Mets Weirdos

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:55 am

flyingelvii wrote:Not until his current contract is up. Since all of baseball's contracts are guaranteed, you can't just tear them up like football and make a new deal.


I thought you could do this as long as the player is getting a raise. If you're right, I like this offer even less.
Hello
User avatar
DavidGordonsFoot
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9724
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm
Location: Not tobaccoroad
Karma: 1823

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:56 pm

DavidGordonsFoot wrote:
flyingelvii wrote:Not until his current contract is up. Since all of baseball's contracts are guaranteed, you can't just tear them up like football and make a new deal.


I thought you could do this as long as the player is getting a raise. If you're right, I like this offer even less.

You might be confusing that with when teams buy out arbitration and pre-arbitration years, like the Rays did with Longoria a few years back. Kind of like the Wright situation, the big extension they gave him doesn't kick in until the original one runs its course.
flyingelvii
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 4113
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 386

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby claver2010 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:58 am

DavidGordonsFoot wrote:
claver2010 wrote:Mets made a big offer to Wright today rumored 7 for $135-140


Would this rumored deal start immediately or not until 2014? I understand it's the nature of the beast, but I hate to see $20 million committed to a third baseman when they're 36, 37, 38 years old (ellipsis) Look at 3Bs Wright's career compares to, like Scott Rolen and Robin Ventura. Both hit the wall at 36. If Wright were in the same company as Chipper Jones, Wade Boggs and George Brett, guys who produced in their late 30s, I wouldn't care, but I think Wright is a cut below a HOFer.


First, I'm biased and love Wright.

Two things, the vast majority of these long term deals are net losses for the team. Is he a $20 MM player? Nope, but if he goes to free agency next winter he's going to get around the same deal because so few players actually get to free agency of Wright's caliber. More and more we're seeing deals signed pre arbitration (just look at Niese) which I think is good for the game. Whether you agree/like Keith Law or not, look at his top 5 FA position players for this winter:
1) BJ Upton
2) Hamilton
3) Bourne
4) Swisher
5) Napoli

Pretty brutal list.
User avatar
claver2010
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13223
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 1515

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:02 pm

I think 7 years for $122 million is fair for both sides.
Hello
User avatar
DavidGordonsFoot
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9724
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm
Location: Not tobaccoroad
Karma: 1823

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby claver2010 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:17 am

I know this might not be the popular move, but I wouldn't be against getting a ransom for Dickey from Texas. I'm sure the calls of the Mets being cheap, freddy coupon, blah blah blah would rain down but the mets' strenght right now is starting pitching.

2013:
Dickey
Santana
Niese
Harvey
Gee
Wheeler in mid-2013

I know you can never have too much starting pitching but their window for making a real run at this starts in 2014 once the $50 MM of Santana & Bay are off the books, Harvey has been in the bigs for a year and a half and Wheeler already has his feet wet in the bigs. Sure they can win in '13 behind those arms but reality is Dickey is a 38 year old knuckleballer, you never know when the wheels could come off (maybe that's just my Mets pessimism)
User avatar
claver2010
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13223
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 1515

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:19 pm

I'm with you. Did you see Adam Rubin's article on ESPNNY last week? Good breakdown of all the issues the team is facing. His second bullet point is the starting outfield and I couldn't agree more. Especially the corners.

I'm OK with them giving Nieuwenhuis another shot at center. And I think Valdespin has promise and should start the year in left, even though I expect a sophomore slump.

But the Mets can't have three projects in the outfield. They need a veteran out there, and none of the options from 2012 fit the bill.

Duda is not an outfielder. The increase in K/AB ratio and decrease in doubles despite having 100 more ABs in 2012 is alarming. He was a question mark even before he broke his wrist. I'd be more patient with him if he projected to be a 30 HR hitter, but there's been no indication that Duda is capable of hitting that many bombs.

Baxter is a great story being from Whitestone and all, but he has no pop and lacks speed on the basepaths to make up for it.

Hairston is not an everyday player and wants a multi-year deal. He had the second best year of his career at age 32 and is not likely to repeat that performance.

Torres was a disaster here and shouldn't be re-signed.

I would love to see the Mets swing a deal for Justin Upton. I know there are question marks about his character, but he's only 25 and is under contract for the next 3 years for $38.5 million. Would Dickey and Wilmer Flores be enough to get AZ to bite?
Hello
User avatar
DavidGordonsFoot
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9724
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm
Location: Not tobaccoroad
Karma: 1823

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:39 pm

Olney reporting Mets are making serious progress towards Dickey trade.
User avatar
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 11495
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:25 pm
Location: A Chalupa Stand
Karma: 2602

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby claver2010 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:03 pm

DavidGordonsFoot wrote:I'm with you. Did you see Adam Rubin's article on ESPNNY last week? Good breakdown of all the issues the team is facing. His second bullet point is the starting outfield and I couldn't agree more. Especially the corners.

I'm OK with them giving Nieuwenhuis another shot at center. And I think Valdespin has promise and should start the year in left, even though I expect a sophomore slump.

But the Mets can't have three projects in the outfield. They need a veteran out there, and none of the options from 2012 fit the bill.

