cards make the playoffs!

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: cards make the playoffs!

Postby bignick33 on Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:31 pm

campion {l Wrote}:I hope for Cards and Tigers. Can Detroit dig themselves out?

I like the Tigers. Always have. I grew up hearing stories from my old man about the 1968 team that beat the Cards in the 1968 World Series behind Al Kaline and helped bring temporary peace to a decimated city.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:34 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Sports blow.

Not to be a dick, but the general sense of entitlement of Phillies fans this year may have even exceeded that of Red Sox fans. So, I am not displeased by their early exit.

pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:40 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Not to be a dick, but the general sense of entitlement of Phillies fans this year may have even exceeded that of Red Sox fans.

I don't see it.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:41 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Not to be a dick, but the general sense of entitlement of Phillies fans this year may have even exceeded that of Red Sox fans.

I don't see it.

That being said, the article in SI a couple weeks ago about how the Phillies have taken over the city was pretty cool. I think it was in the issue that the Bills were on the cover.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:14 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Not to be a dick, but the general sense of entitlement of Phillies fans this year may have even exceeded that of Red Sox fans. So, I am not displeased by their early exit.

Having grown up here in Philly and suffered through years of shitty baseball, I have to say I smile when seeing statements like this. I still can't believe people hate us because of our success. We still can't believe the string of good fortune we've had the past few years. And it's taken some time to learn to expect to win. The problem is that the window for success is starting to close as the core group who got us here (Rolllins and Utley to name two) begin to slowly decline. 2008 is starting to seem like a very long time ago.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:20 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Having grown up here in Philly and suffered through years of shitty baseball, I have to say I smile when seeing statements like this. I still can't believe people hate us because of our success. We still can't believe the string of good fortune we've had the past few years. And it's taken some time to learn to expect to win. The problem is that the window for success is starting to close as the core group who got us here (Rolllins and Utley to name two) begin to slowly decline. 2008 is starting to seem like a very long time ago.

I don't hate the Phillies or their fans, and if I weren't a Red Sox fan, I'd feel the same way about us (I thought I made that clear too). So throw that comment out the window. I was just making an observation that all the Phillies fans I know are legitimately shocked that they didn't win the World Series. They're blindsided by it. That being said, your point about dealing with their suckitude forever is well-taken. Don't forget that as a Boston fan born in the early 80s, I didn't see a championship in my childhood either, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

In any event, it wasn't meant to be mean-spirited, and I hope people from Philly don't start apologizing for the fact that they'll be the favorite to win the pennant for at least the next couple of years, either.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:05 pm

Ron Darling talking about Mark Kotsay in the two hole made me think of this.

"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby EagleNYC on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:37 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

I don't hate the Phillies or their fans, and if I weren't a Red Sox fan, I'd feel the same way about us (I thought I made that clear too). So throw that comment out the window. I was just making an observation that all the Phillies fans I know are legitimately shocked that they didn't win the World Series. They're blindsided by it. That being said, your point about dealing with their suckitude forever is well-taken. Don't forget that as a Boston fan born in the early 80s, I didn't see a championship in my childhood either, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

In any event, it wasn't meant to be mean-spirited, and I hope people from Philly don't start apologizing for the fact that they'll be the favorite to win the pennant for at least the next couple of years, either.

Philly sports were so bad for so long (often truly terrible, not just a lack of championships) that I completely understand the sentiment behind thse posts. Red Sox fans pre-2004 had the history of 1918 spliced with coming so close every generation, yet failing. It was a painful narrative that really can't be overstated (try as the press did). Philly fans had 1980 and lots of bad teams, with some memorable ones and some total chokes thrown in. Naturally, the Cubs and Chi Sox fans had/have their droughts as well. All of those situations sucked the life out of fans as a group.

