Free Agent Thread

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Free Agent Thread

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:02 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:One of the news flashes on Sports Hub said that the Red Sox offered Reddick and some prospects to Oakland for Andrew Bailey.

I'm not a big fan of Andrew Bailey. Big-time injury risk and doesn't even get above 1 for K/IP

CARMINE is smarter than you. The Trio suggest you STFU.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:19 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Moreno throwing $$ around like Jeff Lauria

CJ Wilson to the Angels 5 for 77

I actually think this is one of the more reasonable deals signed this off-season. He signed for less than Burnett and Lackey signed for, and he could easily have argued for more by comparison. Makes it hard to believe the Yanks had serious interest.

Buehrle's deal was also good considering he's an absolute horse (11 years of 200+ IP if I recall correctly) and is moving to the NL and a stadium that's supposed to be a big pitcher's park.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:28 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

I actually think this is one of the more reasonable deals signed this off-season. He signed for less than Burnett and Lackey signed for, and he could easily have argued for more by comparison. Makes it hard to believe the Yanks had serious interest.

Buehrle's deal was also good considering he's an absolute horse (11 years of 200+ IP if I recall correctly) and is moving to the NL and a stadium that's supposed to be a big pitcher's park.

I don't think it's a great signing. He's 32. I would say that many of those 11 years the AL Central has had no better hitting than the NL East.
EDIT: plus 200+ over 11 years is a lot of innings, even for a non-K heavy guy.
Last edited by pick6pedro on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:40 pm

Agreed it is a fair deal, I'm just surprised they signed it right after Pujols. I am surprised the Yankees weren't more in on him.

In other news, they're trying to give AJ Burnett away to no avail.

Since he was a FA and there are some Mets fans in this thread, apparently there are many who believe that Reyes will never last 6 years in Miami. His contract is very backloaded (he's getting paid less in 2012 by Miami than he was in 2011 by the metropolitans) which would make him a likely candidate to be shipped to a big market club in a couple of years (Yankees? :gun )
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:11 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

I don't think it's a great signing. He's 32. I would say that many of those 11 years the AL Central has had no better hitting than the NL East.
EDIT: plus 200+ over 11 years is a lot of innings, even for a non-K heavy guy.

The Cell is one of the better hitting parks, at least HR hitting parks in the league. I think the rest are more or less neutral aside from Target Field, but that's new anyways. And it's probably a bit of an overpay but I'd rather overpay for Buehrle than Wilson or pretty much any other pitcher on the market. Lesson as always, getting guys through free agency will almost always require a massive overpay.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:57 pm

Angels sign Pujols.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/12/angels-reach-10-year-deal-with-albert-pujols.html?track=icymi

EDIT: I guess I'm behind the times but I hadn't seen a link.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:03 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Since he was a FA and there are some Mets fans in this thread, apparently there are many who believe that Reyes will never last 6 years in Miami. His contract is very backloaded (he's getting paid less in 2012 by Miami than he was in 2011 by the metropolitans) which would make him a likely candidate to be shipped to a big market club in a couple of years (Yankees? :gun )

I've heard this theory, too. Do you read Metsblog.com? That's where I first heard it. An unnamed agent told the creator of the blog that the structure of Reyes' contract lines up nicely with that of Jeter's and Jeter's buyout clause. The only solace I take from this is that will be around the time I expect Reyes' to begin to lose a step or two, at which point he becomes a lot less dangerous.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:16 pm

All the noise the Marlins are making reminds me of that '97 team they build and then blew up. Just look at this roster. Bonilla, Sheffield, Alou, Renteria, Leiter, Brown, Nen, Daulton, Counsell, Hernandez...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/FLA/1997.shtml
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:50 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:All the noise the Marlins are making reminds me of that '97 team they build and then blew up. Just look at this roster. Bonilla, Sheffield, Alou, Renteria, Leiter, Brown, Nen, Daulton, Counsell, Hernandez...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/FLA/1997.shtml

It's so easy to get lost in that site. After clicking on your link, I spent fifteen minutes marveling that Jeff Conine really did have a 17 year career, that he was 31 on that '97 team while Renteria was the starting SS at 20 years old (!), and was back again at age 37 in time to win another WS ring.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:05 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

I've heard this theory, too. Do you read Metsblog.com? That's where I first heard it. An unnamed agent told the creator of the blog that the structure of Reyes' contract lines up nicely with that of Jeter's and Jeter's buyout clause. The only solace I take from this is that will be around the time I expect Reyes' to begin to lose a step or two, at which point he becomes a lot less dangerous.

I do read metsblog, really like Matt Cerrone's writing and like what he's done (take essentially a college project or hobby and turning it into a widely read blog, connection through SNY, and other gigs). I read it elsewhere about the big market and then he connected it to the Yanks.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:18 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

I do read metsblog, really like Matt Cerrone's writing and like what he's done (take essentially a college project or hobby and turning it into a widely read blog, connection through SNY, and other gigs). I read it elsewhere about the big market and then he connected it to the Yanks.

