team spend $10M on the 19 remaining players. Go Marlins Go!
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:18 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I'm an upgrade over the Fuckudome.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:55 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I'm an upgrade over the Fuckudome.

You couldn't hit .100 in the majors. Defense is probably a wash.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:52 am

So apparently Hanley isn't exactly open to changing positions, I guess he didn't get the memo that he's a terrible SS.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:10 am

This will end well. At least it will open up money for the Marlins to pay more than $10M for 19 players if they get Pujols. So that's good for them.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:31 am

Well we have been hearing about this surprise team recently but 10 for 250 to the Angels? Holy crap, Albert getting paid 25 MM when he's 41 (but really 43)?

In the words of 74

ENJOY!
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:31 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:So apparently Hanley isn't exactly open to changing positions, I guess he didn't get the memo that he's a terrible SS.

Hanley Ramirez to the Red Sox for Bard, Ingelias, Kalish and a mid-tier prospect. Just a thought.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:33 am

Moreno throwing $$ around like Jeff Lauria

CJ Wilson to the Angels 5 for 77
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:46 am

One of the news flashes on Sports Hub said that the Red Sox offered Reddick and some prospects to Oakland for Andrew Bailey.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:57 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:One of the news flashes on Sports Hub said that the Red Sox offered Reddick and some prospects to Oakland for Andrew Bailey.

I'm not a big fan of Andrew Bailey. Big-time injury risk and doesn't even get above 1 for K/IP
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:58 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Moreno throwing $$ around like Jeff Lauria

CJ Wilson to the Angels 5 for 77

I actually think this is one of the more reasonable deals signed this off-season. He signed for less than Burnett and Lackey signed for, and he could easily have argued for more by comparison. Makes it hard to believe the Yanks had serious interest.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Shea Field