Sports can be very personal too. Think of the 25 y/o ND graduate that claims all of the past football glory for his own, but is sickened by the current state of affairs. For me, I grew up rooting for Don Mattingly and loved old timer's day, but Mel Hall didn't bring in any rings, so until 1996 I was a pretty miserable prick of a fan. Up to that time, there was no question that a Mets fan my age had enjoyed a much more enjoyable fan experience from birth. Things have changed.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:50 pm

go crazy folks! cards in the world series!!

so how good is Texas? I pretty much just watch NL baseball; i only read AL boxscores (unless sox/yanks are playing other) so i know next to nothing about the rangers.... can anyone break them down? i've read their relievers are very good...
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:05 am

hansen {l Wrote}:go crazy folks! cards in the world series!!

so how good is Texas? I pretty much just watch NL baseball; i only read AL boxscores (unless sox/yanks are playing other) so i know next to nothing about the rangers.... can anyone break them down? i've read their relievers are very good...

I don't watch a ton of Texas (I have a feeling the ratings are going to be absolutely brutal for this series) but I do know they have an excellent bullpen with Feliz, Ogando, Gonzalez, etc.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:58 pm

The pitching in game 2 is excellent. Garcia with a shutout thru 7 and Lewis scoreless thru 6.... Good game

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:06 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:The pitching in game 2 is excellent. Garcia with a shutout thru 7 and Lewis scoreless thru 6.... Good game

The Cards got LaRussa'd. You live and die with Motte, and if you lose so be it. Now, you lost and your closer thinks the manager has no confidence in him.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:54 am

Can't stand LaRussa but great game last night -too bad about 35 people watched.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:43 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:The pitching in game 2 is excellent. Garcia with a shutout thru 7 and Lewis scoreless thru 6.... Good game

The Cards got LaRussa'd. You live and die with Motte, and if you lose so be it. Now, you lost and your closer thinks the manager has no confidence in him.

Not going to pretend I watch a lot of Cards games, but I never understood why LaRussa demoted Salas to begin with. Their ERA, WHIP, K/9 and K/BB are nearly identical and Salas converted a better percentage of his opportunities. Motte has the overall experience edge, but not in this role, just 3 career saves prior to this season. I don't get it.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:36 am

hate baseball
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:18 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Not going to pretend I watch a lot of Cards games, but I never understood why LaRussa demoted Salas to begin with. Their ERA, WHIP, K/9 and K/BB are nearly identical and Salas converted a better percentage of his opportunities. Motte has the overall experience edge, but not in this role, just 3 career saves prior to this season. I don't get it.

Tony LaRussa trying to show everyone how smart he is.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:55 pm

it really sucks to lose a game in the ninth inning of the world series. :(

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:23 pm

There are some total foxes in Arlington tonight... :skank

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:43 pm

I really can't stand Kyle Lohse. He is arguably the worst cardinal of all time....

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:30 pm

Sorry, didn't even realize there was a baseball game on tonight.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:05 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Sorry, didn't even realize there was a baseball game on tonight.

there wasn't a baseball game. but there was a football contest. cards won by 3 FGs, 16-7.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:17 pm

Tony LaRussa is such a clown. He just called me in to pitch lefty in the 7th.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:52 am

Yesterday's game was probably the most painful game i've seen in some time...

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:17 pm

Is there any worse feeling than watching an elimination playoff game, your team down 3+ runs with only a handful of outs left, and feeling hopeless because your team hasn't hit a lick all game? :(

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:11 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Is there any worse feeling than watching an elimination playoff game, your team down 3+ runs with only a handful of outs left, and feeling hopeless because your team hasn't hit a lick all game? :(

Been there, done that. Last time was the 2004 ALCS.

These two teams are making up for that abortion that was the first 5-6 innings.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:28 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:Is there any worse feeling than watching an elimination playoff game, your team down 3+ runs with only a handful of outs left, and feeling hopeless because your team hasn't hit a lick all game? :(

The first error plagued innings were painful to watch...

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:43 pm

wow

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:14 am

Anybody else rooting for the Rangers due to dislike of Tony LaRussa?
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:26 am

apbc12 {l Wrote}:Anybody else rooting for the Rangers due to dislike of Tony LaRussa?

No real rooting interest (usually root for NL teams cause it's real baseball) but I can't stand LaRussa.

Fell asleep last night in the top of the 8th
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:38 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Game 6 of 2008 ALCS...
bignick33
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Shea Field