I also really like Cerrone's writing and I'm impressed he managed to parlay a fansite into a full-fledged media career. He's had his share of struggles that have hurt the site at times (namely the battles with SNY over creative control), and I found that three-year period where he was constantly tweaking the comments section irritating and overtly-sensitive of him, but Cerrone is the first person I want to read whenever something of note happens with the Mets, good or bad.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:43 pm

I've also read the theory that Loria will sell the team in a couple of years, hence the backloading. Get a new taxpayer-financed stadium, sign some big names to get excitement going around the team, change the uniforms, step 4, profit.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:32 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:So apparently Hanley isn't exactly open to changing positions, I guess he didn't get the memo that he's a terrible SS.

Hanley Ramirez to the Red Sox for Bard, Ingelias, Kalish and a mid-tier prospect. Just a thought.

Why not involve Beckett?
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:01 pm

phillies signed dontrelle willis as a reliever, kind of weird.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:24 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:phillies signed dontrelle willis as a reliever, kind of weird.

NL race over, that put them over the top.

Hey maybe he can play left field for them?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:12 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:phillies signed dontrelle willis as a reliever, kind of weird.

didn't he bat like .380 or something ridiculous as a ph last year?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:43 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:The Cubs are off to a smashing start with Theo. David DeJesus????? :roll:

Didn't you know that he's the next poor man's Johnny Damon?

DeJesus is a decent player. Certain upgrade over Fukodome

I'm an upgrade over the Fuckudome.

You couldn't hit .100 in the majors. Defense is probably a wash.

I'm at the tail end of my career, but this is utter horseshit. I'd still hit around the Mendoza line. Pitchers that can't walk and chew gum with a bat in their hands still hit .150.

The difference between a great hitter and bad hitter that doesn't belong in the majors is less than 50 hits over the course of a season.

Most good high school baseball players have seen 90+ fastballs. the difference between hitting .210 and .320 is what you do with the curve.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:45 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

didn't he bat like .380 or something ridiculous as a ph last year?

Yeah he hit .387 last year. I think his best hitting season was 2007, hit .286 had an OPS of .856. Had 3 triples & 2 homers in 63 ABs.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:52 am

So $51 MM to talk to the asianed pitcher?

Cause that's worked out so well before
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:34 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:The Cubs are off to a smashing start with Theo. David DeJesus????? :roll:

I'm at the tail end of my career, but this is utter horseshit. I'd still hit around the Mendoza line. Pitchers that can't walk and chew gum with a bat in their hands still hit .150.

The difference between a great hitter and bad hitter that doesn't belong in the majors is less than 50 hits over the course of a season.

Most good high school baseball players have seen 90+ fastballs. the difference between hitting .210 and .320 is what you do with the curve.

I'd love to try and see you hit a 95 mph fastball or a MLB Curveball.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:31 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I'd love to try and see you hit a 95 mph fastball or a MLB Curveball.

It has already happened. You sound like a clown. Good high school pitchers in baseball rich areas break 90 regularly, and several from my high school (3 I believe within the 5 years before and after me) have at least gotten a cup of coffee in the bigs. The pitcher from my big rival in high school was the 10th round pick of the Red Sox in 1991, and the left fielder on our all county team went in the first round to the Sox the same year and was later traded for Rick Aguilera. He couldn't hit a curve, so he should have taken the football schollie to play RB at Oklahoma State.

Oh, and I had decent stats against Dave Fleming, who won 17 games for the Mariners in 1993 or so. He only threw 85-87 or so, but man did he have a curve.

You sound like a clown. The velocity is irrelevant. We had a kid throw 92 or 93 in HS but we could tee off on him because his ball didn't move and that was in the era before the straight change was popular. Man did it hurt the hand catching him, however.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:50 pm

Cardinals sign Beltran for 2 yrs / 13 million per season.

I think it's a good signing for a lineup needing to replace some power lost due to Pujols departure.

thoughts?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:09 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Cardinals sign Beltran for 2 yrs / 13 million per season.

I think it's a good signing for a lineup needing to replace some power lost due to Pujols departure.

thoughts?

Like the signing though I'm a bit worried about his ability to play the field. Would have liked him on the Sox as a DH/OF, though he'd be lost in RF and it'd be hard to put him in left due to Crawford's arm. Low-risk, high-reward signing.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:46 am

hansen {l Wrote}:Cardinals sign Beltran for 2 yrs / 13 million per season.

thoughts?

i guess STL has money to burn after losing out on pujols, but that is a lot more money than I thought Beltran would command given his recent injury history, especially in the NL where he can't DH.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:41 pm

Bailey to the Sox
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:20 pm

So apparently the Marlins are close to acquiring Carlos Zambrano, I'm sure that'll end up well. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:47 am

The Mad Dog signed with the Reds on a one-year deal worth $8.5 million.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:27 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:The Mad Dog signed with the Reds on a one-year deal worth $8.5 million.

phillies get # 14 pick in the draft, highest they would draft since 2002 or 2003. They will probably trade it.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:28 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:The Mad Dog signed with the Reds on a one-year deal worth $8.5 million.

phillies get # 14 pick in the draft, highest they would draft since 2002 or 2003. They will probably trade it.

You can't trade picks in baseball.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:14 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

You can't trade picks in baseball.

hmm. then they will draft someone and immediately trade him. I didn't know that.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Shea Field