Duda is not an outfielder. The increase in K/AB ratio and decrease in doubles despite having 100 more ABs in 2012 is alarming. He was a question mark even before he broke his wrist. I'd be more patient with him if he projected to be a 30 HR hitter, but there's been no indication that Duda is capable of hitting that many bombs.

Baxter is a great story being from Whitestone and all, but he has no pop and lacks speed on the basepaths to make up for it.

Hairston is not an everyday player and wants a multi-year deal. He had the second best year of his career at age 32 and is not likely to repeat that performance.

Torres was a disaster here and shouldn't be re-signed.

I would love to see the Mets swing a deal for Justin Upton. I know there are question marks about his character, but he's only 25 and is under contract for the next 3 years for $38.5 million. Would Dickey and Wilmer Flores be enough to get AZ to bite?


First would love that deal from the Mets POV but don't think AZ would bite. I'm just not sure what they're doing, dealing one of the best prospect arms in the league in Bauer.

Really think Baxter/Valdespin/Hairston are all bench players at best. Like all 3 for things they bring but they shouldn't be starting.

I have no problem letting Kirk play CF.

With Duda, what Duda are you going to get? The 2011 (.292/.370/.482) or the 2012 (.239/.329/.389)? Cause if you're getting the 2012 Duda, you can't live with his D in RF. Extrapolating 2011 over 600 ABs gives you .292/20 homeruns/40 doubles/100 RBI. That would be pretty good in the middle of the order.

Sounds like trade talks for Dickey have started to heat up with Blue Jays, Texas, & Angels the front runners.
User avatar
claver2010
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13223
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 1515

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:29 pm

claver2010 wrote:
Sounds like trade talks for Dickey have started to heat up with Blue Jays, Texas, & Angels the front runners.


I'm scouring their rosters for veteran hitters and I don't see much to excited about. Jose Bautista? Nelson Cruz? I may :gun if the trade involves the names "Vernon" or "Wells."
Hello
User avatar
DavidGordonsFoot
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9724
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm
Location: Not tobaccoroad
Karma: 1823

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:15 am

I would do Dickey for d'Arnaud & an arm, he was ranked #5 prospect overall midseason last year

Let's face it Thole, is purely a back up who has been given 500 ABs
User avatar
claver2010
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13223
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 1515

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:41 am

claver2010 wrote:I would do Dickey for d'Arnaud & an arm, he was ranked #5 prospect overall midseason last year

Let's face it Thole, is purely a back up who has been given 500 ABs


Agree that Thole is not the answer. He had been given ample opportunity.

I looked over d'Arnaud's minor league #s. I wouldn't be against him being the centerpiece of the deal as long as the Mets don't have to take any of Toronto's dead weight in return. It would be rich to haunt Philly with one of their former top prospects.
Hello
User avatar
DavidGordonsFoot
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9724
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm
Location: Not tobaccoroad
Karma: 1823

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:07 am

Sounds like we'll get our CF as well, Anthony Gose

Write up 2012 preseason:

Gose isn't a finished product, but he has made enormous strides in the 18 months since Toronto acquired him from Philadelphia by way of Houston, and is young enough that forecasting additional growth for him makes sense.

He is a 70 runner with an 80 arm who can run everything down in center field. In high school he was all tools and had no clue as a hitter -- he was an uncoordinated hacker with no consistency to his stance or weight transfer. Now Gose stays back better and repeats his swing in a way he couldn't before, resulting in higher-quality contact and the chance for average power. His two-strike approach still needs work -- because it doesn't really exist -- and the Blue Jays want to have him work more on shooting the ball to left and even on bunting for hits to make use of his speed.

His defense alone makes him a big leaguer, and even a modest improvement in the two-strike approach makes him a regular, with an All-Star ceiling if he continues to make these large adjustments.
User avatar
claver2010
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13223
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 1515

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:55 pm

DavidGordonsFoot wrote:
claver2010 wrote:I would do Dickey for d'Arnaud & an arm, he was ranked #5 prospect overall midseason last year

Let's face it Thole, is purely a back up who has been given 500 ABs


Agree that Thole is not the answer. He had been given ample opportunity.

I looked over d'Arnaud's minor league #s. I wouldn't be against him being the centerpiece of the deal as long as the Mets don't have to take any of Toronto's dead weight in return. It would be rich to haunt Philly with one of their former top prospects.



I'm good with the trade. 2 solid prospects and we don't have to deal with Thole anymore. Pretty solid "sell high" trade.
User avatar
2001Eagle
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1487
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:26 pm
Karma: 334

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:15 pm

Image
Boston College Basketball
Buell, Ryan
DeLuca, Fred
Harper, Valerie
James, Clive
Johnson, Wilko
Redner, Joe
Simon, Sam
Thorson, Scott
Travis, Randy
Yousafzai, Malala
User avatar
TobaccoRoadEagle
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 8482
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am
Location: tobaccoroad
Karma: 3638

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:49 pm

I didn't even know Shaun Marcum was a free agent. His elbow must be a mess, because I can't think of any other explanation for why he was still available and willing to take a 1-year deal. This is a 31-year old with a career 3.76 ERA, 1.224 WHIP and 7.3 K/9 ratio.

