cards make the playoffs!

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: cards make the playoffs!

Postby hansen on Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:59 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:Anybody else rooting for the Rangers due to dislike of Tony LaRussa?

mine's more dislike of hansen but i'll join your cause

does this mean i am not invited to the wedding? :P
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:22 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:Anybody else rooting for the Rangers due to dislike of Tony LaRussa?

mine's more dislike of hansen but i'll join your cause

does this mean i am not invited to the wedding? :P

At least TRE's brothers probably like you, because they hate him and therefore like anything he hates.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:30 pm

The after innings music remind me of the music from this video

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:44 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:The after innings music remind me of the music from this video

You may never see a BC team that talented.

Ryan, Callender, Purvis, Gunnell and BRob, McCluskey, Cherilus, Castonzo, Claiborne, Tennant, Rollins, Silva, Bowman, Akins, Herzy, Mac, Brace, Giles, Albright, Francois...

Team was fucking loaded.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:58 pm

I'm seprised no has yet compared the Rangers to the early 90s Bills.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:00 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:I'm seprised no has yet compared the Rangers to the early 90s Bills.

me is also.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:01 pm

FYI, these two Cardinal fucking douchebags announcing the game are utterly intolerable. Buck just blows and McCarver is an idiot of epic proportions.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:04 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:I'm seprised no has yet compared the Rangers to the early 90s Bills.

me is also.

If I were Spaz, I would blame the auto-correct.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:25 pm

Cards are a bunch of winners.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:40 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Cards are a bunch of winners.

For the idiot LaRussa to be the best manager in the World Series is amazing.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:45 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:FYI, these two Cardinal fucking douchebags announcing the game are utterly intolerable. Buck just blows and McCarver is an idiot of epic proportions.

McCarver is senile. I grew up listening to Buck so I guess I am immune to him by now.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:47 pm

This team embodies the "play like a cardinal" mantra like none I have seen. They may not be the most talented team ever but they refuse to quit, play a hard nine every night, and somehow find a way to win.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:50 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

This team embodies the "play like a cardinal" mantra like none I have seen. They may not be the most talented team ever but they refuse to quit, play a hard nine every night, and somehow find a way to win.

I give them all the credit in the world. They won in spite of the fact that their manager had money on the Rangers.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:50 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

I give them all the credit in the world. They won in spite of the fact that their manager had money on the Rangers.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:51 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Given the lack of starting pitching on this team, he managed this team as well as any manager could. He found a way to make a rotation out of carpenter and a couple of other guys. He made all the right moves. :kudos

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:00 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Given the lack of starting pitching on this team, he managed this team as well as any manager could. He found a way to make a rotation out of carpenter and a couple of other guys. He made all the right moves. :kudos

He got lucky with rain and managed the bullpen like a fucking retard. The series should have been over in 5 so he didn't have to worry about praying for rain so that his only starter could go in Game 7.

That is all.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:09 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

He got lucky with rain and managed the bullpen like a fucking retard. The series should have been over in 5 so he didn't have to worry about praying for rain so that his only starter could go in Game 7.

That is all.

The bullpen disaster in game 5 was a mess but otherwise imo he made all the right moves. I actually think the fact that carpenter is the only starter (with slight apologies to Garcia and others) and somehow was able to mix and match relievers to get though a 7 game series. E.g. In the NLCS, the relievers hrew as many innings as the starters. That's unheard of if not amazing.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:13 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

That is all.

The bullpen disaster in game 5 was a mess but otherwise imo he made all the right moves. I actually think the fact that carpenter is the only starter (with slight apologies to Garcia and others) and somehow was able to mix and match relievers to get though a 7 game series. E.g. In the NLCS, the relievers hrew as many innings as the starters. That's unheard of if not amazing.

I have no horse in this race at all. I watched most of the series. LaRussa is a complete idiot.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:33 am

and LaRussa will manage no more. I will not lose sleep over this.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:44 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:and LaRussa will manage no more. I will not lose sleep over this.

BringTonyLaRussaToBC.blogspot.com
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:47 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:and LaRussa will manage no more. I will not lose sleep over this.

BringTonyLaRussaToBC.blogspot.com

I am 100% convinced that TLR as head coach would have won at least 6 games with this team (if not more)...

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:48 pm

TLR is consistently disparaged but his track record speaks for itself:

Most postseason wins by a National League team during that span: 50.
Most postseason series won by a NL team: 12.
Most NL pennants won: three.
Two World Series championships, tied with Florida for the most in the league since 1996.
Some 1,408 regular-season wins, second in the NL to Atlanta's 1,478.
3rd most all-time wins.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:43 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

Two World Series championships, tied with Florida for the most in the league since 1996.
3rd most all-time wins.

I don't like him because he's annoying, whiny and makes the game more boring and slow. I know he's a great manager (Teddy doesn't think so, I think).
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:44 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

3rd most all-time wins.

I don't like him because he's annoying, whiny and makes the game more boring and slow. I know he's a great manager (Teddy doesn't think so, I think).

He does all of those things and he is an overrated manager. He's not a bad manager, but he certainly isn't great.

Let's put it this way, he's better than Francona.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:01 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

3rd most all-time wins.

He does all of those things and he is an overrated manager. He's not a bad manager, but he certainly isn't great.

TLR has had a huge impact on how the game is played (for better or worse). he redefined the closer position, led the current trend toward building and using a strong bullpen, etc. 9903 is right though; he does whine a lot (typically to his advantage) and the games are slower. a lot of people do not like him... however, after watching the results he has produced over the past 16 years, i must admit i am not in that group.

as for francona, the guy led the team to 2 world series title... and broke the supposed curse. i give the guy a lot of credit for that. would i want him STL managing? i can't really say as i dont know the redsox close enough to make an informed opinion. i do know though that STL organization is trending toward an statistics based approach with old school scouting mixed in. this heavy reliance on statistics alienates a lot of managers... the old school baseball types. that is why this hire will be very interesting.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:56 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

3rd most all-time wins.

TLR has had a huge impact on how the game is played (for better or worse). he redefined the closer position, led the current trend toward building and using a strong bullpen, etc. 9903 is right though; he does whine a lot (typically to his advantage) and the games are slower. a lot of people do not like him... however, after watching the results he has produced over the past 16 years, i must admit i am not in that group.

as for francona, the guy led the team to 2 world series title... and broke the supposed curse. i give the guy a lot of credit for that. would i want him STL managing? i can't really say as i dont know the redsox close enough to make an informed opinion. i do know though that STL organization is trending toward an statistics based approach with old school scouting mixed in. this heavy reliance on statistics alienates a lot of managers... the old school baseball types. that is why this hire will be very interesting.

Crediting LaRussa with redefining the closer position means you are either too young to know baseball or are blinded by LaRussa's self proclaimed genius. LaRussa was with the White Sox losing a ton and not looking like much of a genius when the closer position was redefined. From 1982 to 1987, Jeff Reardon had season save totals of 26, 21, 23, 41, 35, 31. By 1987, Reardon had 177 saves over his previous 7 seasons. He went on from 1988 to 1992 to post save totals of 42, 31, 21, 40, 30. Bruce Suter retired the year that Eckersly supposedly became the first close with 300 saves. Fingers had 341 saves. Gossage had 302.

LaRussa should be credited with deciding that closers can only go 1 inning; for that matter deciding that no relief pitcher should go more than a couple of batters. I don't see that as a good development, and one that was shattered for the most part during the early part of the greatest closer of all time's career when he frequently entered in the 8th inning.

And again, there was no curse, and the drought was broken with John Henry's money, not the genius of Theo Epstein or Terry Francona.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Previous

Return to Shea Field