The Braves trade for Upton is killer.
Hello
User avatar
DavidGordonsFoot
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9724
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm
Location: Not tobaccoroad
Karma: 1823

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby claver2010 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:59 am

Mets trainers get loudly booed, a tradition unlike any other
User avatar
claver2010
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13223
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 1515

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:12 pm

claver2010 wrote:Mets trainers get loudly booed, a tradition unlike any other


Love it.

I'm against opening the season in places where it is still fucking cold, but they got a nice day for it.
Hello
User avatar
DavidGordonsFoot
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9724
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm
Location: Not tobaccoroad
Karma: 1823

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby commavegarage on Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:20 am

DavidGordonsFoot wrote:
claver2010 wrote:Mets trainers get loudly booed, a tradition unlike any other


Love it.

I'm against opening the season in places where it is still fucking cold, but they got a nice day for it.


They seem to get lucky...I went a couple of years ago and it was north of 70.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 5018
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:33 pm
Karma: 281

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:48 pm

big game tonight. any chance mlb network picks this up now that the red sox game has been postponed?
Hello
User avatar
DavidGordonsFoot
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9724
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm
Location: Not tobaccoroad
Karma: 1823

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby claver2010 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:27 pm

would be awesome

i guess minaya did do something good for the org, draft harvey

schilling said he'd take harvey over strasburg, whether you agree w him or not the fact that it's a conversation is impressive
User avatar
claver2010
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13223
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 1515

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:02 pm

claver2010 wrote:would be awesome

i guess minaya did do something good for the org, draft harvey

schilling said he'd take harvey over strasburg, whether you agree w him or not the fact that it's a conversation is impressive


agreed, the fact that there is an argument to be made is enough to make us smile.

i didn't see the schilling quote, but i'm sure he prefers harvey because harvey is thicker in the lower body

fwiw, david price tweeted that harvey is his favorite pitcher who isn't a teammate and doc tweeted that harvey pitches like a ten year vet.
Hello
User avatar
DavidGordonsFoot
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9724
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm
Location: Not tobaccoroad
Karma: 1823

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:00 pm

yuge night for da mets. yuge.
Hello
User avatar
DavidGordonsFoot
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9724
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm
Location: Not tobaccoroad
Karma: 1823

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby HJS on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:07 pm

At the risk of being banned by Murt, the WSJ had a little write-up on the managerial stylings of Logitano's BFF (Jeff Wilpon).
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 06116.html
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 10168
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 77

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:23 pm

Adam Rubin's saying that Wheeler could get called up next week.
Hello
User avatar
DavidGordonsFoot
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9724
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm
Location: Not tobaccoroad
Karma: 1823

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby eaglecaddy on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:28 pm

DavidGordonsFoot wrote:Adam Rubin's saying that Wheeler could get called up next week.


The Mets should have replaced Omar with Adam Rubin even just for a season.
Letting Mike Milbury quit as coach just destroyed BC Hockey forever. BC should just put hockey out of its misery nobody is ever going to topple BU rather than bother with another washed up alum.-TWBALLGAME9 (Letter to Eagleaction Magazine June 1994)
eaglecaddy
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:18 pm
Karma: 247

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby claver2010 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:07 am

this sucks
User avatar
claver2010
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13223
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 1515

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:13 am

claver2010 wrote:this sucks


well, its all relative... for example, it would be like removing chase from last year's football team. sure he's a great player and the team wouldn't have lost as closely as they did in some of those games, but in the end the rest of the team was still pretty bad
Boston College Basketball
Buell, Ryan
DeLuca, Fred
Harper, Valerie
James, Clive
Johnson, Wilko
Redner, Joe
Simon, Sam
Thorson, Scott
Travis, Randy
Yousafzai, Malala
User avatar
TobaccoRoadEagle
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 8482
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am
Location: tobaccoroad
Karma: 3638

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:40 am

claver2010 wrote:this sucks


It does, but I felt it was inevitable. Seems to happen to most young phenoms these days.

I'm avoiding the FAN for the rest of the week, the stupidity is going to be off the charts.
Hello
User avatar
DavidGordonsFoot
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9724
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm
Location: Not tobaccoroad
Karma: 1823

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:42 am

pretty crushing. the only optimistic take i can think of is that they wouldn't have had the hitters/team ready to contend for real next year and Harvey will be back by 2015 when it's time.

that said, boy do the mets have some bad luck. straw and gooden snorting a dynasty up their noses really cursed the franchise.
User avatar
2001Eagle
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1487
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:26 pm
Karma: 334

Re: Mets Weirdos

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:47 am

It's like the late 80s/early 90s Celtics. Always wonder what would have happened to Bird and McHale careers if they could have gone a few years with Bias and Lewis as backups. Losing those two guys to tragic deaths killed the franchise, and it only recovered because of the nature of the NBA (fewer players, easier to assemble a team in FA)
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 19338
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 1491

PreviousNext

Return to Shea Field

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Untitled document